pixeltracker

Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign

Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#0Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 2:33pm

Did Warner Bros. "drop the ball" when they created their graphic images in the advertising for "Phantom"? They've released a poster and two soundtracks that clearly have the Phantom's mask on the wrong side of his face.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#1re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 2:36pm

re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign

shaun3000
#2re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:00pm

Considering the official logo contains a mask that covers most of the face, I don't think WB flipping the image around in some of the posters is that big of a deal.

BwayTheatre11
#3re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 3:29pm

I am getting the POTO movie soundtrack, special edition, for Christmas!

CCM '10!

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#4re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:05pm

No one is going to notice the mask is on the wrong side. There are plenty of mrrirs in this show anyway. Did you ever think of that?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:12pm

ha. clever little devil... c'mon Marquise get with it... we're looking at the image in the mirror... how cool is that huh? re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign Updated On: 12/2/04 at 07:12 PM

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#6re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:17pm

Well bronxboundexpress seeing as there's not a mirror featured prominently in the ads a mirror never actually came to mind.

shaun 3000 - - -
it was a great point you brought up. the official logo used in the broadway and london productions did use a full faced mask when it was actually a half-face mask that the Phantom used.

it really isn't a big deal i was just wondering if anyone else had noticed. i'm a stickler for details like this since i do graphic design on the side...i'm really into advertising, presentation, etc.

the cd cover image that i posted in my message is clearly not the one released. i created it myself incorporationg elements from the movie and the show. notice i used the full mask, the rose and the ORIGINAL Phantom logo with the the blue tinted font. re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign

CATSNYrevival
#7re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:31pm

I don't have the highlights CD so I didn't notice the new cover you made, I like it, but I did notice the mask being on the opposite side a few nights ago, but then I looked at the pictures in the CD and they all had the mask on the correct side again so I just figured they mirrored the image so it would look better on the right side and went back to my meatballs...

bronxboundexpress
#8re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:33pm

Lets bring something else up while this is being duscussed. Why has the rose always been removed from the show logo when we see it now. It's on the original poster and cd cover but everywhere else they just leave it out. Why would you leave it out? Was it makeing it look worse? The rose is nice undoubtedly. Why would they think it was better to not be there?

magelet21
#9re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:34pm

I just bought the highlights recording. They do a few funking things with the tempo, which works better in some songs (Masquerade) than in others (Music of the Night).

I'm actually pretty happy with it overall.

I never did like Sarah Brightman's interpretation of Christine..I've heard much better interpretations at various Broadway and Touring Productions.

CATSNYrevival
#10re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:37pm

well, the whole original idea of the mask representing the phantom and the rose representing christine was just stupid anyway. especially since there is no rose in the show. at least the movie has a rose... saw it in the preview...

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:39pm

Yes. Schumacker said that the Rose symbalizes the love between the Phantom and Christine and is used (especially during a pivital moment......A*K*A "All I Ask of You/Reprise")

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:39pm

that's interesting bronxboundexpress...the rose has been eliminated in alot of the later POTO campaigns. it did add a nice touch to it because i always looke at that rose as representing Christine, just as the mask represents the Phantom.

i wasn't at all happy that the movie version didn't use the blue tinted font as in the original stage show. they used the same exact font but just plain white. the blue tinted font was striking and gave the font some dimension and the feel of a mirror that had just been smashed to bits.

but that's just the designer in me talking....

bronxboundexpress
#13re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:43pm

And in the trailer the font is gold which I think it looks terrible. I really would not have minded if they did a new logo. This one is from the 80s afterall. I just watched the original music video with Sarah Brightman and Steve Harley and forgot how 80s think musical really is!

CATSNYrevival
#14re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:49pm

well, you gotta remember the original concept for Andrew's Phantom of the Opera was a little more rocky horror than it ended up being. which, I guess, is a good thing...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#15re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 7:53pm

just because there wasn't a rose in the show doesn't mean they shouldn't have used a rose in the ad campaign CATS.

CATSNYrevival
#16re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/2/04 at 8:58pm

I never said that. I just said I didn't like it...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 12:12am

oh but you did:
"well, the whole original idea of the mask representing the phantom and the rose representing christine was just stupid anyway. especially since there is no rose in the show."

CATSNYrevival
#18re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 12:30am

you're twisting my words... I don't not like a rose on the poster simply because there is no rose in the show, I think the rose is a dumb as$ idea all together...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#19re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:23am

as usual you have a way with words. . .

CATSNYrevival
#20re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:32am

thank you. now go pick on someone else, I'm busy...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#21re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:33am

yeah go finish your meatballs fatso

CATSNYrevival
#22re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:39am

hey now, I was cooking those meatballs, not eating them. I don't eat cows...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#23re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:43am

my bad....lol re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign

CATSNYrevival
#24re: Phantom of the Opera Ad campaign
Posted: 12/3/04 at 2:51am

the way I see it... just because I don't believe in eating animals... I have nothing wrong with people who do and I'm not gonna fork over my culinary expertise just because I wouldn't eat it myself... what the hell happened to this thread??? ugh...

Videos