Cast Recordings

timote316
#0Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:32pm

ok, I have a $100 gift card to Borders, and plan to use it to better my collection of cast recordings (lol, only don't tell my mother. textbooks? who needs em?). Any suggestions?

I like contemporary stuff. For example, my favs include Wicked, Copacabana, Urinetown, '03's LSOH and Rent. Anyone know of any others I would like?

EDIT: I realize Copa isn't exactly popular lol. Its the London cast recording, and it toured here in the the States, never made it to Broadway. A theater group I'm in performed this earlier in the summer. Updated On: 8/20/04 at 11:32 PM

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#1re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:34pm

nine (revival)
hairspray
chicago (revival)
avenue q
thoroughly modern millie

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 11:34 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#2re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:35pm

Well, start off by making a list of what you have.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#3re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:38pm

tick, tick... BOOM!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

timote316
#4re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:42pm

good point, millie lol. i thought of this only after i posted. it must be getting closer to my bedtime lol. ok...

Aida (OBC)
Avenue Q (OBC)
BARE (CD Sampler)
Beauty and the Beast (OBC)
Blue Man Group - Audio
Caroline, Or Change (OBC)
Chicago (OMPS)
Copacabana (Orig. London Cast)
Grease (OMPS)
Grease (1994 Bway Cast)
FOTR (Orig. London Cast)
FOTR (OBC)
FOTR (OMPS)
FOTR (2004 Bway Cast)
Footloose (OBC)
Guys and Dolls (1992 Bway Cast)
JCS (OBC)
Joseph... (1993 US Cast)
Little Shop... (Original Cast)
Little Shop... (OBC)
Moulin Rouge (OMPS)
The Producers (OBC)
Rent (OBC)
Scarlet Pimpernel (OBC)
Urinetown (OBC)
Wicked (OBC)

My abbreviations: OBC=Original Broadway Cast, OMPS=Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

I know there's more, but I can't think of any. EDIT: remembered a couple more lol
Updated On: 8/20/04 at 11:42 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#5re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:49pm

Caroline, or Change

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

timote316
#6re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:50pm

I knew there was more. That one (Caroline) is in my car. I've updated the list.

millie_dillmount
#7re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:53pm

Where's your "Thoroughly Modern Millie" CD, honey?

Hairspray
Chicago (revival) -- what's OMPS?
Cabaret (revival)
42nd Street (revival)
Oklahoma (1998 London Cast)
Gypsy (revival w/ Bernadette Peters)
Boy From Oz

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

timote316
#8re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:55pm

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

millie_dillmount
#9re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:55pm

Thanks.

timote316
#10re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/20/04 at 11:57pm

np, i abbreviate a lot of things that people don't understand. Sorry bout that lol

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#11re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 12:06am

Ragtime and Parade, definitely.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#12re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:34pm

Sunday in the Park with George, Sweeney Todd or Assassins (original is my favorite)

"Life is a lesson in humility"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#13re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:38pm

You need the Broadway Revival album/ Or the Original London Cast of Chicago! Either one will be great in your collection.

Also, check out "The Last 5 Years" and "The Wild Party" (Lippa Version, Idina and Taye star in it)

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#14re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:40pm

Buy some music you don't like at Borders than bring that stuff to Best Buy and get store credit for it. Best Buy charges a LOT less than Borders, so you'll be able to get more CD's by doing it that way.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Guido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
#15re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:30pm

Best Buy (at least here) is in a heap-a trouble, for exchanging used things and restocking them as brand new. Stupid stock boys! haha, anyway my list would go as follows:

The beautiful Game
Songs for a new world
the last 5 years
bounce (yeah, i liked it so sue me)
the boy from oz
ragtime
the civil war (complete work, not the nashville sessions)
wonderful town

"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#16re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:33pm

I never said anything about used things. Keep them shrinkwrapped and go exchange them out.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Guido Contini
#17re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:35pm

I know Matt...I just meant that I wouldn't trust to do any business with the Best Buys around here until they get their legal problems sorted out. The rest of the world can follow your exchange plan.

"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD

Prettylittlepicture Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture
#18re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:46pm

Oooh, definately buy The Lion King! ^__^ And, if you're the kind of person that likes squeaky-clean, peppy fun, buy the 1999 recording of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
Roger Bart is delightfull in that, as is the rest of the cast. Just a lot of fun.

I'll open a souvlaki stand! I don't even know what souvlaki is, but people seem to LOVE them!- Xanthias
You see this tree? It is a fir tree. It's called a fir tree because it gives us fur- for coats! It also gives us wool in the wintertime!- Lucy "Little Known Facts"

Guido Contini
#19re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:47pm

Roger Bart is delightful most of the time...=)

Mythus
#20re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:32pm

Roger Bart is delightful all the time!

But, I agree with Prettylittlepicture (hi, Ali). Get TLK and YAGMCB.

Guido Contini
#21re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:39pm

not to be argumentative...but I didn't really get into the musical version of TLK. I saw it, and I just kept thinking "the movie part was better than this..." *shrugs* might be just me.

Updated On: 8/21/04 at 06:39 PM

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#22re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:44pm

No, it's not just you. It's MANY people. The stage version is good for the first and last 10 minutes only.

Guido Contini
#23re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:45pm

good, glad i'm not alone on this then. *wipes sweat from brow*

musicaltheatreman
#24re: Cast Recordings
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:47pm

what does FOTR stand for??? thanks :)

Videos