I Am My Own Wife

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#0I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:38am

What are your thoughts on this show?

I just saw it tonight, WHAT A GREAT SHOW! Jeffeson Mays is unbelieveable. He really deserves his Tony.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

pab Profile Photo
pab
#1re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:41am

This was the most brilliant play and performance on Broadway last year. Jefferson Mays was incredible!

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:41am

I loved this play A LOT. Jefferson Mays is truly brilliant. I'm glad you got a chance to see it!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#3re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:42am

I think anyone who can do a monodrama that well is amazing. Monodramas are hard to do because you have to be consistant with each characters voice and/or gestures.

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

FosseBoi
#4re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:46am

Is there a site for the tour? Is it coming to atlanta?

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

FosseBoi
#5re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:51am

Found the site. Still dont know if its coming to Atl or not!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 2:12am

This play and his performance are both beyond brilliant. Now HE deserved that Tony. THAT is acting.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

More Cowbell Profile Photo
More Cowbell
#7re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 9:41am

*sobs* I can't believe I missed this show!!!

erinrebecca
#8re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 10:12am

Jeff Mays' performance and Doug Wright's writing were the two gems of last year on Broadway. The show is mesmerizing.

buddhaismymom Profile Photo
buddhaismymom
#9re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:32pm

i saw this show when i went to nyc over the summer. i went by myself bc my parents wanted to see sly fox and i refused. it was our last day and i wasnt going to miss i am my own wife. it was brilliant and jefferson was incred. it must have taken him forever to get all those characters right and i was very impressed. sometimes id forget there was only one actor out there..his characters were so good. still the best play ive seen.

"we're actors- we're the opposite of people" -Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#10re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:35pm

"I Am My Own Wife" was one of the most incredible things that I've ever seen in a theatre. Jefferson Mays was phen-frickin'-nomenal. Amazing in every sense of the word. And he's an extremely nice guy, to boot.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

tres_extraordinaire
#11re: I Am My Own Wife
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:51pm

The play was well-written and extremely well performed.
Jefferson Mayes brought down the house... he was fantastic!

Videos