Auditions out of the blue?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#0Auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 1:13pm

I was just asked to audition for a production after meeting the producer. It was totally out of the blue. It is not really my thing, but I was very flattered. I don't know if he was just being nice or what.
Has anyone here ever been asked to audtion for a production without the producers ever haveing seen you perform? I mean it was a totally social setting and he did not even know if I was an actor.
I just thought it was odd!

PEACE.

maybethistime
#1re: Auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 1:18pm

Yea- I was at an opera (in the audience) and the musical director who I had nerv heard of or seen in my life jsut came up to me and asked if i would audition for the next show. It was really wierd, but I got in and so far I've done 3 shows with the Houston Grand Opera all because of that wierd incident.

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#2re: Auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 1:18pm

It has never happened to me, but I can see why he'd ask. Producers and casting agents have VERY specific visuals regarding who they want to cast- height, weight, age, eye color, on and on. You may have fit the bill perfectly.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#3re: Auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:01pm

I am not all that unique looking, pretty average. Maybe he was just flirting?

PEACE.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#4re: Auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:03pm

Maybe that's exactly what he wants.

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#5re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:11pm

omg, sueleen!! this is soooo great, and i am soooo jealous!! you have to tell us everything, i mean everything. where were you? what did you say? did you start the conversation? and omg, you totally have to keep us informed all the way through the process. i mean is it like a musical or one of those ones that just has music but in which they don't sing? are you going to sing? what are you going to sing? this is so exciting!!!

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:26pm

Um, Papa, are you MOCKING me? I just wanted to share a fun story with the people here and you just have to make fun of me. You must be one lonley and sad sad person.

For your information, we were at a memorial service for a mutual friend. We all sang his favorite song (I'm not going) and I was seated right behind this guy. After it was over he turned to me and introduced himself and asked if I would be interested in auditioning for his theatre. I told him I don't really do that and he said well you should think about it cuz I have an awesome voice.

PEACE.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#7re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:49pm

A memorial service?

Icky.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#8re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 2:52pm

What an amazing song to sing at a memorial
I'm so sorry for your loss re: auditions out of the blue?
All the best with your audition!

papalovesmambo
#9re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:00pm

you b*tch! i was trying to be supportive, but now i hope you lose your voice and throw your back out walking in the door!!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#10re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:00pm

This one time, I met a pretty prominant Broadway Producer (I won't name drop or anything) and he asked me to sing/read for him right on the spot.

He emails me every so often--but I am in college, so I can't go in for these little parts. Soon..

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:02pm

Thanks, BWstar, but I really didn't know the deceased that well. And I won't be auditioning.

{Papa don't make me block you.)

PEACE.

papalovesmambo
#12re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:06pm

go ahad, sueleen, no one cares anyway. all i was trying to do was show some enthiusiasm and you have to be like that. well just forget it, sister! i'd rather see corine get cast in something than you now!!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#13re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:23pm

Now papa, have you been off your meds again?

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

papalovesmambo
#14re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:25pm

middie, i was never on them. you know i only self medicate.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#15re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:34pm

Well first of all, I am not an actor, so Corine will probably get cast before me and why are you so f#@#ing mean?

PEACE.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#16re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:39pm

Get this, a friend of mine just called to tell me about this jerk. He makes the actors PAY HIM to be in his shows! I have never heard anything more insulting than a producer SELLING roles in a show. I have a good mind to call this MF and give him a peice of my mind. HOW INSULTING!!

Would any of you ever pay to be in a show?

PEACE.

papalovesmambo
#17re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 3:49pm

i'm not mean, i was f***ing supportive and you just totally snapped at me, so you get what you give, honey. ha ha ha, see what you get when you're mean to people, your producer turns out to be a s***!!!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

etoile
#18re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 4:52pm

Ah, SueLeen, I'm sorry that happened to you. I think you should go to the audition though. Perhaps your friend was mistaken, and what do you have to loose. I think the entire incident sounds fascinating. Think of the great story you would have to tell at your next party.

And if your friend was correct and you do have to pay, ask him what it would cost to play Reno Sweeney. I was born to play Reno Sweeney.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#19re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 5:38pm

This happened to me a few months ago-

I was in school (in the middle of class) and was called out to the main office. When I got there I was told that a person had called asking if I would like to audition for an show that had ties to EQUITY. Of course I said yes and got the lady's phone number.

Long Story Short-When I went for my audition I just had to read 1/2 of a scene and I was told I had the part if I wanted it. The producer's put a lot of trust in me(I have done musical-theatre for years but never a real drama) and the show turned out to be one of the most moving events of my life(not to mention one of the most profitable)

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#20re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/17/04 at 10:24pm

one time for a tour that never happened re: auditions out of the blue? it was going to be a big tour too.

Sueleen, im proud of you no matter what you do!!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#21re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/18/04 at 12:56pm

Thanks, Amneris. But did you mean the audition for the tour came out of the blue or that you were going to have to pay to perform?

PEACE.

CanWeTalkBroadway? Profile Photo
CanWeTalkBroadway?
#22re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/18/04 at 1:06pm

It's weird you would mention this. A couple years ago when I was modelling I met D. Scanlon of Thoroughly Modern Millie and he told me that I HAD to audition for the show. It was the weirdest thing, because I had totally given up the idea of acting even though it was my dream because nothing much was happening and well, modelling was paying the bills. I was sick of modelling though. I prefer to keep what happened next under wraps because people can be very mean here.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#23re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/18/04 at 1:14pm

Did you get the part?

PEACE.

unnaturallygreen
#24re: auditions out of the blue?
Posted: 12/18/04 at 1:46pm

why do everyone on message boards break out into a fight? papa was just being supportive and all seuleen was trying to not be made into a fool... all sueleen has to say is "sorry that i made an assumption" and instead of being REVENGEFUL and full of anger and try to throw it back into sueleen's face...papa just has to say "i understand how you could think i was making fun of you, but i really want to know how it turns out" THERE it would make life a ton easier and cause there to be LESS hate

Videos