Broadway Newbies

GretchaSketh
#0Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:58am

I was just wondering if there were any up and coming broadway actors that you guys think are going to be big someday. OR that you just think are amazing. For example, I think Heather Laws is awesome. I saw her in my first and only Broadway show (so far), Cabaret. I thought she was incredibly talented and was surprised to find out that she is now in the ensamble of BFO. I am hoping that gets bigger parts cause I think she has the talent!

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#1re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:01am

Barrett Foa. This man is so talented acting/singing wise, and is so charismatic on and offstage. He is one of those performers who, once he enters the stage, you cannot tear your eyes off of. Just pick up the Godspell 2000 CD, or check him out in AQ. I see him going very far. Updated On: 8/30/04 at 02:01 AM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#2re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:02am

<~~~~

GretchaSketh
#3re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:03am

What has he been in?? Is he in anything now? I'm going to NY in Nov. and then again in Jan and would love to see new talent:)

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#4re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:06am

Barrett is in Avenue Q understudying John Tartaglia and Rick Lyon. He is really a fabulous performer, but I would recommend seeing the show even if he weren't in it. Go for it!

As for what he's done in the past, he's been in Mamma Mia, Cupid and Psyche, Godspell, Camelot, Much Ado About Nothing, the list goes on and on... but he's still not a big name yet. re: Broadway Newbies Updated On: 8/30/04 at 02:06 AM

GretchaSketh
#5re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:08am

That is one show that I will hopefully get the chance to see while I am there:)

What is your dream role?

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#6re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:09am

Awesome! Do you have any others in mind?

GretchaSketh
#7re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:18am

Well, I've got tickets to wicked (I know many will moan over this), and would love to see Brooklyn. But really I can only go to one other show cause I'm only there for 4 days. When I'm there in Jan I'm going with 3 other friends. They would love to see Aida but since it's closing that's a no-go. I'm trying to get them hooked on Rent (since they do like Idina, I figure it wont be too hard), since that had always been one of my favorites but never seen it. Also, I believe that by Jan. Little Women will be out (correct me if I'm wrong) and I would love to see Sutton Foster since I've only heard good things about her and I think she has a great voice. Any other suggestions. I kinda have to make decisions. And if there is anything else I think would be good I have to try to get my 3 friends hooked on it so they will want to go see it:)

What is your dream role?

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#8re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:33am

I'm not sure if he's considered a "newbie" but definitely Michael Arden. He's an amazing singer, a wonderful actor and a gifted songwriter/lyricist in his own right. He's going to be huge!

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:53am

Julie Hanson re: Broadway Newbies

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#10re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:04am

I thought of another one!

Well, he's been on Broadway more than once, but nobody knows who he is, so I'll say Scott Hunt. Fabulous actor, haunting singing voice, sweet guy, and cute as a button. He's also a writer, and writes his own songs and music, among other things. He's SO AMAZINGLY TALENTED, but he gets no credit.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#11re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:39am

I saw Scott in the chrous for Les Miz, he was the Marius understudy. I wish I could have seen him play it.

Missy37
#12re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:46pm

Anika Noni Rose. She will most likely be on Broadway again soon

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#13re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:54pm

Shoshana Bean. One of my favorites. She's currently in Hairspray, finishing her CD and joining Wicked as Idina's standby.

Also very talented is Michael Longoria, also from Hairspray...watch for him as a singer-songwriter. The boy has some serious talent in that arena.

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#14re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:12pm

Darren Ritchie from Dracula & recently LSOH -- very talented, very personable, a real cutie. With several Bway credits, though, does he still count as "up and coming"?

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#15re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:14pm

Michael Arden for sure.
Jessica Grove and Barett Foa.

#16re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:33pm

i would say megan campbell, the understudy for millie we saw, but i haven't seen her in anything lately! she was AMAZING though!

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#17re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:35pm

Well now that I changed my icon, and that arrow I posted is pointing to Idina Menzel now rather than Julia Murney...let me just plug Julia Murney here...may she make her Broadway debut soon.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#18re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:39pm

I thought that was Tom Hewitt.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#19re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 8/31/04 at 4:13pm

Yes have to agree, Darren Richie... good newbie and cute.

Isabel Keating: even though she made her debut in Enchanted April, she was just amazing in BFO. She will go far.

Stephanie J. Block: Another good newbie.

"You can't stop someone who wants to be an artist. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it... Work as hard as you can on the things you can work on. Until it seems like there is no possible chance you're going to succeed, don't give up." ~ANDREW ASNES avatar: me and jason gillman... in the pouring rain.

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#20re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:37pm

"I saw Scott in the chrous for Les Miz, he was the Marius understudy. I wish I could have seen him play it."

I saw Scott several times as Marius last year. He's one of my favorites. Sure, he's kind of stumpy and has a funny vibrato, but he's very endearing and a wonderful actor. :)

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#21re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:40pm

Oh, I love his vibrato, Musetta! And his height is just perfect (we're the same height- totally awesome)!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#22re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:42pm

Cheyenne Jackson.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#23re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:42pm

Michael Arden
Stephanie J. Block
Michelle Federer
I don't know if she's necessarily "new" but Sarah Uriarte(sp?) Berry

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

#24re: Broadway Newbies
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:45pm

Darren Ritchie is a great performer! I also think from what I am reading on the boards and because I saw her in Wicked, I think Eden Espinosa is going to be huge!

Videos