rudest people at stage door

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#0rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:26am

I'd have to say that when we met Jeff McCarthy, he was very condescending to us when we asked him what his advice was for aspiring Broadway people. He wasn't horrible, but he surely didn't go out of his way to help us...the experience was kind of demeaning, really. Anyone have bad experiences they wanna get off their chest?

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:28am

When my sister and I met Hunter Foster, he wouldn't talk to us. He just gave us a dirty look. My sister had to chase after him to get an autograph. She told him she was a really big fan and he said Sorry, I have to go.

JC14
#2re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:30am

God there was that one time that I met Edna Mental and she totally smacked me in the head with her giant bag and told me I was a waste of space.

In all seriousness, the rudest person I probably met was Loraine Velez or Andy Senor. Both were just short and didn't make eye contact. Not like I really care...Loraine's performance as Mimi was nothing short of amazing. Andy was okay as Angel.

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#3re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:34am

Hands down... Patti Lupone. Waited for over an hour just to see her and tell her "great show!" Didn't even ask for an autograph. She just swept past all of her fans into a waiting limo without so much as a smile. What a Diva! At least she thinks she is.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela

Yankeefan007
#4re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:35am

hunters sort of a "dead fish"....melanie griffith was pretty rude, walking away from everyone

CJR
#5re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:49am

Melanie walked away from everyone? I know I'm one to sit here and bash her performance in Chicago, but that actually surprises me. In person, she's an absolute sweetheart and everytime I saw her interacting with fans, she was always gracious enough to stay until everyone had everything signed and whatnot. Of course, as she signed, the crowd wouldn't disperse, they'd all just stay and watch her -- that of course, made it impossible for EVERYONE to have something signed.. but she definitely tried.

Ah well.

As for mine.... Robert Urich (god rest his soul). He was pretty dismissive and condescending.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Updated On: 8/31/04 at 11:49 AM

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#6re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:01pm

Mel B was pretty rude. My friend and I weren't waiting for her though we were talking to Matt and Jeremy and there was a baracade set up for Mel to come out. She ran out the front door and down the street completely ignoring her fans that night. Eh no big deal for us, but i feel bad for the people that were actually there for her

Rick Lyon also kinda left us high and dry when we were getting autographs...but he could've had an off night.

Also Joey Mac was kinda standoffish and arrogant when we met him. Here is like my idol from childhood and he barely smiled and just signed our playbills and walked off. Eh, oh well...

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:02pm

How come Rick Lyon gets let off with "could've had a bad night" and the other two don't?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#8re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:05pm

Who can say?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

staticradar
#9re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:07pm

oh well i meant to say they all could've had an off night...ooops...heehee...and i don't hold it against any of them, they don't HAVE to do stage door at all...

and like I said the Mel B thing didn't bother us at all as we weren't even there to see her or anything...but she ran right by us which was kinda funny...

Joey was just a little standoffish, but at least he signed our stuff...

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.

LadyGuenevere
#10re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:07pm

I've heard a lot of Rick Lyon stories, and have had a bad situation myself...but I'll excuse all of that. Bad days, you know.

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#11re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:12pm

Staticradar, I'm so surprised about the Joey Mcintyre thing. Every time I've seen him he's been so friendly; both during Wicked at at Tick, Tick...boom.

I wasn't waiting for Mel B. either but she did the sing and dash thing the night I went also. Ran into the adjacent bar like she was competing for a gold medal. Ironically, no one was waiting for her. We were all with Matt and Jeremy.

The only truly bad stage door experience I had was with Mandy Patinkin while he was in Secret Garden.

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice

staticradar
#12re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:22pm

yeah she ran into Bar 41 the night we went too...it was the cast's Bowling Night, (thursday) so i guess that's why she was in such a rush? *shrugs* eh oh well...

Joey just didn't smile or anything just kinda signed our playbills and walked to the next people...

Rick Lyon ignored us completely...haha

#13re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:27pm

joey was so nice!!!! he smiled and laughed and took pictures with everyone!

NativeNewYorker
#14re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:29pm

"The only truly bad stage door experience I had was with Mandy Patinkin while he was in Secret Garden."

Really?

That disappoints me, I like him...what was so bad about it?

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#15re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:29pm

It wasn't at a stage door and she's not even a bway actress but by far the rudest person I have ever met has to be Jamie Lee Curtis. I was at a Hollywood event that I was invited to as a guest and she was there, standing around, not speaking to anyone at the time, so I wasn't interupting or anything. I told her that A Fish Called Wanda was one of my favorite movies. And I loved the show "Anything but Love" She looked me up and down and said "Well isn't that nice." Turned around and walked away.
Brrrrr!

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)
Updated On: 8/31/04 at 12:29 PM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#16re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:31pm

I'm surprised by the Hunter Foster experiances. When I met him after Urinetown he was all over the place taking pictures and signing stuff. He even took a good 5 minutes to talk to me about how I liked the show. I also seem to be the only person with a good Nathan Lane experiance, that I've talked to at least.

As far as rude goes Robert Lupone was a diva after True West and spoke to me in a very condescending tone, it must run in the family. I would call it an off night for him but my mother had the same general story about his manor when she met him after Chorus Line backstage.
Also Matthew Broderick was kinda cold after H2$, but it was a double show day and Sara Jessica was there, I'm sure he just wanted to get home.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

popcultureboy
#17re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:32pm

I'm sorry, F2M, but that really made me laugh. Just as the story of Liz Hurley doing something similar made me guffaw too:

She was on a flight from Heathrow and had on sunglasses. An overzealous air hostess was being all "I am such a fan of yours, oh my GOD" to her, and she peered over the top of her glasses and said "why don't you just f*ck off?" The air hostess promptly did, bursting into tears as she went.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

NativeNewYorker
#18re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:35pm

Are you SERIOUS? Like Liz Hurley has ever even done anything worthy of being a fan of besides looking good? You'd think she'd be glad that people appreciated her for more than dating Hugh Grant...Wow...what gets into people?

popcultureboy
#19re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:38pm

I am deadly serious. I used to know one of the other flight attendants who was on that flight and witnessed the incident.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#20re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:41pm

You know what? No one here has any idea of the types of experiences both Jamie Lee Curtis and Liz Hurley have had with fans. I mean...they're actually famous. Not like the tireless, hardworking Broadway regulars we all love and wish were famous but actually aren't. No...they are known throughout the world. And people of that level of stardom have to be very careful about who they let into their lives. So maybe they'd rather have people think they're rude than have a 'fan' try to open the door to their lives and have it become a problem.

And quite frankly, the level of fan worship on this site can come across as a little scary. I know most people have good intentions, but still...it can give a person pause.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

NativeNewYorker
#21re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:45pm

Fair 2 Middlin, how cute is your dog...what kind is that?

Robbie, true, but I don't see how telling someone to "f-off" when they are just paying you a compliment is ever okay.

As for Jamie Lee...this is going to sound really stupid, but are you sure it was definitely HER? Maybe it wasn't her and she was confused that you were talking about those shows?

popcultureboy
#22re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:46pm

I think the air hostess had overstepped the compliment mark and had tipped over into hideous fawning, which prompted Liz's response. Would you really want someone acting like that to you for an 8 hour flight?

NativeNewYorker
#23re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:52pm

True...I guess I just can't imagine getting that excited over a model...

Just as I'm sure that stewardess would not care who Sutton Foster/Adam Pascal/Gavin Creel was :)

It all evens out...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#24re: rudest people at stage door
Posted: 8/31/04 at 12:53pm

Wouldn't care? Wouldn't KNOW.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Videos