pixeltracker

STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:23pm

I can't wait to hear back from those that went!! How was it?!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#1re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:25pm

I heard Eddie Varley stole the show.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:27pm

I'm watching the DVD of the first concert now. Eddie was great in that.

When is tonight's show over?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:28pm

Ugh. I'm really pissed I couldn't be there tonight.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

#4re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:40pm

It was an excellent show.

Eddie did a very good job with "I Believe in You" backed up by the Varlettes: David Gurwin, Robbie J plus one other.

Matt Cavanaugh was exceptionally fine with "I Am in Love" from CAN CAN

The queen of the evening was surpise guest Ellen Green who closed the first act with "Somewhere That's Green" followed by "Suddenly Seymour" with the entire audience singing the role of Audrey.

A fun and exciting night at Joe's Pup. (er, Pub, but I'm leaving the typo cause DotMarie likes it.) Great to meet so many wonderful members of BWW.com. I met George C. Wolfe and shared my enthusiasm for CARONLINE with him, and I shook hands with Marc Shaiman, too.

The show ran long and I bagged the after-party to come home to see Part Two of Inspector Dagliesh on PBS.

Updated On: 10/10/04 at 10:40 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:43pm

Awesome!! Ellen Green!

Suddenly Seymour! Is here to provide me with sweet understanding! Seymour's my man!

--Aristotle

#6re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:46pm

The audience went wild and give Ellen Green a true standing ovation after "Somewhere That's Green."

She stole the show, in my opinion. A class apart.

The good news is she's coming to Joe's Pub soon.

Oct 25th, 9:30pm. One night only.

Updated On: 10/10/04 at 10:46 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:48pm

Ugh! It hurts SO MUCH not to live in NYC.

Did Marc Shaiman or other do another video opener?

--Aristotle

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#8re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:48pm

oh, Jose, so that was you...you didn't introduce yourself...

#9re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:56pm

Marc, why did I think you'd be knocking 'em dead at the after-party at Fez? And here you are home, I think.

Yes, I know, I didn't purposefully intend not to introduce myself. We were rushing in opposite directions andyou appreared preoccupied as we passed in the corridor, but I wanted to say "Hi." I recall hearing you say to someone, "somebody has to tell me where Fez is."

I was going to send you a PM then I remembered you blocked me.

re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

#10re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 10:58pm

Marc did not do a video opener, folks.

Marc sang a song from his new show based on CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.

A good song it was too, very Frank Sinatra saloon style. Sung by the young man after his father has given him a stack of checks.

I have to say that Marc, the performer, gave it his all and put the number across beautifully, too.

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#11re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:32pm

What did everybody else sing? Namely Euan and Cheyenne. I heard Cheyenne was doing something from WSS and a duet with Jai. Details??

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

Updated On: 10/10/04 at 11:32 PM

#12re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:34pm

Two other highlights

Toxic Audio opened the show with "One Night Only."

Immediately followed by Billy Porter who stopped the show with the evening's first solo, "And The World Goes Round."

Clapping enthusiastically in the audience throughout the night: Kim Cea, Broadway Boobs, Iflitifloat, PapaLovesMambo, etoile, JRB_Actor, SonofMamaMiaSammy...many, many more.

Sold out crowd.

Mattio98
#13re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:35pm

Euan was not there. Cheyenne did Something's Coming from WSS and the Elephant Love Medley from Moulin Rouge with Jai playing the part of Satine. Both were wonderful.

ShineOn
#14re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:36pm

Marc, I didn't introduce myself to you either because I got remarkably shy (hadn't gotten the alcohol in me at that point)... but you were fabulous this evening. :)

When Ellen Greene walked on stage I had a mini-orgasm. In fact I squealed... really loudly and it was commented on (only I was accused of being a queen... eh, I always knew I was really a gay man deep down inside).

I loved meeting all you fabulous people... boobs, iflitifloat, etoile, sonofmammamiasammy... i'm totally forgetting people, but I love you all!

And Eddie rocks my socks off! (THANK YOU FOR THE ROSE!!! *smooches*) He definitely stole the show, apart from Ms. Greene's "Somewhere That's Green". re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

It was a great show! Score one for BWW! re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

dotmarie Profile Photo
dotmarie
#15re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:36pm

"A fun and exciting night at Joe's Pup."

LOL. I like this typo.

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#16re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:37pm

omg!!! that is sooo cute! cheyenne is sooo hot! haha....

how was erin leigh peck?

Mattio98
#17re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:40pm

I was about to introduce myself to Marc and then about 12 people stepped in the way. But Marc, that was a great performance. I loved the movie and now I'm looking forward to the show too. As far as casting, I would say either me or Gavin Creel for the part of Frank Jr. re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#18re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:45pm

Updated On: 10/21/04 at 11:45 PM

starfromafar Profile Photo
starfromafar
#19re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/10/04 at 11:52pm

Hey but being a starved actress doesn't suck as much as not following your dreams!!

