Pet Peeves

#0Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/8/03 at 9:26pm

What irks you the most about the messages posted on this board? (Rob, I hope this is a fair question.)

Mine are the posts which are made only to add a link to a news item which is already on the main page and which usually one has already read on numerous other sites!

Yes, I have other pet peeves too, but I'll save them. LOL

Yours for a better BroadwayWorld!

broadwayguy2
#1re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/8/03 at 9:30pm

oh Lord. Now here come the comments from the usual suspects.....

PJ
#2re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/8/03 at 9:31pm

I don't like the fact there are posters on this board who are just plain rude. I won't mention names, but they know I'm talking about them...and I can't wait to see what that poster has to say about this particular post.
-"Pajama"

luluhed Profile Photo
luluhed
#3re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/8/03 at 9:47pm

PJ, I agree, but sadly, message boards all seem to have in common their shares of toddlers, angry and rude people. Being anonymous at their keyboards makes it easy to vent whatever is troubling them.

Best thing is to ignore them because they hardly ever go away.

PJ
#4re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/8/03 at 9:51pm

I totally agree luluhed.

etoile
#5Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 12:58am

Oh, Please mention names PJ. Because if your remark was meant for me then I will glading tell you outright what peeves me is someone like you calling another member a "smartass" as your sole response to his thread and then later editing it. "Likes/Dislikes"

That peeves me. At least have the conviction to stand behind what you write.

You pick on my Dollypop and you take on me also.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

PJ
#6re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 1:01am

I never even saw you on this board before now...so calm yourself. And the problem between Dollypop and I has not a single thing to do w/ you...get your own problem.

PJ
#7re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 1:12am

That's funny...I did a search on your username..and briefly skimmed over some posts of yours. And the funny thing is that a lot of the posts were just like your last one. Snippy. :)

CJR
#8re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 1:49am

When people call a Cast Recording a Soundtrack. I dunno WHY that bothers me, but it does.

I also hate that people who saw the Chicago movie think they know everything there is to know about Chicago, and then go see the stage show and bitch and moan about how much better the movie was. *sigh*

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

etoile
#9 Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:00am

But don't you think the past few weeks have proved them correct?

CJR
#10re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:03am

Melanie Griffith does not exist to me, thank you very much. I'm talking about people who were sitting there seeing Tracy Shayne and Roxane Carrasco and thought the movie was better. Or when the show FIRST opened at the Ambassador and there was a woman behind me complaining how much more she liked the movie.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:28am

" could someone tell me what new xast recordings have ben released? i plan o buying some new cds this weekend! thanks :)"

Nuff said.

See picture at left.

PEACE.
Updated On: 8/9/03 at 02:28 AM

etoile
#12 Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:41am

Plus - LOL and j/k.

See photo above.

Kudos, SueleenGay.

sharon1
#13re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 6:03am

I think my Pet Peeve is really directed at the anonymity of message boards. I join in to view what people have to say about a subject I love. Musical Theatre. Thoughtful insights, i.e. VC on another thread. Some people say such vile things about performers and such the boards lose their fun. I love the humor of the interaction of some of the writers but I have found that certain American based boards are used to bash certain American artists. The same can be said of the UK based boards. I am not naive but I really don't think it is necessary. Certain posters on various boards use the boards to spout such venom, I often wonder where such hatred comes from. Enough from me. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#14re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 9:03am

Although...

People who have seen the revival of Chicago think they know everything about the show, and the revival excises Fosse's concept from the original production.

Each of the numbers had a vaudeville conceit in Fosse's original. The style was deliberately ironic. "Funny Honey" was performed atop a piano, a la Helen Morgan. "All I Need Is Love" was performed with the fans, with Billy stripping down to his shorts (for the tailor scene which followed the number and has been cut in the revival - losing the immortal line, "Ouch! Watch what you're doing, ya dumb fruit!") in a parody of a Sally Rand "fan" number. Amos performed "Cellophane" with a celluloid collar, to evoke Bert Williams and his Ziegfeld Follies classic, "Nobody", etc.

