Framing Playbills

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#0Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:08pm

I have a rather extensive collection of Playbills from the last 20 years or so that I would like to frame for my wall. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find decent looking black frames that will fit a standard size playbill (5 1/4 by 8 1/2 inches)? As I have over 200, I'd rather not spend $17.95 each at playbill.com...

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#1re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:12pm

A good art supply store would be a good start. Also Michale's does custome framing, but I'd wait until they are having a 50% off sale on the framing. (They do this about every 3 weeks)

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

DFYINGRVTY Profile Photo
DFYINGRVTY
#2re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:13pm

YES...go to AC Moore...they are on sale for 1.89 for a frame size that big...and they are VERY DECENT black frames...i just bought 5 for my play bills today....let me know if you got this!!! and i want to see how it looks when you frame them all!!!

Citizens of Oz, there is an enemy that must be found and captured! Believe nothing she says. She's evil. Responsible for the mutilation of these poor, innocent monkeys! Her green skin is but an outward manifestation of her twisted nature! This distortion, this repulsion, this - - Wicked Witch!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#3re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:15pm

Where is AC Moore?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#4re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:17pm

It's a craft store. Try going here to find one in your area:

http://acmoore.com/locator/default.asp

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#5re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:19pm

Thanks for the AC Moore idea, there aren't any in Manhattan and apparently you can't order stuff online. Any other suggestions?

cjoyce
#6re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:25pm

We have framed several of ours in groups, usually by year we saw the show and included the ticket stubs on the outside of the mat board. Sometimes, if we have photos of the cast members, we include them in the layout as well.

We have actually had some done at Michaels...wait for that 50% off your custom framing order coupon...try Ben Franklin...they do a good job too...we've even matted some of our own too. We have actually decorated our dining room in "broadway". It's pretty cool.

Hope this helps.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#7re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:28pm

Thank you! It sounds like a great suggestion, but for whatever reason, there are no Michael's or Ben Franklin stores in NYC. The only big art store is Pearl and they don't have anything suitable. I'm still looking though and appreciate the help!

elphie bowles Profile Photo
elphie bowles
#8re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:38pm

Is that Idina in your picture?

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#9re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:46pm

Oh, cjoyce, WHY did you give me the idea of framing the playbills by year with tickets? The folks at the frame store already did my posters. Well, off I go to spend more $$$.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#10re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:47pm

I misread the thread title and thought it said "Flaming Playbills,"

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#11re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:48pm

Yes, the picture is my little sister and Idina outside the stage door at Wicked. The original photo is now signed, along with one of my sister and Kristin, which were framed and hanging on the wall of a very happy 12 year old.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#12re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:50pm

Eponine, my flaming Playbills include Zanna, Dont!, The Rocky Horror Show, and Take Me Out.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 8/24/04 at 11:50 PM

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#13re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:51pm

I got mine at walmart I think...or one of those stores...target, kmart?

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#14re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:54pm

Oh yeah Chris! Well I have errrr a Flaming Playbill of CATS.....so there!

J-Pill Profile Photo
J-Pill
#15re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/24/04 at 11:59pm

Interesting, 2 weekends ago I put up my playbills on the walls of my bedroom. They're not framed, they border my door frames. I have 3 doors in here: to the room, closet, bathroom. It's looking really cool. Just a cheap suggestion. :p

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/25/04 at 12:01am

So, have you actually seen 200 shows, or did you get duplicates from shows or get them from other people?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#17re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/25/04 at 6:14am

I see all the musicals as they come out on Broadway, so I've lost count of how many I've seen. Many of the shows I have seen more than once, I'm only hanging up one playbill from each though.
Thank you to everyone for their help!

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#18re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/25/04 at 7:41pm

What size frame do you guys buy at AC Moore? Surely they do not make frames that are the exact size, right? At least not "off the shelf"?

I bought one frame at BroadwaynewYork. I thought it would be the same price as the website, minus shipping. It ended up being $29.99 instead of $17.99.

Any thoughts on how to frame the standard window card poster sizes using off the shelf "cheap" frames would also be appreciated.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#19re: Framing Playbills
Posted: 8/25/04 at 7:46pm

I just did this today! What I did was get a lot of frames and cut the matts so I have two or three in each frame. Just take a playbill to a crafts store and buy in bulk. They turn out really well!

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

Videos