pixeltracker

Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???

Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#0Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:42pm

***That would be the original Australian cast recording...***

First of all... wow. they changed a lot for Broadway.

Second... no one is better than Hugh Jackman... except TODD MCKENNEY!!! (I love his "Everything Old is New Again")

Third... the woman playing Judy Garland (Chrissie Amphlett) looks A LOT like Judy Garland! She sings exactly like her too... it's creepy.

and last... "Quiet Please, There's A Lady on Stage" is waaaaaaay better on this CD.

and I'm mad they cut "I've Been Taught Be Experts" for the Broadway version...!!!! But, opening the show with "Continental American"??? I'm glad they changed that...

any thoughts??? Updated On: 8/15/04 at 09:42 PM

bogey_LIVE
#1re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:43pm

The DIVA playing Judy Garland is way creepy when you see her on stage. I seriously thought She arose from the dead. I know nothing about the original show.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#2re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:46pm

I really enjoyed the show on Broadway and didn't know it played down under first.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
Updated On: 8/15/04 at 09:46 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:48pm

Hugh was amazing when I saw him. Deserving of every bit of that Tony.

I was listening to the recording way before I actually saw the show and before I saw Isobel Keating (Judy), I really didn't like her on the album (especially "All I Wanted was the Dream") but live she is incredible! I also wasn't impressed with Beth Fowler until I saw her on stage. She gave me chills during "Don't Cry Out Loud".

Stephanie J. Block is also amazing, on the cd, on the stage...wow!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#4re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:48pm

You guys mean Isabel Keating? OMG... I saw the show twice and was blown away by her performance. She was amazing. And yes it is creepy how much she looks like her in full Judy makeup. She looks nothing like that outside the show.

or were you refering to the actress who originated the role in Australia?
I haven't heard the original only the Bway version with Hugh. And being the bias person I am... even if I heard the other version I'd be siding with Hugh being the better out of the two.

"You can't stop someone who wants to be an artist. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it... Work as hard as you can on the things you can work on. Until it seems like there is no possible chance you're going to succeed, don't give up." ~ANDREW ASNES avatar: me and jason gillman... in the pouring rain.

bogey_LIVE
#5re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 9:51pm

I am talking about Isabel Keating. My stomach churned everytime she came on stage.

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#6re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:09pm

you have to admit it was a good stomach churn.

"You can't stop someone who wants to be an artist. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it... Work as hard as you can on the things you can work on. Until it seems like there is no possible chance you're going to succeed, don't give up." ~ANDREW ASNES avatar: me and jason gillman... in the pouring rain.

bogey_LIVE
#7re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:15pm

she was way too good.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#8re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:20pm

Everyone in the Broadway TBFO is soo friken talented and very sweet.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

CATSNYrevival
#9re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:23pm

Dude, I meant the original, original cast... TODD MCKENNEY (Peter), CHRISSIE AMPHLETT (Judy), ANGELA TOOHEY (Liza)... did I confuse you guys???? I'm sorry.... THE AUSTRALIAN CD... Updated On: 8/15/04 at 10:23 PM

bogey_LIVE
#10re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:24pm

no, it's just we knew nothing about that cast, so we decided to talk about the current American one.

CATSNYrevival
#11re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:26pm

well, get the CD, it's awesome!!!

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#12re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:26pm

My bad...CATSNYrevival. I thought you were talking about the American cast. Can't say I've heard the original.

jo
#13re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:46pm

I have the original cast recording with Todd McKenney and listened to it a number of times before I flew to NYC to see the Broadway version. It was a very good introduction for me to the musical. Sorry, but I prefer Hugh Jackman's vocal quality ( though it is not the best I've heard on Broadway) compared to Todd's voice. They changed some of the staging of the songs on Broadway but they fitted the rewritten book and new production.

And Hugh added a lot more to just an impersonation of Peter Allen - he brought in so much energy and panache and a kind of sexiness that made the character so roguish and lovable.

