pixeltracker

Hairspray! Oh, oh, oh, it's Okay!

Hairspray! Oh, oh, oh, it's Okay!

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#0Hairspray! Oh, oh, oh, it's Okay!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 5:54pm

Gosh, people love Hairspray! I just don't get it. There's nothing original or even good about it. Yes, the music is fun and makes you want to shake your hips, but so does that of Britney Spears, and she's no good either!

I saw the show when it first premiered in Seattle and I was not impressed. Half of the lyrics were the Tracy character going "oh, oh, oh." Come on! I really like Marissa and Harvey was good as well, but the material they were given was not. Such a shame too, as South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, has an astonishingly brilliant score. I would have expected more out of Marc. Maybe that's my problem.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry
Updated On: 12/1/04 at 05:54 PM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 5:55pm

Oh, dear. Let the chanting of "Burn the witch!" begin...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#2re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 5:56pm

If that's a "Which Witch" reference, don't bring that show into this discussion :) No, seriously, is anyone familiar with "Which Witch"? I have the 2CD London Cast and it has to be one of the worst musicals I've ever heard! Well, there we have it, one musical that's worse than Hairspray. Ok, kidding. Hairspray is not terrible, but it's not great and not worthy of Best Musical!

OMG - I LOVE your quote. Classic!

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry
Updated On: 11/30/04 at 05:56 PM

MargoChanning
#3re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 5:59pm

I completely and totally disagree -- a GREAT show. A terrific book that manages to take on serious issues of race and acceptance yet still be very funny and not preachy at all, terrific music and clever lyrics (and appropriate to the early 60s time period), seemless staging, creative choreography, outstanding design elements and (at least as far as the original cast -- I haven't seen the replacements) a first rate ensemble. I couldn't disagree with you more.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#4re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 5:59pm

seriously, is your job on the planet to bash things? If you ARE going to, do it tastefully.

xluckystar2107x
#5re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:01pm

YAY Margo, and another thing, this is your second negative critique in the same day, i think that for a Swing you should be over your quota....for the month.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#6re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:02pm

Well, I found that it failed to take on serious issues of race as well as the movie, nor do I think the score is terrific and the lyrics clever. I will give you the seemless staging, creative choreography, outstanding design elements and (at least as far as the original cast -- I haven't seen the replacements) a first rate ensemble, but the book and score are just not quite up to a Best Musical standard IMO.

TheaterGeek91
#7re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:02pm

Well I happen to like Hairspray. It's very fun. If I am going to see a fun musical, I'd rather it be that than the Producers or Mama Mia.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#8re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:03pm

What was my other negative comment? Oh, about the Canadian POTO? I said Colm was not up to par, but everything else was excellent. I don't like Hairspray and I don't like AIDA, what's the big deal?

xluckystar2107x
#9re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:04pm

wicked too. actually, i dont blame you for complaining about the excess of wicked threads. But i do dislike your statement about Kristin Chenoweth.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#10re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:05pm

What I like about Mamma Mia is it knows what it is and it uses it. I mean, it's so corny, but the way the dialogue is used is great, because it's so corny that it's funny. The Producers is just brilliant! Granted this past year was not the best for musicals, but I still would have given it to DOTV. Only kidding!

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#11re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:06pm

OMG, I did not complain about excess Wicked threads! I think the more discussion, the better. I was merely a little surprised that the show is so talked about. I never said it was bad, or that I didn't enjoy it. I quite like Wicked, but I'm sure you have to see it to really appreciate it. Also, I think Kristin is a terrific actress. I just said Glinda sounds just like Lucy, but someone pointed out that's her natural voice, which I didn't know. Geez.

xluckystar2107x
#12re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:07pm

Mama Mia! reminds me of the people who think they can sing going into a karaoke bar.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#13re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:08pm

Exactly, but that's why Mamma Mia works. It doesn't pretend to be ground-breaking, innovative, or brilliant. It knows it's corny and it goes with it. That is why it is a success.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#14re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:09pm

I haven't seen HAIRSPRAY, but in general, I think modern musicals could grow up a bit...I'm all for full-on silliness, but come ON! Enough already!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#15re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:09pm

lol. thay was a good one!

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#16re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:11pm

I do have to say the i kind of agree about hairspray though. Idon't think it's THAT great. Everything is perfect, but the music is weak in my opinion. And the music makes the musical.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#17re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:13pm

The music is weak, and so are the dialogue and lyrics. You all talk about how this show deals with such deep issues, yet every song is pretty much funny? Sorry, it doesn't work. It's silly and it's silly to even suggest that Hairspray deals with any important issues.

Watch the movie, which is brilliant, then tell me the musical does it justice. You can't. The film is one of my favorite films, maybe that's why I am so harsh on the musical.

I admit that I listen to it - it's fun and it's fluff. I'm just saying it's not this great musical that is deserving of the praise it has gotten.

Updated On: 11/30/04 at 06:13 PM

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#18re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:13pm

I don't remember any of Loge's other posts, but I don't think this thread is particularly negative. He supported his claims and mentioned the positives as well.

Just my (not so) humble opinion. re: Hairspray!  It's Not That Good!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#19re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:15pm

Well Loge I disagree with you about Hairspray, I think it's just brilliant. But I agree that also Mamma Mia is a very good fun show. I am all for pure FUN and Happy shows and I think that both do a great job in entertaining the audience !

Take care

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#20re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:15pm

Thank you Tiff! People, however, seem to just pull out the negatives and react to them. I think there are only two shows that I couldn't make a negative comment about - Sweeney Todd & Ragtime! Other than that, I did state the postives about Hairspray and the things I don't like about it.

Updated On: 11/30/04 at 06:15 PM

BwayTheatre11
#21re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:17pm

I am sure a lot has changed since Seattle.

CCM '10!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#22re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:17pm

OMG Tiff that Icon is just scary,

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jmaclover Profile Photo
jmaclover
#23re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:19pm

Are you having fun starting these posts LOGE?

"I've often said I should put sweets in my chair - they'd spend less time on my a** that way....." ~F.W.B.

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#24re: Hairspray! It's Not That Good!
Posted: 11/30/04 at 6:20pm

I love that icon. And, yes, I am sure there have been changes since Seattle, but I doubt that many. It was a huge success and well received. I know I'm in the minority here, but I honestly don't think it was that much better than DOTV, yet it got tremendous praise, awards, and is a blockbuster. We all know what DOTV's fate was. It's just interesting how one mediocre show (well two if you add AIDA) can achieve hit status, yet another (just as mediocre) fails miserably.