ShineOn
#20re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/11/04 at 12:12am

I'm a "starving" actress and I was there. :)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

MadeofGold Profile Photo
MadeofGold
#21re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/11/04 at 12:18am

I had an amazing time at my first Standing Ovations tonight. Everyone was wonderful!

Highlights for me were Michael Arden and Jenna Leigh Green singing "Forever Yours" from Once on This Island, Eddie Varley's song, Matt Cavenaugh, Liz Callaway singing "Meadowlark" and Jai and Cheyenne singing the love medley from Moulin Rouge. That was unbelievably hot! O_O

The after party was even better and a lot of fun. It was also so nice to hang with Newcomer, Trisky, Nick, and my FB 2Day4U! :)

Also seeing Andyf, Native New Yorker and Linda again! You guys are awesome.

And speaking of awesome, had to say a special shout out to Craig, Rob, Eddie Varley (totally adorable), Cheryl(thank you again for the ticket), Scott Nevins and the unbelievably amazing SCOTT ALLGAUER!! Cutest.boy.evah! :)

When is this dvd coming out?! LOL

"... Still a little bit of your taste in my mouth. Still a little bit of you laced with my doubt. Still a little hard to say what's going on..." Damien Rice
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 12:18 AM

Blair
#22re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/11/04 at 12:53am

I had a great night! It was awesome, guys.

In my opinion, the highlights were Ellen Greene, of course. I was one of the gaspers after Scott said "Sorry, doctah!" And Cheyenne and Jai's Elephant Love Medley was so hot! I also LOVED when Larry O'Keefe accompanied Becca Ayers and Miguel Cervantes in the US premire of "Mine all Mine", "Inside Your Heart"'s replacement in the UK version of Bat Boy.

I'm sad I didn't get to stay and meet everyone at the after party. It sounds like you all had fun though.

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#23re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/11/04 at 1:52am

Congrats to Rob and Craig for organizing a truly fantastic evening of entertainment and being such sweet guys afterwards.

Though I think Eddie Varley now owns my heart, even if I've never seen Stars Wars or Lord of the Rings. Ahem...

Ellen Green was an absolute highlight.

Jai performing "Popular" complete with Zanna Don't wand made me giggle. I also thought he and Cheyenne were fantastic on their duet.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Michael Arden and Jenna Leigh Green on both their duet (which was absolutely lovely) and individual numbers.

There were so many great performances that it's hard to pick out one as standing heads and tails above the rest. There were a few folks I'd never heard perform before, but can't wait to catch in whatever they do next. I can't wait for the DVD!

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

andyf
#24re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!
Posted: 10/11/04 at 2:07am

Yo...Elephant Love Medley WAS hot. Scott Nevins was definitely jealous, conducting an interview from Cheyenne's lap pales in comparison to the kiss - Sorry, Scott.

Anyway, they were all seriously amazing. That BatBoy song was really crazy, she was belting out some crazy sh*t. Since I'm Sure everyone will get to everything, I'd like to take this time to fulfill my duties as the Scott Alan fan club and plug a little.

Liz Callaway, before she did Meadowlark, sang "Goodnight" from Piece, (music and lyrics by Scott Alan, book by Scott Alan and Tara Smith). www.scottalan.net.

HEY!! Speaking of Piece, they're doing a reading of it next Sunday at Makor (on 92nd Street), check Scott's site for details and whatnot....ITS GOING TO BE AMAZING, so if you CAN go, you BETTER.

So, plugging Piece...CHECK.

Basically everything was amazing, Mandy Gonzalez reminded me why I forced myself to sit through both Toni Braxton AND Michelle T. (but at least Michelle hit the F...) She is SO good.

Cheyenne Jackson...obviously. Ellen Greene - me and daisy did in fact have mini-orgasms when Scott did the Audrey impression, we almost needed a sponge or a hand towel...you know.

Gabby - Erin Leigh Peck was a surprise. First of all she looked GREAT for just having had a kid, and she could belt like whoa.

Jenna can really belt and she's NOT a bitch in real life, she was actually REALLY sweet which was fun.

I know I'm leaving people out, but I don't want to go on because then if I actually leave someone out, I'll feel bad. THEY WERE ALL AMAZING.

But I want Standing Ovations 3 NOW! I can settle for a Cheyenne Jackson concert...Or a Cheyenne Jackson reading of the phone book...whichever's easier.

OK, two things to close. One for NNY and one for SA re: STANDING OVATIONS 2 - Gimme Gimme Your Reviews!

1. EVERYBODY NEEDS TO LOVE CHEYENNE.

and

2. GO TO PIECE!!!!

the end.

PS - it was nice to ACTUALLY meet MoG this time (hope you liked the story) and the infamous FB and the others who I didn't REALLY get to meet.

EDIT: LOVE the Millie allusion...LOVE the Millie.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 02:07 AM

Videos