Most annoying songs

zannafan Profile Photo
zannafan
#100re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/3/03 at 11:28am

This is the most interesting thread...I think overplayed songs are the most annoying. The only thing I can think is that the songs were good at one point or why else would people sing/play them so much. I think it's cool that everyone can come on here and share their opinions. We're all entitled.
The one song that really sticks out to me is Baltimore Crabs from Hairspray. I do have to admit that although I completely hated the song when I had only heard the cd, my opinion definitely changed when I heard the song live. In the context of the show, it is a really enjoyable song. Linda Hart was AMAZING when she say it. It is a powerful and humorous song when you get to see it live.
As far as Seasons of Love goes...I love Rent and at one point I really enjoyed that song, but at this point, unless I'm seeing the show live, I don't enjoy hearing that song. I pretty much always skip over it when I listen to the recording. It's not that it is necessarily a bad song, but it is WAY overdone. Like I said, overplaying is definitely a way for me to tire of a song. Those are just some thoughts.
Nick

A ripple on the edge can be a tidal wave; no matter what the size. Anything can be, depending how you see when you're looking at the world with brand new eyes. ---Prodigal

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#101re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/3/03 at 11:32am

I'm really not sure how any show tune could be construed as 'over played.' I mean WHERE would they be overplayed? It's not like radio touches any of this music. The only place you'll hear 'Music of the Night' is AT 'Phantom of the Opera.' Sure there are Broadway concerts and what not but I can't imagine suffering through enough of those things to get a song to 'overplayed' level in my mind.

If showtunes are getting overplayed in your life, you need to stop listening to cast albums every once in a while!

#102re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/4/03 at 4:46am

I can't believe no one said either of the suitors' songs from "Fiddler on the Roof"! "Miracle of Miracles" is possibly my least favorite showtune *ever*, closely followed by "Now I Have Everything".

I'm sure there's at least one more, but it's five a.m. and I've been working at the theatre everyday this week for at least 18 hours a day --- going to bed now. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs I'll think of more later. Until then, night night.

#103re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/4/03 at 10:31am

John Popa...
Now that is not true about "Music of the Night" - -
When the show started EVEYRONE sang it.
Barbra Striesand, Sammy Davis Jr.
It seemed that every artist wanted to cover it.
It was everywhere. (for the theater lover)
Ice Skating, PBS Specials... then it started in music boxes and the such.
Yes for a theater lover it WAS everywhere

BroadwayBaby3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby3
#104re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/7/03 at 10:41am

someone like you is AWESOME!!!

Defy Gravity!!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#105re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/8/03 at 2:04pm

Last Night of the World - Miss Saigon
Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again - Phantom of the Opera
Past the Point of No Return - Phantom of the Opera
Unsettled Scores - Whistle Down the Wind
All the Love I Have - The Beautiful Game
Don't Like You - The Beautiful Game
Mister Greed - The Life
Can't Keep it Down - Fame (possible the all-time worst)
Only in New York - Thoroughly Modern Millie
What Do the Simple Folk Do - Camelot
The Lusty Month of May - Camelot
Skip to M'Lou - Meet Me in St. Louis
I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face - My Fair Lady (zzzzzzzzz)
Positive Role Model - Closer to Heaven
Good and Evil - Jekyll and Hyde (Broadway)

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

NomoreDisenyorALW
#106re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/9/03 at 4:47pm

A couple things first just beacuse a play is populatr doesn't means it's good. I liked RENT when i was in high school but for some reason has seemed to grow out of it. The other thing is the topic:

ANything from Joesph(WHy do people like this show?)
Anything from Starlight Express (SAME QUESTION)
Allthough I adore the play "I'm wearing underwear today" is one of the wrost songs in recent memory I genarlly hate the character of Brian period.
I argee the Bailtmore crabs is annoying I aslo find "Run and Tell that" annyoing
Now I have everything may be possbily the wrost musical theater song ever, which why it usually cut from most productions of it

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#107re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/9/03 at 5:07pm

BoxOfficeJon is correct. The same happened with Send in the Clowns, I Don't Know How to Love Him and What I Did For Love in the 70s; Memory, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, and Music of the Night in the 80s; Love Changes Everything, Someone Like You, and This is the Moment in the 90s. You hear them in malls, concerts, solo albums, orchestral arrangements, figure skating, marching bands, and karaoke bars. Certain songs are memorable and then drunk people in bars with microphones or Rudy Galindo will never let you forget them.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#108re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/9/03 at 10:39pm

I can't stand Tomorrow but that may be mainly due to an aversion I have for hearing children sing. To me there is nothing more annoying than the sound of a child singing.

I also dislike most Rogers and Hammerstein songs. Almost everything from The Sound of Music grates on my nerves.