Btw, did you know that producer Ben Gannon first offered the role in the Australian production to Hugh? He turned it down, because fresh from his Sunset Boulevard triumph in Australia, he wanted to try his luck at the West End. He called on his former director and mentor Trevor Nunn and landed the role in the landmark production of OKLAHOMA!... Because of that - he became one of the X-Men and the fame which eventually accrued to him must have been an overriding factor ( other than his sheer multi-talents) on why he became The Boy from Oz on Broadway. If he had played the role in Australia - his fate might have been different and he might not have landed the role on Broadway...or, even maybe, there would not have been a Boy from Oz on the great white way. Ironic, huh?

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#14re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:53pm

No one here has it because it's not Hugh Jackman and only Hugh Jackman can play Peter Allen. lol

CATSNYrevival
#15re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 11:28pm

I can't believe "I Could Have Been a Sailor" isn't in either version of the show... that song is so Peter. or Hugh... which one is it??? I'm not sure....

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#16re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/15/04 at 11:53pm

In the (original) Australian production the role of Peter's mother was played by an Australian legend by the name of Jill Perryman. After hearing her rendition of Don't Cry Out Loud I'm affraid Beth Fowler pales in comparision. Also her accent is a little worrying.

Todd Mc Kenny (the original Peter) made his name as a dancer here, he was the original Billy Lawlor in the Australian 42nd Street. He was ok in the vocals but made up for it in dance dept. Whereas with Hugh it is the other way around.

The show was originally rewritten for Broadway but during previews a lot of Martin Bergmans script was jettisoned in favour of Nick Enright's original. Hence his nomination for a best book Tony. As I heard it the original Broadway book explained a lot more about Peter Allen for Americans who didn't know of him, where this was unneccessary here in Australia as he was a well known face/name. The Australian production didn't interact with the audience as much as the Broadway version. Given all the above the Australian production was as flawed as I understand it's American counterpart is.

liaghatgals
#17re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:51am

I listened extensively to the AU OCR and thorougly enjoyed it. Saddened that the Broadway version couldn't incorporate Tenterfield Saddler which is so autobiographical of Peter's life. I enjoyed Todd McKenny's voice and thought his voice more suited to the "pop style" orchestrations of the show compared to Hugh's which seems more classically trained (albeit his first musical role was in 1995 BATB).

I have the AU program and all costumes are also very different from the Broadway version. I don't think either Hugh nor Todd particularly favor Peter in looks (both are better looking than Peter IMHO). Hugh is wonderful and sexy in the show. I have not seen the AU production live so cannot give an opinion. I hope all AU visitors who have seen the original production downunder keep an open mind and go along for the wonderful ride that is the Broadway production of TBFO!

Jo, I'll see you Sept. 12th!!

Mary

jo
#18re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 5:34am

Yes, Mary - it is going to be a wonderful and memorable weekend. I have never done this before as I have never gone to the closing of a show -- but I will be there for the last performances re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???

Jo

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#19re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:15am

bring your tissues ladies. and this is coming from the girl who rarely cries at movies/shows. when i went in july, yeah i cried at "all i wanted was the dream", " quiet please....", "i honestly love you", and "once before i go". it's going to be a very emotional show since it's closing.

AnothaPartofMe
#20re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:33am

Does anyone have BOY FROM OZ AU cast and want to trade recordings. I really want a copy of the disc because I have the score to the Australian show, and don't know what the music sounds like. PM Me.

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

jo
#21re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:34am

And yet the song that I find to be the most poignant is the opening number "The Lives of Me".

I wonder how he will handle the final BI-COASTAL? Will Sarah Jessica and Matthew be there re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???

jo
#22re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:40am

AnothaPartofMe --

Please check your PM.

Jo

JMVR Profile Photo
JMVR
#23re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:06pm

IMHO the only performance that sounds better in the Australian CD is that of the actress playing Liza. Stephanie Block is great and has an awesome voice, but on the Australian CD it sounds exactly like Liza did in her eearlier days. I don't know why the Broadway CD does not include "Sure Thing Baby", which is actually sung on the show. It would have been nice to have a COMPLETE recording of the show but, oh well, maybe it was added after they made the CD.

The meat is always leaner on somebody else's dinner plate!

CATSNYrevival
#24re: Does anyone have the original BOY FROM OZ CD???
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:29pm

No actually, they left it off purposly, just to agrivate us. And, it worked. "Sure Thing Baby" is on the Australian CD though, but Liza sings it. It's not the same as on Broadway. Updated On: 8/16/04 at 12:29 PM

Videos