Norm Lewis

singnyc
#0Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/28/03 at 10:16pm

Could have sworn I just saw Norm Lewis on an Olive Garden commercial...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/28/03 at 10:58pm

The guy has no luck. He is a great talent but lousy luck as 2 of his recent shows ( Sideshow & Amour )tanked. We both enjoyed both & his rendition of "You Should Be Loved " from Sideshow is a classic

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/28/03 at 10:58 PM

ShineOn
#2re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/28/03 at 11:53pm

He was also in The Wild Party which was a super big flop.

(I <3heart<3 Norm!!!!)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

ShineOn
#3re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/28/03 at 11:54pm

He was also in The Wild Party which was a super big flop.

(I <3heart<3 Norm!!!!)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."

bestofbroadway
#4re: re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/29/03 at 12:16am

The man is so humble and one of the nicest men in the business. He is working (most recently in the concert of Chess.) I wouldn't say that "Side Show" or "Wild Party" were "HUGE" flops either. They certainly weren't the popular commercial shows like "Hairspray" or "The Producers" but they are definetely better material.

#5re: re: re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/29/03 at 12:55am

Norm is fabulous. I wish he would do a solo album.

And he was in TOMMY with Alice Ripley and Sherie Scott back when Sherie was Sherie Scott.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#6Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 12:50pm

I agree with all posts. "You Should Be Loved" is still one of the finest moments in SS. I am curious, though -- with his pipes, why hasn't Norm had a shot at, say, The Phantom ... or when it was running, Les Miz? (I don't think it's race -- Robert Guilliame played the Phantom in LA, right?) He would've made a helluva Curly, come to think of it. But then, I like color blind casting. It seems to have gone out of favor, oddly enough. This whole post may be pointless, since perhaps a) those roles aren't exactly in his range, or b) Norm doesn't want to replace people.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 10/29/03 at 12:50 PM

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#7re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 12:58pm

One of my favorite Norm Lewis surprise moments came when, one Monday night, I was at (surprise) Splash for Musical Mondays. It was right before that Once on this Island benefit and Jerry Dixon (I believe) hosted a live performance. He sang 'Forever Yours' (which was lovely) and then said 'And here's Norm Lewis to sing RAIN!' He showed up wearing the tightest tshirt, with his hair in mini-dreds and sang the sh*t out of it. It was HOT! And the straight Mr. Lewis seemed to love the attention of us theatre fags!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

sheekala
#8re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 12:58pm

I've often requested that Norm be seen for all those roles and more...small minds. Small minds my friends.

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum Bring gloom down to the minimum Have faith or pandemonium's Liable to walk upon the scene

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#9re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 1:01pm

But Norm did in fact play Sweeney down in DC, no?

I love his voice, love his presence and think he should work more.

The only roles I've seen him in are in Wild Party and Amour. I thought he was wonderful in both, but how would one say his acting is.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#10re: re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 1:05pm

I see no problem in a black man playing VelJean or the Phantom. However, Norm is too handsome for VelJean, and not a tenor for both those roles. So with that in mind, I can see why one would be hesitant to cast him in those roles.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#11re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 1:16pm

Like many roles, Both ValJean & Phantom are a bit too type casted, in my opinion. Casting directors lean toward specifics for these roles, whether they be a tallish, lean, phantom (which is the norm) or a certain charcter type for ValJean. I was recently told they rarely cast a dark - haired Chris for Miss Saigon.

Anyway, these factors may contribute to the reason why great talent like Norm is just not picked up as often as we all would like to see. I'm guessing Norm would agree, since he & I talked about this a few times. In fact, this summer he joked onstage after missing the key to "Oklahoma" by saying " Ya know they wanted to cast me as Curly, but I told them they'd have to call my character Nappy!" Very funny moment, enjoyed by all.

Norm's a dear with a glorious voice and sense of humor that everyone loves! For more details on how Norm feels about all this here's an interview I did with him way back when..
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/rialto/past/2001/8_16_01pt2.html

if this doesn't access, go to www.talkinbroadway.com click on "Rialto" then plug in my name "pati buehler" in the sqaure box at the bottom. My reviews will come up.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

#12re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 1:24pm

Norm was excellent as Curtis in Dreamgirls opposite Jennifer Holliday in one show, and opposite Lillias White in the concert version!

