pixeltracker

Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?- Page 2

Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#25re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/27/03 at 9:21pm

king: brian Stokes Mitchell
queen: bernadette peters or Andrea Mcardle
prince: Joe machota
princess: Tina maddigan or Tammy Blanchard or Sutton foster

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#26re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/27/03 at 9:32pm

Tammy Blanchard is amazing as well. She is such a fantastic actress. I hope she does a lot more on Broadway!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#27re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/28/03 at 9:22am

I'd like to think that the Kings and Queens of Broadway are performers who have been around for years and have continued to work on Broadway.In other words I'm looking at longevity. So with this in mind I nominate:

King: John Cullum from understudy in Camelot to Urinetown.
Queen: Chita Rivera from West Side Story to Nine.
Both these artists have been performing on Broadway for over 40 years. Grand Dame of the Broadway district Carol Channing.

Heir apparent to the King: Nathan Lane.
Heir apparent to the Queen: Leslie Uggams.

Prince:Mathew Broderick
Princess:Patti Lupone.

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#28re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/28/03 at 8:09pm

also maybe Loiuse pitre as princess, seeing that she is queen of all 3 north american versions of MAMMA MIA!

broadwayguy2
#29re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/28/03 at 8:10pm

iluvny, Louis is queen of 3 of the 5. She did it in Toronto, on the first national tour, as well as Broadway. She was never in the 2nd National tour or Las Vegas companies.

BillyLawlor
#30re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/28/03 at 8:37pm

Matthew Broderick is a Broadway prince. He may have talent, but there are some out there, that stand high above what he can do!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#31re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/29/03 at 2:40am

Mathew Broderick can light up a stage in both plays and musicals.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#32re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/29/03 at 2:42am

Mathew Broderick and Lesley Uggams can light up a stage in both plays and musicals. Most of these posts seem only to mention those that appear in musicals what about the non musical actors?

NativeNewYorker
#33re: Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?
Posted: 7/29/03 at 12:12pm

Queen: Bernadette

Princess: Sutton

King: Adam (I HAVE to say him...when I met him, I blurted out something along the lines, "I feel like I'm talking to Broadway royalty right now!!":))

Prince: Torn between Gavin Creel and Sebastian Arcelus (Sebastian just because I seriously love the guy and hope he really does go on to achieve Broadway royalty status)

Hello Gorgeous
#34re: re: Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?
Posted: 7/29/03 at 12:24pm

King:Brian Stokes Mitchell
Queen: Bernadette, hands down, she's my fave!
Princess: There's 2, Tammy Blanchard and Kerry Butler
Prince: Gavin Creel

~*Christa*~ "Don't ya wanna be the life of the party?" Idina Menzel, THE WILD PARTY

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#35re: re: Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?
Posted: 7/29/03 at 12:26pm

KING: BSM

QUEEN: Bernadette Peters (although here in America there is no royalty, so Regis Philbin has given her the title of "The First Leading Lady of Musical Theatre"). re: re: Who are your Kings and Queen of Broadway?

PRINCE: Hunter Foster

PRINCESS: Sutton Foster (though if Ruthie Henshall lived in the USA she would hold that title).

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#36re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/29/03 at 5:15pm

ok louise is queen of the 3 orginal north american versions, 2nd national tour and las vegas opened post broadway

#37re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/29/03 at 5:26pm

CHITA IS QUEEN she has been performing since 1957, beat that! lol

QUEEN - CHITA RIVERA, Patti LuPone
KING - Anthony Warlow, Philip Quast, Colm Wilkonson, Michael Ball
PRINCESS - Alice Ripley, Ruthie Henshall,
PRINCE - Brian D'Arcy James, John Barrowman

orchajaws Profile Photo
orchajaws
#38king and queen
Posted: 7/29/03 at 11:04pm

King: Mandy Patinkin
Queen: Bernadette Peters
Prince: Raul Esparza
Princess: Linda Eder
Court Jester: Nathan Lane

TheatreNut
#39re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 12:19am

King: Brian Stokes Mitchell. Hands down the best singer currently on Broadway. His deep rich baritone fills the theatre with incredible energy and emotion. Acting wise, I have seen him go from Ragtime, to Kiss Me Kate, to La Mancha (three totally different roles) and loved him every time. I look forward to whatever he does next and of course to solo albums of any kind.

Queen: Marin Mazzie. What a thrill to have my queen and king in three shows at the same time. It is such a pleasure to hear her sing. Vocally her range is quite large. Her change from soft, gentle singing to loud, harsh belting is amazing. If you go on vocal power, she has lots of it. And control as well.

