pixeltracker

Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?

Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#0Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/1/04 at 5:36pm

I am listening to the WONDERFUL Swedish Cast Recording of Kristina and while I don't understand a word, the show has one of the best scores I've ever heard. Last I heard, a production for the U.S. is in the works. Does anyone have any info, and does the show have fans out there that want to talk about it?

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#1re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/2/04 at 4:57am

I've been listening to the complete recording over the past few days and fallen in love with it. I know nothing else about it, but an English language production would be great! Certain parts (especially the choral sections) sound a little like Chess but this is much more operatic in it's size and scale.

If you want a run down of the plot etc, try the link below

Stacy's Musical Village

SWTaffy Profile Photo
SWTaffy
#2re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/2/04 at 9:14am

My brother in law's from Sweden and he gave me the CD. I haven't listened to it that much but from what I've heard I enjoyed it.

It's worth a shot/ :) www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=15009978

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#3re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/2/04 at 1:50pm

It's beautiful. I do think they need to remove the few rock elements of the show. The folk-classical score, which encompasses most of the show, is breathtaking!

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

AlfredFaber Profile Photo
AlfredFaber
#4re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:09pm

I'm a huge fan of the show! Seen it lots of times in sweden. If anybody has any questions about the show I'm gonna do my best to answer!

There is a "word-for-word" translation into english at this adress:
http://libretto.musicals.ru/text.php?textid=452&language=1

it has the original swedisg text and then the english below.

sweeedboy
#5re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 12/2/04 at 5:07pm

Kristina has one of the most glorious scores ever written. Helen Sjoholm(the leading lady) is simply breath taking in the recording(and to think she was only 25!!) I don't know how well it would work over here, considering its about a 4 hour show, but i would love to see it.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#8re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 1/24/06 at 7:27pm

I'm a big fan of the show too, and would LOVE to see it.

Of course, here in the U.S. the musicians' unions would bankrupt a show running more than 3 hours. I don't blame them though. Heaven forbid the orchestra members should have to work more than 3 hours a day for their $100,000 a year.

ThunderCat8
#9re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:38am

I adore this musical. Last I heard it was going to Minnesota, followed by Broadway. I am happy to sit through a 4 hours musical, but I can imagine some people finding this too long! If it does come to broadway, I will be flying to NY from London to see it! Especially if Helen Sjoholm is in it, who I just LOVE! She is the best thing ever to come from Sweden.

If anyone has any news, keep us updated!!

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#10re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:03am

It is in pre-production for a Broadway opening as we speak, unfotunately Helen S will not grace the US stage as kristina(a huge loss, if you ask me)It is quite possibly the best musical ever...Saw it twice in Stockholm

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

ThunderCat8
#11re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 2:12pm

I wish I'd known about Kristina when it was on in Sweden. T'is only a short flight from the Uk! Seriously, anybody who hasn't heard this musical, DO! Yes, it is all in Swedish, but that is perhaps a good thing - the songs don't get boring!

I love Helen Sjoholm, I really do!

ps, if anybody wants me to send them a taster mp3 from this musical, just ask, and I'll send one over. Updated On: 1/25/06 at 02:12 PM

grlewycky Profile Photo
grlewycky
#12re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 2/27/06 at 5:05pm

Kristina is a fantastic and powerful musical/drama/opera
I would call it Benny Anderrson's masterpiece !!!!

Unfortunately the unions wont allow some fantastic voices from its original Swedish cast into Broadway such as Helene Sjöholm whose voice was superb and Angelic.

Also FYI: On March 18th Benny and his Orchestra are performing in wintry Minnesota, I'll be there...I was lucky to see a condensed Kristina performance twice in Minnesota 10 years ago

http://www.americanswedishinst.org/baoconert.htm

George
Kristina web site

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#13re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 2/27/06 at 6:17pm

**Of course, here in the U.S. the musicians' unions would bankrupt a show running more than 3 hours. I don't blame them though. Heaven forbid the orchestra members should have to work more than 3 hours a day for their $100,000 a year. **

Ah...not quite. :)

I work 12 hours a day and don't even come close to that number. As a matter of fact I posted a thread about finding a good day job. And of all the musicians I know in 802, only *3* are currently in a situation where they have a seemingly long term gig, but no guarantees. Most of my co-horts in 802 are temping right now and barely making ends meet. Maybe Sondheim makes that amount of money a year, but most musicians don't.

As for the orchestra size, IMWO, there is no pit big enough on Broadway to handsomely compliment this score regardless, unless you do it at Radio City in concert. I was always bummed about the smaller size pit that did the Broadway run of Chess, because it just couldn't capture the majesty of the London Symphony Orchestra, but you can only fit so many musicians under the stage. Then again, it's the producers that keep pits small, not the Union, they have a hard enough time just to keep humans working, that is unless, you truly want to hear a tape in the house every night. But that's another dead horse of a topic that's already been long beaten. :)

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Robyn2
#14re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 2/28/06 at 11:38am

I to, love Kristina från Duvemåla.Yet another wonderful score from Björn & Benny,and a great musical.
Wilhelm Moberg's books are great reading too.

I know there's been auditions for the Broadway show.As far as I've heard that non of the original Swedish cast will reprise their roles on Broadway.

It's scheduled for Broadway in 2006/7.

My favourite song is "Guldet blev til Sand"....

~Robyn

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#15re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 2/28/06 at 12:35pm

More info here...

Had not heard about Alice Ripley until today!
http://www.icethesite.com/kristinanews.htm

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ShineOn
#16re: Kristina fran Duvemala - does she have any fans here?
Posted: 2/28/06 at 1:11pm

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
Updated On: 2/28/06 at 01:11 PM

Videos