STARLIGHT EXPRESS

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:27am

I saw this show awhile back and it was in 3D and It was pretty cool to me.
Did anyone else see this show and enjoy it?

Facebook...ME !!!

Chrysanthemum62001
#1re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:51am

I love it. I know it gets a lot of flack for being ALW, but it's a fun show-nothing gripping, but definately lots of fun. I was so amazed with the roller skating, man I wish I was that coordinated.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

#2re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:20am

I agree it's a very fun show! Good for the family and for kids to start out on musical theatre. However, I don't think it's ALW's best work. And besides, I tend to prefer heavier themed and dark shows. But you sometimes need that care-free musical at times!

~Rosalynn

Twilight Profile Photo
Twilight
#3re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:35am

I saw the tour when it came around a couple months ago. I liked it, but it was very wierd. What was up with that rap? "What time is it? It's race time!"

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul my only goal is just to be

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#4re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 9:44am

THIS SHOW IS AWSOME!!!! Just not the 3d version.

PleaseChangeMe
#5re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 10:32am

This show, when compared to other shows, stinks. But this is the only time where I like a show because of the set and not the substance.

#6re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:02pm

It used to be my favorite show when I was living in England... (oy, I know! I know!). I saw the tour when it came around, not as good as the original production but it was pretty schnazzy! I think that show is really just a happy, fun, stupid show that anyone with an open mind can enjoy. It should be required for anyone who is depressed.

#7re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:09pm

I always have loved this show.
It is totally fun.

Waylon
#8re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:30pm

Memories...I remember seeing this show in Las Vegas when I was in High School..or was it middle school. I found it to be fun! I think it was at the Hilton or something like that.

touchmeinthemorning
#9re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 12:33pm

more injuries in the vegas cast of this show than any other show in equity history.

that ends my trivia knowledge of this show.

"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 1:12pm

I loved the first national tour back in 1989, but the Vegas mini-Express was a letdown. Then I finally go the chance to see the London production in 1999 and while the sets and lighting were jaw-dropping, the performance was just awful. The entire cast phoned it in and the audience gave up and just socialized amongst themselves until an exciting scene occurred. It was a mess.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Stexer1974
#11re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:15pm

I love the show (couldnt ya tell). Its not very strong on plot but its entertaining in a extreme skating way and the boy next door gets the girl after all is said and done. People should go in not expecting POTO but just sit back and enjoy it and not try to look to in depth at it because if you do that then you pick the show apart. I saw the recent U.S. Tour three times and became good friends with a few of the cast. They really worked hard but basically the critics were not kind to them and ALW treated the new tour like a red headed step child. They could only do so much though within the limits of the script. I am anxious to hear how well the U.K. Tour goes. It is scheduled to start in six weeks time and is suppose to be the same as the 2nd U.S. Tour with a few changes. Oh and the 3d scenes in the touring version make up for the lack of a track even though I would have liked to have seen live racing. Updated On: 9/17/04 at 04:15 PM

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#12re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 7:44pm

I saw this show in NYC with John Schiappa and Jane Krakowski when she played Dinah. Gosh...that seems like 100 years ago! I remember the theatre being pretty empty and I felt so bad for the cast, but the show was cute. Fluffy and non-sensical but cute. :)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#13re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 8:16pm

I saw the show before it was 3D. I LOVE IT! I love a lot of the songs, and even though some are weak, it's still a great show in my opinion.

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."
Updated On: 9/19/04 at 08:16 PM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#14re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 8:26pm

On a whole I'm not a ALW fan, save Evita and Superstar. But this show is one of my first Broadway memories so it will always be kinda gilded in my memories. I remember that as an 8 year old (or however young i was) it was stunning.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

johny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
#15re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/17/04 at 11:36pm

i saw the show in las veagas and loved it. i tried to see it in london but they were sold out. i wish they would revive this show very soon.

rockfenris2005
#16re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/18/04 at 7:09am

When I heard the album, I cried. It was so bloody awful!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#17re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/18/04 at 9:57am

I bought the album right after I show and I like the album
My favorite song on there is AC/DC and Starlight Express.

Facebook...ME !!!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/18/04 at 10:28am

When I first heard the London double-CD, I listened to it nonstop for months. I was in high school and memorized every song. I still like it.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

bronxboundexpress
#19re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/18/04 at 10:58am

El DeBarge's single of the title song is so awsome. Could have been a huge hit.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#20re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/18/04 at 11:59am

I never quite understood how the ramps went into the audience (as I've heard they do) at the Gershwin and the Apollo Victoria. Did they go all the way into the rear of the orch? Did they get into the mezz? How was seating rearranged? I know it was a big hit in London, where it ran for almost two decades, but was it successful during its 2-3 years here?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

bronxboundexpress
#21re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/19/04 at 12:18pm

In Londond which was the biggest version of the show the skaters went COMPLETELY around the entire theatre AND across the front of the dress circle(balcony) elevated. In NY it was not as successful but supposedly the set was even better in NY even though the skaters only went a few rows into the audience. The theatre was much bigger the set was wider and taller I believe.

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#22re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/19/04 at 1:19pm

has anyone here seen the show in germany?

need to defrag my brain.

JJsugar
#23re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/19/04 at 1:26pm

well...i hate to be the downer on this one, but i had to chime in! lol

I did see it in London a few years ago as well as River dance too when i was there on work related trip for a few weeks!

the only thing i remember from the show is them rollar skating around!

it had no lasting impression and i don't remember much about it except it was a bit boring to sit there thru it! i also don't remember the music or i may have fell asleep cause i hardly remember it!

I did go to some show in London i loved! it was an ELVIS show that had his life story and they used Singers live on stage to sing and impersonate Elvis at all the ages so they i think had 3 elvises! It was the Best show and these Impersonators were soo good it really gave you chills i can see why Elvis had such an affect of women, TV does not do him Justice, but in person even the Impersonators really get you going the Old ladies were fanning themselves!

there were tons of fake elvis in the audience and i got my picture taken with like 3 elvises after the show! now that would be a great show to bring to Broadway the life story of elvis and impersonators! The best part is they also showed great Pictures on this Large TV screen about his real life and the whole show was this well done story with live entertainment on stage!

sorry to go off topic! I also did not like River dance it was Ok for a few dances then it got very annoying and my Boss walked out of the show after a few scenes! we stayed, but the whole tapping got very irritating after an hour and more!

sorry to be a Party poooper! lol

JJsugar
#24re: STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Posted: 9/19/04 at 1:32pm

oh i saw all these shows in London, starlight express, river dance and the Elvis show!

for me the Elvis show left the best impression and was memorable and a really great show! they never did bring that to the U.S i don't think but it was a Packed show and a really great show!

Videos