Original Casts

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#0Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:07pm

How many original casts has everyone seen and the best cast you've ever seen? The biggest problem with my family and I is that we dont act on offers we get in the mail of discounted shows- especially the new ones that are coming out, and wait to late and dont get too see original casts.
When I was younger I saw the original cast of Beauty and the Beast, the Los Angeles cast of the revival if Joseph on Broadway, the second rival of Peter Pan, the original cast of Titanic, the original cast of Footloose, the original cast of Swing!, but one understudy was in- DERRICK WILLIAMS, so I was happy!, Nathan Lane was sick for my performance of The Producers, but if nobody told me, I would have gone right on believing that Brad Oscar was really him, the original cast of Saturday Night Fever, the original cast of the revival of LSH, and of course Wicked, and I was very fortunate everyone was in that night, now hearing rumors that Kristen may be sick.
But the best cast I think I ever saw, working very well together in a show was Chicago and I didnt even see Bebe or Ann Reinking. I saw Belle Callaway..if anyone ever knows if shes in a show please say something on her because she is so talented among a phenomenal cast of talents traveling from all over the nation. So whats your opinions?

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Cadriel
#1re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:22pm

Let's see...Last 5 Years, Amour, Thoroughly Modern Millie (minus two understudies), Wicked...the best probably being Wicked.

Yep yep.

-Wayne

rlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
#2re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:25pm

I saw the original casts of BRING BACK BIRDIE and LEGS DIAMOND. Do those count?

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#3re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:30pm

hmm ive seen original cast of sweet smell of success
(cuz of pre-broadway engagement), uhhh the producers (pre broadway), cant see many obc cuz i live in chicago and can only go to nyc during the summer! =( l8r!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#4re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:30pm

Bring Back Birdie!
How excellent- That only played for like 6 performances. I heard it was an awful flop, but probably would have of enjoyed, laughing the whole night away. At least you got to see Chita Rivera and Donald O' Conner right?
I still have yet to see "Millie" but am addicted to the CD and Sutton Foster's voice. She has the best Broadway voice ever. I wish I was her! Who were the understudies? I wanted to see Amour really bad and am still pissed beyond belief that I did not get to see La Boheme. I wanted to see that show so badly, Baz is my favorite director- Romeo and Juliet, my fav. movie, and kept pressuring my parents to take me, but time flies. That is the biggest regret I have of a show and of course for not seeing the new Big River. There Broadway on Broadway performance blew me away, and the deaf lad as Huck was so adorable and had such passion in his eyes that I cried just watching him. And the vocals were awesome! Too bad for Big River and La Boheme.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#5re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:42pm

Wow! quite a few, I guess. Going back to POTO(Crawford), Cats, I beleive (gotta look up the playbill), Into the Woods, The Goodbye Girl( Peters), Annie(McArdle), Sunset Blvd., Scarlet Pimpernel, J&H( Cuccioli/Evan), Civil War, Kiss Me Kate( BSM/Mazzie), Man of LaMancha, Beauty & The Beast(Mann), Aida, Mama Mia, DOTV,Lion King, Producers for starters.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#6re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:43pm

Saw the original cast of pre-Broadway "Jane Eyre" and original casts of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "La Boheme" on Broadway. Best cast in my opinion was "TMM"--Sutton and the rest were fantastic!

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Cadriel
#7re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 4:45pm

My notable Millie understudy was the lovely and talented Jessica Grove as Miss Dorothy. I think the other was for Bun Foo, don't remember the u/s name though.

-Wayne

GirlfriendFromCanada
#8re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:32pm

Since I haven't started going to shows much until a few years ago, most of my OBCs are fairly recent. Movin' Out, Urinetown, Avenue Q, La Boheme, Def Poetry Jam, the current Little Shop and the revival of Man of la Mancha. I saw the original Aida cast minus Sherie Rene Scott. ALso the original Full Monty cast minus Patrick Wilson (it was actually the last performance of the original guys and Patrick had left two weeks earlier, so Will Chase was already playing Jerry). I think that's it. Maybe Sweet Smell of Success, it was still John Lithgow, Kelly O'Hara and Brian D'Arcy James, but since I didn't really enjoy that show, I never learned if it even made it to any major cast changes. Updated On: 11/17/03 at 05:32 PM

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#9re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:37pm

How was La Boheme Kitzarina? I wish I saw it so bad- One of these days, perhaps after Christmas when I got a few bucks to spare, I'll purchase the CD.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:41pm

It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Baz Luhrman is my favorite director out today and "La Boheme" was classic Baz. The stage, lighting, and costumes were gorgeous and the talent was equally good. I'm so glad I saw it before it closed--I'd never forgive myself if I had missed it. The CD is good, but part of what made "La Boheme" so great was the visual aspects. If you want a cast album of "La Boheme," I'd recommend an opera recording with the full score.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:42pm

I wish I could have seen it. You dont know how many times the number was on the table and only a call away. I keep on kicking myself...