Norm also appears on the concert benefit cd "Elegies for Angeles, Punks and Raging Queens" along side Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, Brian D'Arcy James, Sharon Wilkes, Amy Spanger. Norm Sings the finale song "learning to let go." what a voice.

tpdc
#13 Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 1:49pm

I think WILD PARTY was a pretty big flop.

Norm was an interesting Sweeney. I saw him in the role twice, once at the beginning of the run and again near the end of the run. He definately grew in the role. He was energetic the first time and had a few good moments. Near the end of the run, he had found what he wanted to do with the role. He was truly frightening on his entrance. He had a controlled menace and you felt like he might snap at any moment. I liked his performance as Sweeney but many people didn't. Perhaps it was because he was not able to sing such a challenging role 7 times a week unamplified. At both performances I saw, he was straining and was dissapointing in the songs.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#14re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 2:23pm

i've always liked ELEGIES. Anyone else?

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

ShineOn
#15re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 7:28pm

OMG! I LOVE Elegies. Norm's song is one of my favorites, but I think "My Brother Lived in San Francisco" is my absolute favorite. There are sooooo many great songs, though. Those two tracks are over played in my house, however (and not just by me... my roommate too, lol).

How about his "Anytime" on Infinite Joy? I looooooove that song. I love Carolee's rendition on William Finn's Elegies, too.

singnyc
#16re: re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 7:34pm

Can I just say how much I love hearing Norm sing "Sailing" (from A New Brain) Beautiful!!!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#17re: re: re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 8:07pm

I absolutely love him!! The first time I heard him sing was on the Jerry Lewis Telethon (ages ago). He sang, "On A Clear Day". What an amazing voice he has. Wish the general public had the privilege of hearing him sing. I agree with an earlier post saying he should release a CD. I'd definitely buy it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Klingguy77
#18re: re: re: re: re: Norm -- why no shot at Val Jean or The Phantom
Posted: 10/29/03 at 8:11pm

Norm was GREAT in Miss Saigon and...Chris is almost normally played by a dark haired guy...the blones are very rare for chris

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#19Wasn't Norm John in SAIGON? Too bad about SWEENEY
Posted: 10/29/03 at 9:19pm

Maybe I lost a thread, but wasn't he John in SAIGON? Did he ever play Chris? That would've been interesting. OT: The Asian wife -- Ellen -- was brilliant stroke the last year on b'way.

I was intrigued by the comments on his trouble with the SWEENEY score. Surprised me. But from what I heard, it almost killed Len Cariou. I think George Hearn had the best command of it.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

simplywill Profile Photo
simplywill
#20re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/29/03 at 9:27pm

norm is my hero. He is everything i want to be. I don't care about amazing fame, if i could just sound like him every day of my life, i could die happy. I could listen to him non-stop. Not to mention he's gorgeous.

He's also on recordings of kurt weill's music, as well as the gershwin concert cd.

i'm so glad someone decided to write about him, its funny though i saw him on the olive garden commercial this evening and was shocked myself. still gorgeous though. I repeat he is the apitamy(forgive my spelling) of what i want to be.

will

"Your voice is not for you, its for me your audience. Why spend your time listening to yourself when you sing." --Florence Birdwell
Updated On: 10/29/03 at 09:27 PM

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#21re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/29/03 at 10:25pm

I've not seen Norm in Miss Saigon, but he did a great Bu Doi in concert last summer. Also a very nice "In Lilly's Eyes" with Rob Evan at Rob's China Club concert.

RE: Saigon's "Chris". I'm sure there are some dark haired "Chris'". But oddly enough, all the Chris' I've seen were light haired. Doesn't matter.

RE: A solo CD? Sure. Find someone to put up the money and we can call him! ...just kidding...but a quality CD from a Bd'w performer is not cheap.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

#22re: re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/30/03 at 12:42am

I absolutely love ELEGIES.. it is one of those cds I have in my car at ALL times. I cry with Brother Lives in San Francisco.

ShineOn
#23re: re: re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/30/03 at 8:41am

I *love* "My Brother Lived in San Francisco"... I want to get my hands on the sheet music...

rlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
#24re: re: re: re: re: Norm Lewis
Posted: 10/30/03 at 8:57am

I'm also a big ol' Norm Lewis fan...what a velvet voice. Yessireebob.