pixeltracker

Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II

Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#0Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 5:06pm

If you hadn't seen The Frogs before you wouldn't have noticed anything wrong with the last song and dance in Act I. The chorus performed the tit;e number as if nothing unusual was going on. But I noticed that the Nathan Lane on bungee chords routine was gone, as was his bit of business to close the act.

Sure enough, after a long intermission it was announced that due to an injury Timothy Gulan would go on for him in Act II.

With a half-empty and quiet matinee crowd to begin with, it was not the best of circumstances for an understudy to go on, but Gulan did a fine job with a strong singing voice and a solid comic delivery, though more of a "little tough guy" type than Lane.

A toast to Timothy Gulan and a speedy recovery to Nathan Lane

NBC
#1re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 5:16pm

Clearly this happened because I have tickets for tonight.

Ah well...

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#2re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 5:17pm

Hear, HEAR!
or is it Here, HERE!
....ponderponder.
so what happened?
or was/is the info not released?
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Mythus
#3re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 5:30pm

Oh no! I hope he's okay...especially since I want to go see the show, and it won't be the same without Nathan.

Prettylittlepicture Profile Photo
Prettylittlepicture
#4re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:13pm

My poor, poor baby! *snuggles Nathan* I really hope he feels better and recovers quickly. I'll have to bake him a cake. ;__;

I'll open a souvlaki stand! I don't even know what souvlaki is, but people seem to LOVE them!- Xanthias
You see this tree? It is a fir tree. It's called a fir tree because it gives us fur- for coats! It also gives us wool in the wintertime!- Lucy "Little Known Facts"

Yankeefan007
#5re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:15pm

anyone kno wat the injury is? im planning to get TKTS tickets for it on friday...i just wanna know if i should plan on something else.

nystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
#6re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:25pm

"With a half-empty and quiet matinee crowd..."

So is the show not doing well? I mean obviously not that day, but is it struggling on a regular basis?

Mythus
#7re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:28pm

I think the show is doing pretty well, but the RNC is probably the reason why the theatre was half-full (or, for you pessimists, half-empty).

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:28pm

I have a feeling most shows did not do well this week. Case in point, I just used a discount code for Hairspray, Friday night and got 1st row center front mezzanine.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#9re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 7:52pm

When I saw it last night, the upper tier was only spottily filled.

The RNC has really hurt all theater this week. And all my editors have taken the week off.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

QuiteSo Profile Photo
QuiteSo
#10re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 8:52pm

When did this happen???????

*going to cry* I hope he's better by Saturday night.

Merrily we roll along, roll along...

The Goat
#11re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 10:29pm

Well, NBC, move over, because I think Nathan Lane got injured because I bought a ticket for Thursday (tomorrow) night! I guess I'm going to have to fork out again to see Lane! Anyone know of any discount codes or other cheaper ways to go than spending another $95? Oh, and I'm not a student, so I don't have access to these kinds of discounts. But I'm going to be optimistic and assume I will see a "star being born" when Gulan goes on Thursday night!

Roscoe
#12re: Timothy Gulan goes on for Nathan in Act II
Posted: 9/1/04 at 11:00pm

I had the bad luck to be attending today's performance of THE FROGS, and am relieved to hear that Mr. Lane is not seriously injured. Maybe he can get some rest. Mr. Lane's performance was, to put it gently, tired. I've never seen any star performer give a more, to put it gently, tired performance than Lane gave in the first act of THE FROGS today. He seemed more interested in scanning the house to count empty seats than in anything that was happening onstage. Mr. Gulan did his best under what must have been less than ideal circumstances.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Videos