We Will Rock You

Clopin73 Profile Photo
Clopin73
#0We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:13pm

Has anyone seeon this musical on the West End? It celebrates the music of Queen ala Mamma Mia approach. Was it good? CD sounds fun and I believe gets released on Aug 24. Anyone have any insight..

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#1re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:23pm

The CD for We Will Rock You is already released. I didn't get to see it when I was over in London but my friend absolutely loves it.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#2re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 8:41pm

Queen Likes Odds For 'Rock You' In Vegas

Queen is getting ready to rock Las Vegas. The legendary rock group's stage musical "We Will Rock You," which has been playing to sold-out crowds in London since 2002, will make its North American debut at the Paris Las Vegas hotel on the Strip.

Preview performances start in August; the show's official premiere is scheduled for Sept. 8. "Rock You" is planning to stay at Paris for 10 years, with options to extend its run to 20 years. Tickets are priced at $80.50, $97 and $113.50.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

judy_in_disguise
#3re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 9:00pm

There is a thread on this somewhere.
It's coming to Toronto this season, the Mirvishes are bringing it in.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#4re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 11:04pm

Saw it in London. The music is fantastic, so is the orchestra (they have the most amazing musicians). The cast was good, some great voices. But don't get me started on the story. It has most probably the worst plot I have ever seen (well, there is one show that even beat the mindless plot of WWRY and was funnily enough written by the same person!!!).

The story was so repulsive that me and my friends burst out laughing too many times during the show.

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#5re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/11/04 at 11:22pm

The plot is horrible, but the cast was amazing. I love the music as well. The plot, again, is dreadful. Then again, it is supposed to be. At least, that is my opinion.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#6re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 2:16am

THIS SHOW KICKS ASS!!! It will run for 600 years, not 10. The story is its weak point but I don't give a **** cause it's a musical.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#7re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 2:23am

I love Tony Vincent though so I can imagine him being very good.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#8re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 4:34am

Based on the London cast recording and what I've heard from people who have seen it, the show itself is not too good and, to someone with discriminating musical theatre tastes, is unbearably ridiculous. This is, of course, due to the story and script. The music and individual performances are spectacular. Queen is the greatest rock band ever and deserves a much better musical than WWRY. Luckily they're smart enough not to try it on Broadway as it is. If there's anywhere for this "Rock Spectacle" it's Vegas.

I was in Vegas last weekend and there are ads up everywhere. Performances start August 16. I'll probably catch it later this month just to see Tony Vincent. Plus it's been awhile since any of my money has gone into Brian May's pocket.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#9re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 5:29am

It is in my top 3 worst theatrical experiences of all time. The other 2 are Beautiful Game (book by Ben Elton) and Tonight's The Night (book and direction by Ben Elton). Can we see a theme?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

JakeB
#10re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 6:58am

Worst show I've ever seen. A disgrace from beginning to end.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#11re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 7:08am

it's really a shame. Queen's music has always been so delightfully theatrical, it's always seemed destined to be the basis for a musical. It's easy to hear how their music is influenced by various genres, including classical and contemporary musical theatre. Freddie Mercury was a true genius, both musically and creatively, with a great ability to tell a story through his music. If he were alive now, he'd undoubtedly be able to put together a much better show than WWRY.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

popcultureboy
#12re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 8:16am

If he were alive, Freddie Mercury might also point out that his songs were not designed to be sung 8 times a week. All the principal performers in WWRY have had tremendous vocal problems because of it.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

rockfenris2005
#13re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/12/04 at 8:26am

This musical is BOGUS! I saw it in Melbourne and started questioning the quality of its theatre. The year before they had Witches of Eastwick, one of the weakest musicals I have seen (beside this). At least they made a comeback with Producers... which I haven't seen yet. Honestly, Elton should quit his job and get back to writing books re: We Will Rock You

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific
Updated On: 8/12/04 at 08:26 AM

AnnaB Profile Photo
AnnaB
#14re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/13/04 at 11:40am

First saw We Will Rock You in Perth, less than a month later I had gone back another 2 times. It's fantastic. I am singularly willing to fly over to Las Vegas, England, Brisbane where ever just to see it again. Seriously, if the writing is so bad then how come it has managed to entertain thousands of audiences over the world, making them laugh so hard then smoothly bring them if not to near tears? The plot may be a little out there but it's different and extremely clever. And if it really is that bad then how come it has had a standing ovation every night it has been performed with nearly sell out crowds each time?

But popcultureboy is right; the cast really have to look out for their voices as its pretty rough on your vocal chords. Brilliant singing though…

'Rhymes with banker...'

popcultureboy
#15re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/13/04 at 11:55am

I love that your example of how genius the book for WWRY is "Rhymes with banker."

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#16re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/13/04 at 11:57am

Is tony Vincent in the Las Vegas production?

popcultureboy
#17re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/13/04 at 11:59am

Yes, though mercifully he has an alternate this time around.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#18re: We Will Rock You
Posted: 8/13/04 at 12:12pm

AnnaB, WWRY in London hasn't been sold out for ages, the show is at TKTS all the time, even on Saturday evenings. When I saw it the theatre was half empty. I will give it another year (max) and then WWRY is history in London.

I doubt audiences are entertained by the story (yes, there was occasional laughter, but I am certain that's because someone was telling jokes in the audience!!!), they are entertained by the music. It's Queen and their music is f***ing amazing (excuse my French). That's why people go and see the show and not because of the brilliant story.

I was very disappointed in Ben Elton's writing skills. He is a very intelligent, gifted man and I even enjoyed The Beautiful Game but what was he on when he wrote WWRY and Tonight's The Night (or The Rod Stewart Musical, as they call it now)?

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero
Updated On: 8/13/04 at 12:12 PM

Videos