pixeltracker

If you've been to a closing performance....

If you've been to a closing performance....

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#0If you've been to a closing performance....
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:26pm

can you offer some feedback? I'm going to WT's last show on Sunday, and I'm wondering two things:
1. Is there a more formal dress code for closings? I'm not planning to wear jeans or anything, but wasn't sure how fancy people get.
2. Do you think the cast will stop to be congratulated at the stage door, or will they be too busy heading out to a closing night party?
Thanks everybody!

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

#1re: If you've been to a closing performance....
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:29pm

I wouldn't expect people in gowns, but perhaps a few extra dresses in the audience.

I cant see why they wouldnt stop for the fans at the stage door even if they had a party.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#2re: If you've been to a closing performance....
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:31pm

I aw at taboo's closing night. People were dressed in costume as the actors. But there were alos a ton of celebrities there (including sondheim). Rosie, john Mcdaniels, and the rest of the cast were hanging out in the streets afterwards partying with the fans.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: If you've been to a closing performance....
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:32pm

I went to AIDA's closing show; there were some people dressed up, but they were obviously people who were going to be attending the party after. I wore a skirt, but that's because I usually get semi-dressed to go to shows - nothing that I wouldn't ordinarily wear. So, wear what you want. Plenty of people were dressed very casually.

And the cast did stop at the stage door. There were TONS of fans, and a lot of security (which you'll probably see at WT as well, because of Brooke) and the cast obviously wasn't as accessible as they normally were, but they were absolutely gracious and friendly.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#4Sondheim was in my row
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:39pm

Taboo is the only Broadway closing I've been to... um, I'm really not sure if it was your typical closing night. Party in the street!

My only guess is it wouldn't be as formal as opening night, since a good part of the audience could be tourists who don't know it's closing. These days it really seems like it's a matter of personal preference.

Mimi Imfurst
#5Sondheim was in my row
Posted: 1/27/05 at 2:47pm

I also went to Taboo's closing night. WOW what a night, it ws AMAZING... total party in the street, and then later across the street. The post party was really bitter sweet. :) I wouldnt say people were dressed up in the costumes of the characters (or actors) just lots of fabulous freaks. I'll post a pic of what I wore later.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Stagedoor2
#6Barbara Walters was in my row
Posted: 1/27/05 at 3:09pm

I was at the closing show of "The Boy from Oz" and I didn't really notice people dressing all that much better than they normally do -- Matt Damon had on jeans with a sloppy untucked shirt.

I can't comment on the stage door because I didn't stop.

Enjoy the last show!

JaYdOgSoN
#7final performance
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:07pm

I was at "After the Fall" durring its final performance. It wasnt anything special, it wasnt even sold out. There were a few people at the stage door, every one signed.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8final performance
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:20pm

I've been to several closing performances-"The Frogs", "The Boy from OZ", "Laugh Whore", "Gypsy", "Private Lives"-and it is very similar to a normal performance. The only difference is that there won't be a performance the next day.

I'm going to the closing performance of "Pacific Overtures" on Sunday, and I can't wait.

#9final performance
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:23pm

it really depends on the show. Rocky Horror's closing night was nothing like Millie's closing night.

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#10final performance
Posted: 1/27/05 at 4:41pm

I'm going to WT on Sunday too. I don't think it's going to be a huge deal, but there has been security at the stage dorr since Brooke joined, so perhaps there will be more.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11final performance
Posted: 1/27/05 at 5:29pm

I attended closing performances of Assassins, 1776, and The Beautiful Game. No especially fancy dress or anything. I didn't hang around to greet the cast. The only extraordinary thing I witnessed was Andrew Lloyd Webber sitting a few rows behind me at Beautiful Game.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

TheOneAndOnly
#12attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 5:30pm

believe me, even for a closing performance..jeans are totally acceptable. you wouldn't believe the things some people wear..in fact, MANY people wear to theaters on a regular basis. jeans will not look out of place anywhere except an opening night.

even for nice nights out like benefits, etc...jeans, if paired with the proper top are totally acceptable. maybe this isn't the case in the midwest, but in NY it's all good.

:)

jo
#13attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 6:08pm

I was at the closing show for The Boy From Oz and was seated on second row. There were quite a number who were dressed more formally than casual clothes ( Matt Damon was very casual but Barbara Walters for whom Matt and Hugh performed the lap dance onstage was her usual elegant self)...so were other celebrities whom I spotted ( Barbara Cook, Nancy Sinatra, Carole Bayer Sager) and other people sitting close to the front. Some men wore suits ( including Matt and Hugh's common agent, Patrick Whitesell; ditto for Joel Grey) but some were more casual. A number of the female audience membes came in suits while some wore OZ-related apparel or more casual clothes. As it was a matinee, I guess it was a mix of both formal and casual attire.

Hugh even signed some stuff before he waved goodbye from the step of his SUV...It was a mob scene at the stagedoor when Hugh was still there so it was difficult to see if other cast members were also signing before leaving for the party.

Updated On: 1/27/05 at 06:08 PM

melissa errico fan
#14attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 7:54pm

Ah, you're taking me back! My wife and I were in the same row as Barbara Cook. As we were getting into our seats, I told her how much I loved her and how wonderful she was. She is one of the kindest, sweetest women I've ever met. She even signed by playbill, even though she wasn't in the show.

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#15attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 8:12pm

I attended the closing performance of "Night Mother". It was pretty empty -- not surprising but rather saddening. Wore jeans and a decent shirt and I certainly didn't look out of place. The performance was exhilirating -- made me sad to see it go so soon. [Although I cannot say that I agree with some of Edie Falco's choices]

Phanfare Profile Photo
Phanfare
#16attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:03pm

I was at the closing of Dracula....there were some people in costume and all the rest were basically in a nice pair of jeans and a nice shirt- nothing too formal. All the actor's came out afterwards for pics/autographs, almost like it was just another regular performance

Dracula 1/2~ I was born to love you and to need you and to let you go free...

melissa errico fan
#17attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:20pm

I wore a nice pair of Paul Smith jeans and a Lacoste shirt to the closing performance of "Laugh Whore".

Up In Won
#18attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:28pm

I went to the closing night of Little Shop (Yeah, I know.) and wore a skirt and a simple black shirt. Normally, I just wear a nice pair of dorgs, but I felt like being festive, I suppose.

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

melissa errico fan
#19attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:33pm

The theatre really doesn't have a dress code, no matter what anybody says. They can't kick you out for being casual. Just don't go in sweats or anything.

Yankeefan007
#20attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:43pm

Yeah....it's not 1950. the theater is casual now.

melissa errico fan
#21attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:49pm

Casual but neat

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#22attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:56pm

I was at rocky's first closing and taboo's. Both were expericence i'd never forget.

melissa errico fan
#23attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:03pm

Razz-

Did you attend the 3pm matinee or the Actor's Benefit?

focusingonmoviesmatt Profile Photo
focusingonmoviesmatt
#24attire
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:13pm

Night mother was up at tkts for its closing performance.

Videos