Given that people are no longer familiar with vaudeville performing styles, it isn't fatal that these concepts were cut, and the book trims make the show leaner and meaner. However, I do miss them, and have felt that a sameness sets in at the revival with the concepts for the numbers no longer in place.
It becomes people in black concert dress performing a bunch of numbers from Chicago. But certainly, people seem to respond to the immediacy of this Chicago in ways they didn't to Fosse's original.

So, my point, and I do have one...I was happy when I saw the movie to see some of Fosse's concepts for the numbers back in place. It gave them back some of their character and individuality, even though the work is Marshall's.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 8/9/03 at 09:03 AM

Dollypop
#15re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 9:43am

Theater people tend to be very opinionated and easily lash out at other performers--particularly ones that don't measure up to certain standards. We're a bitchy lot. It's the nature of the beast.

If you're going to be in a group of people who have insight into theater, you are going to have to deal with vivid analogies and torrid metaphors (what some people might refer to as name-calling).

If you're looking for an Ice Cream Social, then perhaps you'd better find a group of Mormons to chat with. Maybe they will relish numerous posts about whether or not a certain person should order a ticket to GYPSY through TicketMaster.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 8/9/03 at 09:43 AM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#16re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 10:02am

So, Magruder, when do you get to your point?
(just joshing)

(sort of)

PEACE.

BwayTheatre11
#17re: re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 11:03am

Mine is also people who are out to be rude when someone is just trying to state their opinion and every post that they have is just causing problems.

CCM '10!

theatrediva10086
#18re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 11:06am

I dont like when people are trying to respond to a post and a whole new conversation gets started within the post and the original comment or question never gets answered...

I had a dream... I dreamed it for you June... It wasn't for me Herbie... And if it wasn't for me, then where would you be, Miss. Gypsy Rose Lee?

Dollypop
#19re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:35pm

Ah yes, there are some of us who awaken every morning with a glint in our eyes and a malicious thought in our hearts: how can we be rude to BwayTheatre11? It consumes our entire day. Some of us cannot even have our first cup of coffee until we've decided upon a terrific bon mot that will absolutely devastate the little wretch!

Get real, kiddo! No one is "rude" to anyone here. If you would learn to express yourselves clearly and not state your phrases in an infantile manner you would earn the respect of eveyone who posts here. If your postings sound like the inane prattle of an 11 year old, you are going to be pummeled. Earlier this week there was a whole slew of polls posted with idiotic titles. These were a response to the plethora of polls that were completely insane ("Who's The Best Mama Rose?"--assuming that we were all fortunate to see every woman who ever played the role! Only Albin is old enough to have seen them all!). The strange thing is, people RESPONDED to those jerky polls--and TOOK THEM SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

Wake up folks! If you pose intelligent questions you'll get intelligent answers! If you had paid more attention to your English teachers you'd be expressing yourselves in a mature and concise manner. Wouldn't that be AMAZING???????

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#20re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:44pm

What about the people who signed up for this forum, but only post about the one or two things they like.
For example: There is one person who comes here who only posts about Bernadette and/or Gypsy.
There's nothing wrong with that, but why not join other topic conversations as well?

If you claim to love Broadway and theatre, then you should be able to join in on random topics, and not just the ones that you specialize in.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Dollypop
#21re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:47pm

Very good point, Babe!

Dollypop
#22re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:47pm

Very good point, Babe!

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#23re: re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 2:57pm

You know what I mean right Dollypop? I mean, you specialize in posting about Carol Channing (and nobody knows more about her than you); but you also post about other things as well. re: re: re: re: re: Pet Peeves

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

#24 Pet Peeves
Posted: 8/9/03 at 3:04pm

My biggest pet peeve is that Broadway is so expensive. (Or Maybe it is just cause I cannot afford it)

Also-- A pet peeve is that there are not copies of shows on video