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:46pm

I almost didn't get to see it. We were only in NYC for 4 days, and were only planning on seeing 4 musicals. Fortunately, I talked my mom into letting me go to "La Boheme" while she went to "42nd Street." The only downer was I had 2nd row mezzanine seats with my $20 student tickets. I would've liked to have been further back so I could take in more of the visuals. But I did manage to grab some crepe paper from the parade scene to take home :)

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 5:54pm

Awesome! 2nd row mezzaine is excellent. You are up enough and back enough to take in everything, while still being pretty close. The closest seats I've ever had were for Chicago- 2nd row center orchestra and I was able to catch a rose thrown at the end during Nowadays. Still have that rose resting on my desk!

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:01pm

I meant orchestra. It's been a long day and my brain is rather fried.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:18pm

Thats alright. Yeah that is close- i get yah.

bob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
#16re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:29pm

I saw the original cast of Sweeney Todd, which still ranks as one of the best nights I've ever spent in the theater (Angela Lansbury was awesome). Also on Broadway, saw the original casts of Big, Victor Victoria, Jekyll & Hyde, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Civil War, The Full Monty, Titanic and Steel Pier (well, SP only had one cast as it closed quite early - in fact I was at the closing night, which had a great atmosphere). I've seen the original casts of a a huge number of shows in the West End - too many to mention.

Although I'm pleased to have seen shows with their original "stars" - with a few exceptions, I don't really believe it should matter what cast you see. A great show should be able to stand on its own, not rely on its stars. (Still glad I had the privilege of seeing Angela though! And the golden voiced Linda Eder in J & K. And wish I had seen Bernadette Peters in Into the Woods - and greatly looking forward to seeing her in 12 days time in Gypsy!)

THEATRE 2020: CURTAINS**** LET'S HEAR IT FOR THE GIRLS***** WICKED***** KEITH RAMSAY TAKING NOTES WITH EDWARD SECKERSON***** KAYLEIGH MCKNIGHT CONCERT***** RAGS***** ON MCQUILLAN'S HILL** DEAR EVAN HANSEN***** THE JURY***

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#17re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:31pm

Bernadette- Still havent seen her. Missed her as Annie Oakley and probably will be missing her as Mama Rose just because I've seen so many shoes recently that its killing me.

NBC
#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:41pm

When I went to the theatre sporadically in the early and mid-1990s, a few times I saw understudies in lead roles even though I was seeing the rest of the original cast. I did see the entire original cast for the Guys and Dolls revival with Peter Gallagher, Nathan Lane and Faith Prince, though, and I'm glad I caught that! I also somehow managed to convince my parents to take me to see Evita when I was young, so I saw the original cast of that, thank goodness.

Since I've been going more regularly (well, regularly might be putting it mildly), though, I've seen a lot more original casts. I did see the original cast of the revival of Chicago, luckily, but I have to agree with Elphie about Belle Calaway - one of the best interpretation of Roxie that I've seen, IMHO. Belle is the Roxie and Mama Morton standby on Broadway now, I was lucky enough to catch her when she went on as Roxie last Monday, and she was just as terrific as I remembered her to be. I would like to see her in another role someday, though, I think she is a fabulous performer.

"I cried during the Frug." - MC

twogaab2
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 9:53am

Little Night Music
On the 20th Century-w/Kahn
Pacific Overtures

3 of the most memorable

TWOGAAB
"A Class Act" will never die!

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

TEACHEROFTHEATER Profile Photo
TEACHEROFTHEATER
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 9:59am

wow, I guess it ages me to say that I have literally seen over ONE THOUSAND original casts, more than half on opening nights.

I wouldn't know where to begin.:)

Many their first New York performance in addition to opening night.

"MAY YOUR LIFE BE AS BRIGHT AS BROADWAY AT NIGHT"

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#21re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 10:08am

If you can COUNT the number of original casts you've seen you must be much younger than me. Now I REALLY feel old!

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

robyn525600
#22re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 10:51am

RENT, WICKED, tick, tick...BOOM!, LES MISERABLES, MISS SAIGON, AIDA, STARLIGHT EXPRESS, THE CIVIL WAR, JEKYLL & HYDE, TOMMY, TABOO, CRAZY FOR YOU, FOREVER PLAID, HAIRSPRAY, LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, etc . . .

The best being RENT . . . .

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away."

TTL Profile Photo
TTL
#23re: re: re: re: Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 11:14am

I saw the original companies of KISS ME KATE (Revival), and AIDA

DoubleDown11
#24Original Casts
Posted: 11/18/03 at 1:02pm

Let's see...
Rent
The Life
Jekyll and Hyde