I'm surprised by some of the things listed here, not so much indivdual songs, that's a matter of perosnal taste, but entire scores. It's hard to belive that in any score a person can't find even one song tolerable. Unless, of course, it's teh entire score of The Sound Of Music.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#109 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 12/10/03 at 10:18am

God help me, I just saw that someone thinks The Impossible Dream does nothing for the plot of Man Of La Mancha. Did you ever SEE the show? It's sort of a helpful little song given the fact that the entire story is based on the dream and the quest. I can accpet taht many people may not like the song but to say it adds nothing to the story?

Jeeze, why are so many people incapable of understanding anything more complicated than Hairspray or Millie? I can only hope you're a kid. Youth would somewhat excuse you.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

LinkLarkin2
#110 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 11:37am

I dunno why so may people are naming Hairspray songs! But i suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion! My fav'rite musicals are Hairspray, Little Shop Of Horrors, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Annie!!! They are so kool!

The songs i Hate-

Grease Lightnin'- omg that song is so crap!
the entire-Annie get your gun score!
the entire- West side story score! ARRRGGGHHHH- it goes thru my head
i hate almost every thing rogers and hamersteins! but the sound of music i can tolerate!
My Fair Lady- its just crap!
Evita- need i say more!
Miss Saigon! umm- not my thing
Les Miserables- worst musical EVER!

ok so i tend to hate alot of musicals instead of just single songs! but this is only MY opinion!

In my ivory tower life was just a hostess snack- but now ive tasted chocolate and im NEVER goin back!
hAiRspRaY- rocks!

broadwaybaby221
#111 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 12:10pm

Tomorrow- Annie
Castle on a Cloud- Les Mis
I Should Tell You- Rent
Without You- Rent
Seasons of Love- Rent
Popular- Wicked

I'm actually surprised no one has even mentioned Popular from Wicked. The first thing that came to my mind when I opened this thread was that everyone was going to mention a lot of Wicked songs. When I was younger I had to sing Castle on a Cloud and I found it annoying then and still find it annoying now. The Rent songs I mentioned just get annoying.

~Sara~

BSoBW2
#112 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 12:47pm

"Old Fashioned Love Story~Wild Party. I really like wild party, but I have to skip this song, I cant stand it."

This song and Alix Korey are the only reasons I give this TWP any consideration. (I mean Julia is fine and all, let's give her some good music!)

bwaymizfit
#113 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:18pm

A lot of people have listed that they can't stand "Annie Get Your Gun." While I don't really like any of it, my personal for MOST annoying song ever is

"Who Do You Love, I Hope?"

It's just unpleasant.

SeptemberKel
#114 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:23pm

I didn't read through the whole thread, so I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned it yet, but I so can't deal with "Her Is" from The Pajama Game.

"Of course there is the castle - the ruined castle. I find it lovely. Probably because it's ruined, I suppose." - Passion

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#115 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:35pm

Anything You can Do-Annie Get Your Gun
Memory-Cats
Tomorrow-Annie

C is for Company
#116 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:53pm

Someo f the people on this thread make me laugh

Magicupoursleeves Profile Photo
Magicupoursleeves
#117 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 1:59pm

I don't like to start trouble, but is LinkLarkin2 kidding? Not liking a few of the musicals you listed is ok, but you hate every song Rodgers abd Hammerstein wrote? I think maybe you should listrn to them in context. Oh my goodness and you hate every song from My Fair Lady. ahhhh way to break my heart!

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

rocker05
#118 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:14pm

"Inner Peace" from Bring Back Birdie is REALLY annoying, I don't think I've heard a song so bad in musical theatre with the exception of "Out For Blood" from Carrie The Musical (which had the worst lyrics ever created).

rosiecabaret
#119 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:23pm

Day by Day from Godspell. Can't stand it whatsoever.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#120 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:36pm

As much as I adore Sondheim, Maria.
The Old Lady ballet from The Producers.

LinkLarkin2
#121 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:38pm

Im sorry- maybe i shud have made it clear which of the rogers and hamersteins musicals i dont like- i hate the King and I, Oklahoma, south pacific, carousel, and that they are the only ones i can remember! The sound of music is ok- but not the best bit of music ive heard! and the story line is way too similar to the King and I! but everyone has difrent tastes of music, and i just dont like that type!

But- Hairspray, Little Shop Of Horrors, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Annie are all kool! in MY opinion!

C is for Company
#122 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:48pm

Are those the only shows you think are kool?

LinkLarkin2
#123 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:55pm

umm, nope! i like RENT, Beauty and the Beast, Billy Elliot the musical, Oliver, A Chorus Line, Urinetown, Sideshow, Mary Poppins, The wedding singer- and probably loads more, but i cant remember them all! lol! : )

C is for Company
#124 re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 6/27/06 at 2:56pm

Thats good, how was Billy Elliot, I've heard mixed things about the show but have yet to hear any of the music.