Revivals

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#50re: Revivals
Posted: 7/2/03 at 1:19pm

I would love a great revival of TAKE ME ALONG, to clear the show's good name after the underbaked, underfinanced Goodspeed revival tanked on Broadway in 1985. It's a lovely show.

Nathan Lane is a big Jackie Gleason fan, and he'd be terrific in the role of Sid Davis, for which Gleason won a Tony Award. Deven May would be great as the overly dramatic Richard Miller, created by Robert Morse, and maybe opposite Jessica Grove as Muriel Macomber. In a Closer than Ever reunion, Sally Mayes could play Essie and Lynne Wintersteller as Lily. Haven't come up with a Nat Miller...but I'm working on it.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#51re: Revivals
Posted: 7/2/03 at 6:40pm

Stevo, you were associated with a production of SHADOW BOX and didn't play Mark?!?! what gives? but thanks, that's a good tip about that strain of cancer.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

#52re: Revivals
Posted: 7/2/03 at 9:07pm

To be honest I can't imagine any show originally produced after 1980 that should be revived anytime soon, but that's just my opinion.

Three I would add to the long list of musicals to revive would be:
1. The Golden Apple
2. The Apple Tree
3. Lady in the Dark (Encores! doesn't count-yuk!)

Yours for a better Broadway!

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#53re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/3/03 at 1:16pm

I like TAKE ME ALONG as well. Though Nathan Lane would be good in the Gleason role, I also think John Goodman would do well there. For Nat, someone who has played the legit version (AH WILDERNESS) is Craig Nelson. I don't recall how much singing Nat has however; it was originally played by Cohan (WILDERNESS, not TAKE ME ALONG). After A THOUSAND CLOWNS, I could even see Tom Selleck as Nat. He's got a name that could help sell the show I think.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

TheatreNut
#54re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/3/03 at 9:52pm

Of the ones Mr. Roxy mentioned, I think BARNUM has the best chance of being revived soon. It IS just pure fun entertainment. I would like to see a revival of A FUNNY THING HAPPENED..... but I doubt that will happen in the near future. While I love and respect ALW, I do believe that CATS needs to go away for a while. It has been beaten to death for 20 years. Even my mother, who knows nothing about musicals and is tone deaf, has seen it. Maybe in 15 years or so when a new generation of theatre-goers has come around it will be brought back.

One more thought: Bring Assassins to Broadway!

broadwayguy2
#55re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/3/03 at 9:54pm

Assassins is supposed to go into Studio54 after Cabaret closes.

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#56re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/3/03 at 9:55pm

I think, if they do what they did with Cabaret, Assasins will be a smash!

W3B Profile Photo
W3B
#57re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/4/03 at 2:55pm

Just have to say, Scooter, I don't know you, but I'm LOVING you.

I never thought of Vicki Lewis as Mabel, I can REALLY see that.

Also I was just happy to see someone mention Vicki Lewis. When I started talking to my american friends lots of them started comparing me to Vicki Lewis, but as most British people don't know who she is, I didn't know her. (By NAME. I later found out I'd loved her for years and never put the face to the name.) anyway, I have the long red hair and my acting technique is similar, if you get what I mean. (sarcastic. lol)
Anyway, I'm rambling about myself, so I think I'll shut up now. I just like it when people tell me I'm a 'mini Vicki Lewis' so I had to mention it, for anybody who actually felt like reading this. lol

......Shutting up now......

Oh, and the Pajama Game, and Redhead. Fosse. Always good. re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals

"In a really well-written musical, you talk until you just can't talk anymore, you're going to have to sing. And when you're just so full you can't sing anymore, then you have to dance. It's a natural progression." ~Bebe Neuwirth

PJ
#58re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/4/03 at 7:50pm

Who knows if Cabaret is closing. I think they need to bring a BIG name to the role of Sally to boost up ticket sales. Not that theyre having trouble in that area, that I know of. I just mean to insure it's going to stay put. Cabaret's a great show and I would hate to see it close.

broadwayguy2
#59re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/4/03 at 10:01pm

Roundabout has said that Cabaret will be closing in about a year. They have made NO issue about saying that.

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#60re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/4/03 at 10:31pm

Yes, I heard also that Cabaret is closing within in year. Ihope my facts are correct. My new career is announcing future shows. :=)

I have to see Cabaret before it closes but I am waiting for someone that I think would do a really good job in it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#61re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/4/03 at 10:46pm

Jon Secada is really good as the Emcee.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#62re: Revivals
Posted: 7/5/03 at 8:25am

I've heard that Assassins is planning a late winter opening (Feb/March '04). If it is still slated for Studio 54, then
perhaps that suggests Cabaret will run through the end of the
year.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

MusicalDirector109
#63re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/5/03 at 8:57am

I would love to see revivals of:
"A Little Night Music" - I know City Opera just did one but what an enchanting score!
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
and "La Cage"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/5/03 at 9:09am

How about " I Had A BAll " ?

I love the score & looking at photos from the show it looks like fun. How about Nathan Lane in the Budddy Hackett role ( with added songs - perhaps some of those cut from the original show)& Brian Stokes Mitchell in the Richard Kiley Role

Poster Emeritus

#65re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/5/03 at 9:13am

CABARET can't close yet! The Olsen twins haven't had their turn as Sally.

Victoria Grant Profile Photo
Victoria Grant
#66re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/10/03 at 11:27am

I would love to see revivals of:

Meet Me In St. Louis.
Me & My Girl
The Mikado
H.M.S. Pinafore

Drama Revival:

Black Comedy

dancindeeva Profile Photo
dancindeeva
#67re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/10/03 at 11:45am

OMG i just read this, the Olsen twins, that is just about the funniest thing i have ever heard :) The scary thing is that it is not that far fetched, it seems like almost anyone with a name can get a shot at the role. Sad for the people who actually have talent like Heather Laws who covers the role during transitions between "stars"

"I will not be the girl who gets asked how it feels, to be trotting along at the genius's heels, I will not be the girl who requires a man to get by!" L5Y

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#68re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/10/03 at 12:15pm

When, oh when will someone revive THE ROBBER BRIDEGROOM. I love this show and think it would be great in one of the smaller houses. Although Bostwick won the Tony for this show it was overshadowed by bigger productions and never really got it's due respect. I think it would be a huge hit.

PEACE.

TheatreNut
#69re: re: re: re: re: re: Revivals
Posted: 7/10/03 at 11:44pm

OOOOOOOO- Black Comedy! I totally forgot about that show. Wow how things slip the mind easily.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#70The Pajama Game
Posted: 7/13/03 at 11:50pm

I also agree with the Pajama Game. I remember seeing pictures of a production with brent Barrett and Karen Ziemba. I don't know what happened to that. But I think Jane Krakowski would make an awesome Babe. I would keep Brent as Sid, though.

MagicRoy
#71re: The Pajama Game
Posted: 7/18/03 at 11:19am

the book for the Pajama Game needs to be reworked....and Lewis J. Stadlen as Hines

My Fair Lady....Kelsey Grammar would make a great Higgins (this is Frasier's last season)

And Nathan Lane and John Lithgow in La Cage....