Prince: Max von Essen. The surprise of my DOTV experience. I didn't know what to expect from him going into it. After one show I was really impressed. I look for him to do wonderous things in the future.

Princess: This is the category with many in it. For this I will have to go with Mandy Gonzalez. A true belter for the future. I really want to see her in Aida.

Court Jester: Having not seen Nathan Lane on Broadway, (poor soul I am) my court jester is the funny Ernie Sabella. I love this little guy. He is such a riot just to look at in the little costume he wears in La Mancha.

There are my picks and an explanation of my views!

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#40re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 12:41am

King: Brian Stokes Mitchell (Hands down)
Queen: Tie between Bernadette Peters and Angela Lansbury
Prince: Hunter Foster (a lot of potential, and he might be King one day)
Princess: Between Audra McDonald, Kerry Butler, Laura Benanti, Kerry O'Malley, and Marissa Jaret Winokur. So MANY good potential young ladies out there.

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

skingdom
#41re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 4:14am

King: Brent Carver and Len Cariou
Queen: Bernadette Peters, Donna Murphy, Christine Andreas, Judy Kuhn and Glenn Close.
Prince: Marc Kudisch, Patrick Wilson
Princess: Kerry O'Malley (love ya babe) Marla Schaffel and my three girls Sutton Foster, Laura Benanti and Sarah Uriarte Berry. Oh and

skingdom
#42re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 4:14am

King: Brent Carver and Len Cariou
Queen: Bernadette Peters, Donna Murphy, Christine Andreas, Judy Kuhn and Glenn Close.
Prince: Marc Kudisch, Patrick Wilson
Princess: Kerry O'Malley (love ya babe) Marla Schaffel and my three girls Sutton Foster, Laura Benanti and Sarah Uriarte Berry. Oh and Emily Skinner.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#43re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 9:28am

I don't think Anthony Warlow or Philip Quast have ever appeared on Broadway. You can't have a King called Mandy. King Mandy indeed!

BillyLawlor
#44re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 7/30/03 at 11:00pm

Okay- there's only supposed to be one. That's the challenge of this thread. I didn't think there should be a list of people, otherwise, it will turn into a favorite actor or actress thread. There can only be one of each! I know it's hard, but you must come up with one that beats all. Believe me, these are hard choices, and you can list your runner ups, but the point of the thread was one actor or actress each!

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#45re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 8/1/03 at 10:10am

I'm from a different era, but I would like to give my choices. I've broken them down into categories. I'm sure that if I saw some of these performers today I would find them old fashioned, but in my youth they were highly palpable stage presences.

Best Dranatic Actress: Katharine Cornell
Best Comic Actress (not slapstick or outrageous): Shirley Booth tied with Rurh Gordon
Best Musical Actress: Vivienne Segal
Best Dramatic Actor: Paul Muni
Best Comic Actor: Joseph Cotten
Best Musical Actor: William Gaxton
Best Broadway Dancer (Female): Libby Bennett
Best Broadway Dancer (Male): Duke McHale
Dancer with the loudest laugh: Me!!!!!!

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#46re: king and queen
Posted: 8/2/03 at 3:10pm

OH Miriam - Kit Cornell!!! What was she like? Were the performance more "mannered" in their style? & PLEASE who were Libby Bennett & Duke McHale?

TheatreNut
#47re: re: king and queen
Posted: 8/2/03 at 11:03pm

I agree with most of your choices onceadancer2, but I have outgrown them. My attitude always seems to be forward moving and most of the time I forget most of the people I grew up with. Broadway certainly has changed. It is really hard to compare the stars of today with the stars of yesterday. Two totally different attitudes. For me, I prefer today to yesterday.

PJ
#48re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 8/3/03 at 12:31am

Queen: Angela Lansbury or Bernadette Peters
I would have loved to see Angela in any show she has done over the years. Especially Gypsy or Mame.

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#49re: re: re: king and queen
Posted: 8/3/03 at 7:18am

I agree with you totally, Theatre Nut. I don't live in the past, and, of course, one can't compare the Broadway 0f 30s, 40s and 50s to the Broadway of the 21st century. If we were to look at Katharine Cornell today we would groan. However, if we saw Shirley Booth I am sure that we would still howl in the aisles! Still, as one gets older, and I'm over 80, one looks back and tries to find some joy in what has hapened and what has impacted us the most. So, for these thespians, I am grateful!

Sabre, Duke and Libby were two chorus dancers, but in my performing days they were the best. Versatile in ballet, tap and character, they always lit up whatever show they were dancing in. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to either one!

Love,
Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!
Updated On: 8/3/03 at 07:18 AM