Cary Shields

timote316
#0Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 1:26pm

I know Cary was in Rent as Roger somewhat recently (maybe a year ago? I'm not sure). I saw on CB that he is now playing Gordon/The Man/Mr Grey. Why did he drop from a lead.

How common is this? What are some other examples of this happening? (I know Margo could probably give us someone)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 1:29pm

Could be that maybe he just wanted the work.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

AlienOnBroadway
#2re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 1:46pm

I'm sure there are more qualified people or Rentheads here to answer this, but I'll give it a go anyway.
Cary was a swing on the Benny tour ages ago, then moved to Bway as Roger. He left Rent to do Taboo. After that, he didn't have a job. When Sebastian Arcelus, who is a swing covering for Roger...well and all the male roles pretty much...left for a while to do some shows at the Fringe and NYMF Festivals, Cary moved in to take his place. As far as I know Sebastian is going back and Cary is out again sometime in the near future (read next couple of weeks.)

This happens constantly at Rent. It seems like once an actor is in that show, he/she periodically is asked back to fill in positions a lot. And they all pretty much seem to be okay with it. A lot of them love the show. And after all, it's a paycheck--they have to pay the rent!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#3re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 1:52pm

A friend of mine did the same thing at Les Miz years ago. It's kind of like a temp job, but instead of going to an office you go to a theatre. I'm sure it's very common at shows after they've been running for a while. Bring in someone temporarily that already knows the show.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

#4re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 1:56pm

He is so Hot!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:04pm

Wow, he's back in the show? Where have I been...?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

2day4u9704301 Profile Photo
2day4u9704301
#6re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:06pm

I just went yesterday, and he is listed as an understudy/swing.

I also don't know how valid this is, but I heard that Jeremy is leaving after the holidays, and Cary is taking over as Roger.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#7re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:12pm

I'm pretty sure Cary's only going to be around as a swing for a little while longer before Sebastian comes back. I don't think he went on as Roger the entire time he was back, but I know he got in a few Gordons.

I, too, have heard that Cary will be taking over Roger when Jeremy leaves after the holidays. Sad that Jeremy has to go, but could for Cary, cuz hey, it's work and a paycheck and time on a stage, and who would turn that down.

Eyemakeup3 Profile Photo
Eyemakeup3
#8re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:36pm

It's always a happy day when he is singing.

"Real friends are very special, but you have to be careful because sometimes you have a friend and you think they are made of rock, then suddenly you realise they're only made of sand." Maria Callas (American soprano. 1923-1977)

broadwayguy2
#9re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:38pm

cary Shields is quite enjoyable.

NativeNewYorker
#10re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:44pm

He is...

(but he's no Cheyenne Jackson!)

GirlfriendFromCanada
#11re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:47pm

I just hope that I can remember Cary's Roger after seeing it this time around. It left no impression on me when I saw it last summer. And that's coming from someone who could write pages about the portrayals of some of the other Rogers she's seen.

It would be fun if Chad Richardson had gotten Roger somewhere along the line. Or hire Joshua Kobak already. Ok.

2day4u9704301 Profile Photo
2day4u9704301
#12re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:49pm

Amen NNY! re: Cary Shields

broadwayguy2
#13re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 2:53pm

Kobak is FAB.

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#14re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/12/04 at 4:36pm

I also don't know how valid this is, but I heard that Jeremy is leaving after the holidays, and Cary is taking over as Roger.

I saw Rent a few weeks ago, and both Cary and Karmine Alers told me after the show that he would be returning in January as the fulltime Roger.

Kris2 Profile Photo
Kris2
#15re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/13/04 at 12:56am

Lori! I was with you for that! Great show too. I didn't realize you posted on these boards. It's a small world after all.

Cary is only back as a swing for a little while, not as Gordon (though he has gone on in the role since he's been back). He is supposed to be assuming the role of Roger fulltime on Broadway in January. He was a swing with the Benny and Angel Tours of Rent, though he appeared fulltime as Roger in the Canadian cast. He did a three month stint on Broadway as fulltime Roger in the summer of 2003. He then did Taboo. Now he's back for 7 weeks as a swing, but he should be leaving soon since Sebastian Arcelus is coming back to resume his swing position. Visit http://www.caryshields.com.

Examples of leads dropping down:
It happens a lot in Rent.

Karmine Alers started as a swing with the Benny Tour and then on Broadway, then she was fulltime Mimi for over a year on Bdway and then was dropped down to swing again when Krystal Washington was brought in to play Mimi from the Collins Tour of Rent.

Dominique Roy was fulltime Mimi on the Benny Tour and for like 6 weeks on Broadway, but she has been a swing for many many years.

Matt Caplan started as a swing on the Benny Tour, moved up to fulltime Mark, then started on Broadway as a swing again, moved up to fulltime Mark, went on standby, then resumed fulltime Mark, and is now back to being a standby for a short period of time.

I could probably give many more examples from Rent.

andyf
#16re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/13/04 at 1:01am

HAHAHAHA.

"He is...(but he's no Cheyenne Jackson!) "

Damn straight Native! re: Cary Shields

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#17re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/13/04 at 8:37am

Lori! I was with you for that! Great show too. I didn't realize you posted on these boards. It's a small world after all.

Yes, yes you were with me. And I lied - he and Karmine didn't tell me that, they told Heather that. But...but...buut...I was standing right there! That counts, right?

I had to admit to the little white lie I made. BECAUSE OF YOU, Kristen, I had to be TRUE TO MY HEART about it. re: Cary Shields re: Cary Shields Updated On: 10/13/04 at 08:37 AM

GirlfriendFromCanada
#18re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/13/04 at 9:20am

Actually, Cary WAS Roger with the Benny Tour for quite a long time. I believe he was a swing first, but replaced Christian Mena when he left (then Christian came back and filled in for Cary, then Cary took over again). There was a lot of flipping around during those days of the Benny Tour as far as Roger was concerned.

Kris2 Profile Photo
Kris2
#19re: Cary Shields
Posted: 10/13/04 at 10:22am

GirlfriendFromCanada - Yeah, I don't know how I left out Cary's run as fulltime Roger with the Benny Tour. My brain is going wonky. How the HELL did I leave that out? Thanks for the reminder!

I had to admit to the little white lie I made. BECAUSE OF YOU, Kristen, I had to be TRUE TO MY HEART about it.

Oh Lord. Hehehe. ::looks around and whistles::

Videos