Zombie Prom: The Musical

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/27/04 at 11:16pm

Haven't heard of this, anyone see it? I'm told the music is addictive.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

rockfenris2005
#1re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 5:36am

The people who wrote it are behind Witches of Eastwick the Musical

I've never been able to find the CD!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

#2re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:34am

BLEH!! It's terrible... or maybe I just saw a terrible production... but I hated it...

Aaron27 Profile Photo
Aaron27
#3re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:38am

You can find the CD on Amazon.com. I just bought it from there about a month or two ago. I like it. It's fun. Similar style to Hairspray, but not as bouncy or fun. It's cheesy, fun, "grease-type" stuff. It also reminds me of Leader of the Pack. If you like a fushion of Grease, Hairspray, and Oldies music, then you'd probably like this

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#4re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:48am

It's cute. I wouldn't call the score addictive but it's charming enough. If 50's pop sci-fi spoofs are your thing then you'll probably like it.

Fair 2 Middlin Profile Photo
Fair 2 Middlin
#5re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:50am

Saw it with Jessica Snow-Wilson when it opened. She was good, the plot was lame. I hadn't heard anything from it since then, until now and I actually recall the music.

Does that make sense?

Thank you so much Fair. You are such a "Bewitching" HUSSY! -(DAME 12/2)

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#6re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 5:48pm

supposedly there is a "student film" version of it coming out, with RuPaul, strangely enough. Some film-school person is doing it in LA.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Twilight Profile Photo
Twilight
#7re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 5:59pm

yeah, I've heard a bunch of the songs... I love it, it's fun! The plot and dialog are very cheesy, but the music pretty cute! I got most of the songs from Kazaa....

I can't control my destiny. I trust my soul my only goal is just to be

dry2olives Profile Photo
dry2olives
#8re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:01pm

I really enjoyed the off-Broadway production and I play the CD a lot.

It's about a high school next to a nuclear power plant. When a bad boy is told by his good girl girlfriend that her parents won't let them date anymore, he rides his bike into the plant and kills himself, but soon comes back as a zombie. But as a zombie he decides to make good and graduate from high school. But when the couple wants to go to the prom together the principal objects, causing a civil rights controversy. This was around the time when gay couples were suing their high schools for the right to go to the prom as a couple, and much of Zombie Prom parallels this situation. Most of the show is about tolerance for "different" couples.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#9re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:45pm

Zombie Prom is an unpretentious, perfectly charming show. It might not be everyone's taste, but I love it. I saw a regional production of it about two years ago. I thought it was cute; all the friends I went with thought it was eh. But after listening to the CD, everyone loved it! It requires lots of listening to appreciate the particular brand of cleverness. But yes, the music is SO addictive. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up in the morning and thought, "Wake up every morning! So much stuff to learn.." The score is actually great. I haven't listened to the CD in awhile, but so many phrases are shooting at me right now, I can barely stand it. Yeah Dempsey and Rowe! If you like Zombie Prom and Witches of Eastwick, get The Fix! I wonder what they're up to now...

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Joshua488
#10re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:48pm

Gotta love Jessica-Snow Wilson!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#11re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:54pm

Jessica Snow Wilson is amazing! I saw her in Fringical! and she was hilarious. I also kept seeing her at The NY Musical Theatre Festival...
Can't wait to see her in Good Vibrations!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Jwaa
#12re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 3:55pm

I have it...but just cant get into it, it is fun and witty and quite cool and the music is good....

just hard to get in to personally.

wicked4life51 Profile Photo
wicked4life51
#13re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:26pm

yeah i have the cd but like it ddnt really catch me, i wasint thrown into it lol i mean its good and all but like it doesent catch me

"what? what is it? do i have something in my teeth? ok lets get this over with : no im not seasick,yes ive always been green, and no i didnt chew grass as a child "

hak Profile Photo
hak
#14re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:30pm

I saw the original off-Broadway production. It was a very fun show! I'd put it in the same vein as Little Shop - campy, poppy & singable tunes that get under your skin.

BwayLeadman
#15re: Zombie Prom: The Musical
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:05am

I think its a similar story line to the 80's film
"My Boyfriend's back"

Videos