#0The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 10:47pm

Donna Murphy truly deserves a bit more credit for her
acting skills. Theater has been giving her the attention
she deserves, but what about Hollywood?

In my opinion, she deserves to be offered a heck of alot
of better parts in movies and tv.

What do you think?

I am not myself, but i become a character in itself, to only hope that my transformation is not of me, but of whom i characterize myself to be..

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 10:54pm

There is a list of Broadway people who deserve the same. Donna is one of many.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 10:57pm

She seems as of now to be one of those people you see on random episodes of TV shows or one of the supporting roles in a movie. Not everyone knows Donna Murphy like Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller, Nicole Kidman, etc.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 10:59pm

That's correct - because she's not a movie star. But she is getting a lot more roles than most Broadway leading players.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

AvalonSkysStudios Profile Photo
AvalonSkysStudios
#4re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:01pm

Well, i know that she might not be well known,
but i think that Hollywood producers and directors need to
open their eyes and see what kind of talent is on Broadway.

I am not myself, but i become a character in itself, to only hope that my transformation is not of me, but of whom i characterize myself to be..

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#5re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:04pm

Anyone catch her in the movie Center Stage? Also, in one of the dance scenes at the Broadway Dance Studio, JoAnn Hunter is there. She was the Gloria in Thoroughly Modern Millie.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:05pm

Avalon, you're preaching to the choir on this board.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#7re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:19pm

did we see center satge? puh-lease. I love Donna, I think she's a fabulous performer, one of the many greats of our time for sure.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#8re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:50pm

I have to echo the sentimentt of Rathnait - preaching to the choir here. Donna Murphy is a tremendous talent. There is SO much talent here, and oftentimes these people do not get the kind of recognition they deserve - that's why our collective blood boils every time a flash-in-the-pan pop-tart appears on Broadway or film

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

BWayBoy88
#9re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:54pm

Who was she in Centerstage? I havent seen that movie in a while.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#10re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/23/04 at 11:57pm

she was Juliette Simone, the teacher

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

BWayBoy88
#11re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:03am

Really? I guess I didnt realize that was her when I saw it. Ill have to watch it.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#12re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:08am

You can always recognize Donna Murphy in a movie. Look for the woman with more class in her little finger than the rest of the cast combined. That'll be her.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

thtrehead12 Profile Photo
thtrehead12
#13re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:24am

she's very well rounded. she could flip flop between broadway to movie star overnight and no one could tell the difference.

she was also in spider man. she played doc oct's wife.

boborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
#14re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:40am

she was a babe in center stage.

Maybe she doesn't want to be on tv. Maybe she likes live theater more

Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.

BWayBoy88
#15re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:43am

Isnt she going to be on a TV show this season?

#16re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 12:59am

Just for balance in the discussion - not everyone who is proficient on stage can act for screen (small or big.) Just as many who have names for their screen work can't make the transition to live acting, those in the theatre can't always 'scale back' their performances to work on film or video. Ian McKellan, who is arguably one of the greatest stage actors ever, had GREAT difficulty when he first started making films - he was just too 'big.' Obviously, if the capability is there (and it frequently is) then the talent should be utilized. But simply being great on stage doesn't mean you should automatically be given film work. In many ways it's apples and oranges. Just ask some of the stars who bomb out in New York re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy

skingdom
#17re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 2:34am

If Donna Murphy wanted to be in more movies or television...if she wanted to do other than what she is doing she could absolutely do it...it is up to her...in her own hands and in her control.

As is everything else in many people's lives they just dont realize it.

AvalonSkysStudios Profile Photo
AvalonSkysStudios
#18re: The Next Diva of Broadway is... Donna Murphy
Posted: 7/24/04 at 9:48am

i agree with skingkingdom, she does have the choice to do tv/movies and whatnot.

Center Stage is one oen of my favorite movies, and she has this great diversity anytime she plays a role.

As she once said "i never want to do something the same way i did it before. I want to surprise others and myself"

oh, & srry for "preaching to the choir" but i was ,or at least trying to, state the fact.

Videos