spiderdj82
#0Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:14pm

Which is better?

ANNIE (original cast recording)
ANNIE (film soundtrack)
ANNIE (Disney tv soundtrack)

And.............GO!!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

broadwayguy2
#1re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:16pm

HATE the film soundtrack.. own the Disney soundtrack and the original cast.. I LOVE the Disney one the most, but I also adore teh OBC

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:17pm

Disney has an incredible "Easy Street".

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#3re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:18pm

OBC!!!! McArdle kicked ass all over town with her performance.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#4re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:18pm

I agree. The Disney version is my favorite. While Andrea McArdle sounds awesome, Alicia Morton sounds more innocent and young. Also, Alan Cumming, Victor Garber, Audra McDonald, and Kristin Chenowith is in it. Also, Andrea McArdle makes a guest appearance. The movie soundtrack blows, but Carol is awesome as Ms. Hannigan.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 06:18 PM

broadwayguy2
#5re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:20pm

Alicia Morton manages to belt the sougs and still sound like she is singing, young Andrea sounds more like she is yelling and is a tad bit grating... though Adult Andrea's Dinsey cameo was delightful!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#6re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:23pm

Yeah, Andrea just sounded like she was trying just a wee bit too hard, but she still sings better than a lot of adults.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#7re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:24pm

And like I said, Carol was the BEST Ms. Hannigan. Great! Great! Great! Besides that the movie can rot forever

Broadway Matt
#8re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:26pm

I'm just a McArdle fan. She's a Philly girl! Her Annie is a bit grating but I like grating in that role. I don't enjoy Annies and Artful Dodgers who sing the roles too prettily.

Y'know who I thought was amazing as Miss Hannigan- Sally Struthers! She did it at AMT San Jose maybe 5 years back and was absolutely hilarious!

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

#9re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:32pm

I heard great things about Struthers' Hannigan. Even though the movie didn't work for me (truth be told, the show itself doesn't hold much allure) Easy Street with Carol, Tim and Bernadette is pretty entertaining. I saw McArdle and Louden, and it was pretty impressive.

broadwayguy2
#10re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:34pm

we have this new mini tour coming up this season..... pray to GOD that the sets and costumes aren't like the ones from the last broadway revival --rehashed crap based on the original production.

Alicia Morton's 'red dress' costume was MILES above the original whiel still staying true to the concept.

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#11re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:40pm

ANNIE (Disney tv soundtrack

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Broadway Matt
#12re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:46pm

I think the recent Broadway ANNIE was an excellent lesson in how NOT to revive a beloved musical. That casting debacle was awful.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#13re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:48pm

I vote for anything with Audra McDOnald.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#14re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:49pm

Remember, folks, Andrea sang Annie without a microphone! The size of her natural voice in the theater was staggering. A phenomenon.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#15re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:49pm

Remember, folks, Andrea sang Annie without a microphone! The size of her natural voice in the theater was staggering. A phenomenon.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

#16re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:09pm

Am I the only person who thoroughly enjoyed the film soundtrack? Then again, that's all I know. I'll have to listen to the other two before I can debate this further. However, Annie (the film) came out when I was about 7 years old and was my favorite movie for years- I'll always have a special place in my heart for that movie re: Annie Debate.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#17re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:13pm

disney- tho i'm partial to anything victor garber sings in (in addition loving ot hear it, i have the same range so i can sing along)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

GretchaSketh
#18re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:15pm

yea, the whole casting deal was horrible. I wish they had kept Joanna Pacitti (sp?) instead of firing hear and getting Brittny Kissinger. Did anyone see the production?

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

TheaterGeek91
#19re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:19pm

Alicia is great and makes it sound easy, Andrea is good but makes it sound like it is... not that easy. I think that I hate the movie soundtrack. It's missing lots of my favorite songs and has others that I don't like as much.

MeliMel
#20re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 9:50pm

As much as I love the OBC I really have to go with the Disney Annie. Alicia Morton was great! and besides it's Kristen, Alan, Victor, Andrea, and Audra all on one c.d.! I also loved the orphans marissa rago and lalaine were my fav's.

The theatre is one of the most expressive and useful instruments for the edification of a country; it is also the barometer which makes its greatness or its descent. A theatre which is sensitive and well oriented in all its branches from tragedy to vaudeville can in a few years change the sensibilty of the people; theatre which has been destroyed, in which cloven hooves take the place of wings, can put to sleep an entire nation. A people that does not aid and encourage its theatre is moribund if not dead; the theatre which does not gather to itself the best of society, of history, the drama of its people and the genuine color of its landscape and its spirit, with laughter or tears, does not deserve to call itself theatre, but rather a place for that horrible thing which is called killing time.- Federico Garcia Lorca

shesings
#21re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:41pm

The Disney version is a disgrace to true Annie fans! As a little girl who used to tell people she was Annie, I was terribly dissapointed by that movie.

I do love the original movie and the OBC. I like to vary which one I listen to.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#22re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 10:47pm

i've yet to actually see it but was originally put off by the 'fro-less annie

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Yankeefan007
#23re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:09pm

i saw the most recent revival but cant remember who was in it. i do remember something about a lawsuit involving the girl who played annie. can someone clear this up?

shesings
#24re: Annie Debate
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:10pm

as a curly red-haired girl there is something insulting about a striaght brown haired Annie!

Videos