Favorite Costumes

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#0Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:10pm

There's probably a few posts on this, but it's due time for another. What show holds your favorite costumes? I'm going to have to say Wicked. Not necessarily the leads, but the ensemble's are SO amazing.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#1re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:30pm

I loved the emcees costume in cabaret.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#2re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:31pm

tie between chicago and hairspray. oh, that talented william ivey long!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Mythus
#3re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:33pm

William Ivey Long is a god. One of my favorite costumes - if not my favorite completely - is the Chrysler dress from The Producers. That was my Halloween costume.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#4re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:35pm

chicago... duh
hairspray
glinda's dress (opening, closing)
the red death head in phantom... love it :P!

::bust a move::

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#5re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:36pm

Any thing that William Ivey Long has touched. re: Favorite Costumes

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#6re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:37pm

Phantom of the Opera. All the costumes are gorgeous. They remind me of the ones you see in grand opera.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Elizabeth_DeBris
#7re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:43pm

-I second the Grand Duchess Anastasia/Chrysler Building (tomato/tomahto) dress! Indeed, William Ivey Long IS a god.

-A couple of the costumes for the new La Cage are stunning.

-Anna's dresses in The King and I... but, that might just be my fascination with hoop skirts talking.

-Most, if not all, of the costumes that have appeared in Forbidden Broadway ("Annie," and "Elphaba's" dress in Defying Chenowith come to mind).

EDIT: Ah, how could I forget the Red Death costume?
Updated On: 1/31/05 at 05:43 PM

ashley0139
#8re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:45pm

Not my favorite show but Beauty and the Beast's costumes (and sets) are INCREDIBLE!! Some of the coolest I have ever seen!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:48pm

Instead of getting down to specific costumes, I'll say I've liked the ones in Phantom of the Opera, the Producers, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and Beauty and the Beast. I haven't seen Wicked, but from the pictures I've seen, they have wonderful costumes, especially for Glinda and Elphaba.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#10re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:52pm

Definitley Phantom, because well, the half mask is so kick ass and everything is so classy, and nice.

Hairspray- I was Tracy for two Halloween's, and also for "Occupation day" at my school.

Chicago, obviously.

DEFINITLEY LION KING! Some of those ideas are really amazing.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#11re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:54pm

oh yeah the lion king! I was very happy with those costumes.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

BudFrump23 Profile Photo
BudFrump23
#12re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 5:59pm

I love the green Emerald City costumes in Wicked. Also, Edna and Tracy's matching dresses in Welcome to the 60's. Finally, the costumes of La Cagelles at the end of the show (silver, lots of leg...)

I'm as jumpy as a virgin at a prison rodeo!

jjdude2000
#13re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:05pm

All of the phantom costumes are stunningly beautiful (IMO - red death, etc.), and the wicked ones so wonderfully fit with the show. The asymmetry of most of the costumes are so right for Oz.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

Joshua488
#14re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:07pm

My mother, who has her own fashion line after attending Fashion Institute of Technology with Calvin Klein many years ago, fell in love with the costumes from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and still vividly describes them to this day. She actually had the opportunity to work in costuming for the national tour of the production, but she turned it down to raise me and my siblings. So now when I see the show on Wednesday, I will be looking at each costume in great detail!!

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#15re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:09pm

Bernadette's Act 2 Dress in Into the Woods - WOW
Millie's Gimme Gimme Dress - stunning
Elphaba's Act 2 dress - GORGEOUS
Lion King- EVERYTHING IS PHENOMENAL!!!

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#16re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:09pm

speaking of the asymmetry, i seriously just realized about 2 weeks ago that glinda's thank goodness costume has 1 sleeve.... wow... i'm so dumb!

::bust a move::

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:14pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie (Fav. Costume=Gimmie Gimme dress)
Wicked (Elphie's 2nd act dress, Galindas 1st dress)
Les Miz (Valjean and Javert)
The Phantom of the Opera (The Masquerade costumes)
The Lion King (Everything :))
Caroline, Or Change (The Moon, anyone?!?! WOW!!!!)

The list goes onnnnn....

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#18re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:14pm

Joshua -
Didn't you say on another thread that you had tickets up close for PHANTOM? I hope you do. This is one musical that can really be appreciated more from up close. The costumes are the main reason for that.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

stagestar130 Profile Photo
stagestar130
#19re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:15pm

The costumes for Les Cagelles in La Cage are amazing. Millie's "gimmie gimmie" dress also. The costumes for the Wicked ensemble when they're all green and most of Glinda's dresses are awesome.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#20re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:20pm

La Cage
Phantom
Millie
Wicked

Some of the "Taboo" costumes were wild.

And here's a costume question for you guys...in the original production of "Sunday in ther Park...", how did Dot's dress in the opening manage to open and close behind her?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#21re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:35pm

Huge contrast here but I love Chicago's costumes and Aida.
Simple, Sleek Sophistication with one, and bright, vivid colors with the other.

Mythus
#22re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 6:48pm

Little_sally - I always assumed it was mechanical and operated by remote. I don't really know how it works, though.

stagestar130 Profile Photo
stagestar130
#23re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:04pm

Oh yea! I forgot about the Aida costumes!

DivaMommy
#24re: Favorite Costumes
Posted: 1/31/05 at 7:07pm

I LOVE COSTUMES! In fact, I am designing for a production of Cinderella right now! It's a blast!

My fav's - Into The Woods (OBC) - I don't think I could ever design that show because those costumes are toooooo perfect - totally William Ivey Long shows (except the revival of LSOH - not to my liking) - especially How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying.

Elphaba's act 2 dress is truly stunning!

...and your children start to leave you from the moment they are born.

Videos