BABY the musical

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#0BABY the musical
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:08pm

does anyone know where I could find info on BABY? I have searched the web far and wide...I am lost =B

shesings
#1re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:25pm

well paper mill is doing it this season so maybe their website would have some info regarding the show - synopsis, songs, something along those lines

Erich Profile Photo
Erich
#2re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:26pm

It is a musical written by Maltby & Shire (Starting Here Starting Now, Big The Musical, Closer Than Ever) that played in 1983. It was a flop, but most people thought it was the best score of that year. Frankly, I think of it as the best score of the 80's. Liz Callaway was in it. I think she was nominated for a Tony for it, though I could be wrong. Todd Graff was also in it. He later wrote and directed the film, CAMP. The show was about a young, a middle, and an older couple all trying to have a baby. It turned out such musical theatre classics as "The Story Goes On, I Chose Right, and I Want It All."

Im not sure what other information to give you. Im sure other people can provide more.

AnothaPartofMe
#3re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:29pm

MTI holds licensing rights for it... BABY offers a great score. Beth Fowler (currently Marion Woolnough in The Boy from Oz, also starred in the original).

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#4re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/21/04 at 11:32pm

Go to the link below for a detailed synopsis. BEWARE, this website had many obnoxious pop-up adds.

musicalheaven.com

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#5re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 12:39am

it's headed off to broadway sometime soon. got wonderful reviews.

MargoChanning
#6re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 12:51am

A great, great score and the OBC album is a treasure. It's a perfect "little" show that will probably never be viable enough for Broadway, but perhaps might get a decent run someday Off-Broadway (though, with the crazy economics for small musicals off-Broadway, I doubt it). Regional theatre is probably its ideal home -- a first-rate collection of good singer/actors could do it as well (if not better) than anything we'll likely see in NYC in the near future. A terrific show.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#7re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 1:12am

Margo - wasn't Liz Calloway involved in the original company?

BWayBoy88
#8re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 1:31am

Yes Liz Calloway was in the original Baby.

jo
#9re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:15am

Thanks for the link to the synopsis.

A production of the show will be staged here in Manila next month and I have no idea about the musical itself. Lea Salonga will be in one of the lead roles, opposite David Shannon ( a West End actor most known for the lead role in A Beautiful Game, also for major roles in productions of Miss Saigon and Les Miserables).

jo
#10re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:15am

Sorry, double post -- Updated On: 7/22/04 at 04:15 AM

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#11re: BABY the musical
Posted: 7/22/04 at 7:39am

I saw the original production on Broadway and Loved it !!!

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Videos