RENT Movie, set in 1985?

RyanDavis
#0RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:34pm

Did you all know that the movie is going to be set in 1985? I just wrote a whole article about it on stagespace.com - on why it doesn't make any sense.

Ryan

GirlfriendFromCanada
#1re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:36pm

That's really NOT possible.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#2re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:36pm

Where did you read that? I don't think it can be set in 1985. Where would they get their AZT? Hell, some of the references in the songs wouldn't even make sense.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

FabalaCohen
#3re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:37pm

Wait- I thought Columbus was putting in gay marriage. Isn't that more of a current thing rather than it was in 1985? (seriously do not know, since I wasn't around then-well, in utereo for a bit)

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#4re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:37pm

It's probably 1995.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

RyanDavis
#5re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:38pm

I read it in the script. It says 1985.

Ryan

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#6re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:39pm

If you want this cleared up I suggest going to the "Welcome Anthony Rapp" thread and asking there.. Anthony tries to answer questions as often as possible.. He wont give away anything important, but he can probably tell you for sure on this..

"All work and no smut makes Cammy lose her edge." ~DG

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

FabalaCohen
#7re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:39pm

*raises eyebrows*

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

CrAzIaBoUtReNt
#8re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:40pm

What the hell! How can Rent be set in 1985? That is simply NOT possible. The kind of material in Rent is more set in our time, so I agree with FabalaCohen. He is right. There wouldn't be a gay marriage that long ago.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#9re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:40pm

In the script it says mid 1980's. I never noticed that before, my eyes wanted to change it to 1990's I guess. It could always be a typo, because if it's not, that setting makes no sense. Updated On: 12/1/04 at 05:40 PM

FabalaCohen
#10re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:42pm

Plus I read both scripts- the Chbosky and the Columbus- and I never saw "1985" in either of them.

camerangel Profile Photo
camerangel
#11re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?

Like I said go ask Anthony.. he will probably be on sometime today with a brief update on rehearsals anyway..

"All work and no smut makes Cammy lose her edge." ~DG

"Someday I'm going to have a baby and I'm gonna name her L'il Mimi Marquez and I and will sing to her every day and when she's a toddler I will say "L'il Mimi Marquez, clad only in a bubble diaper, will perform her famous play pen handcuff dance to the sounds of breast milk being pumped!" ~Kringas

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#12re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?

Crazyiaboutrent, even if the show was set in the early 90's like the musical looks like it is, gay marriage still would't be as big an issue as it was now, probably. RENT is becoming a period piece regardless, and CC is probably crossing lines by putting that in there. I do, though, think it's possible.... maybe not '85, but the later part of the 80's for sure is a possibility.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

RyanDavis
#13re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?

This script has been through tons of rewrites, think they would catch a typo...

Ryan
stagespace.com

RyanDavis
#14re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:43pm

MID 1980S

BroadwayGirl107
#15re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:45pm

Well, the script I'm looking at (which I'm assuming is the same one you're looking at...from September) is probably an early draft.

I'd LIKE to believe it's a typo. I really can't see any rational reason as to why they would even change the time period it takes place in in the first place.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:46pm

Right, I did read that it said Mid 1980's, but if a bunch of people on a message board realize some things won't make sense, I'm fairly certain the people working on the film MIGHT catch it...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

RyanDavis
#17re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:47pm

Remember, this is the guy who directed the first two Harry Potter movies... Don't count on anything.

Ryan
StageSpace.com

BroadwayGirl107
#18re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:48pm

It also says "Don't screen, Maureen, it's me Joanne"

It's supposed to be "Don't SCREAM, Maureen..."

They'd catch a typo..you're sure about that now?

BroadwayGirl107
#19re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:50pm

The second after I typed that I realized...I'M wrong, LOL. It is don't screen.

Blonde moment.

RyanDavis
#20re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:53pm

I won't say anything :)

Ryan
stagespace.com
real news.

FabalaCohen
#21re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:53pm

"Remember, this is the guy who directed the first two Harry Potter movies... Don't count on anything."

I know this has been brought up already, but why are we basing our opinion on Columbus's most recent films? We haven't seen it yet. We can't judge it.

And personally, I enjoyed the first two HP films better than PoA. At least Columbus left in the important plot points.

RyanDavis
#22re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:58pm

We have some stuff to judge it on.

A) The script.
b) his recent interview
c) the fact that Chris Columbus at the helm makes no sense.

Wouldn't you rather see John C Mitchell direct it?

Ryan
stagespace.com

FabalaCohen
#23re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:59pm

Please tell me you did read Anthony latest comments about the film- including script revision- in his "Welcome..." thread.

And who knows? MAYBE the film would end up great. It could be awful. WE DON'T KNOW.

Updated On: 12/1/04 at 05:59 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#24re: RENT Movie, set in 1985?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 6:02pm

Where is everyone finding this script? I've been wanting to read it...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Videos