News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

CDs for a newbie

CatatonicBohoGirl Profile Photo
CatatonicBohoGirl
#0CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:18pm

Hey everyone! I'm so glad to be part of the community :). Anyway, one of my friends is slightly interested in musical theatre, so for her birthday, I was going to get her a cast album. The only problem is that I can't decide wich CDs would be best for someone who's new to musical theatre. Can you please help me by suggesting some?

"I would dance in the moon; pale as a fading star that quickly falls from veiw-" Lucy, Dracul

Chrysanthemum62001
#1re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:24pm

A Chorus Line, Aida, Cabaret, Hairspray, Avenue Q, Dreamgirls, Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, Wicked, Rent, Evita, or Urinetown. Just a few... But, I could go on listing stuff for hours. Crap, I forgot Taboo...

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
Updated On: 2/14/05 at 09:24 PM

thegoodseed Profile Photo
thegoodseed
#2re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:30pm

When I was first getting into musical theater, the OBCs of Rent, Wicked, Avenue Q, and Les Miserables were the first CDs I got, but I think it kind of depends on the person. All the CDs that were mentioned by Chrysanthemum are great starters. I personally would go with Rent, Wicked, Avenue Q, Les Miserables, or maybe something that they're familiar with, like if they've seen the Phantom of the Opera movie you could get them the POTO OBC. It really depends. I would pick Rent, but this is coming from a big renthead.

The music ignites the night with passion and fire. The narration crackles and pops with incendiary wit.- Rent My name is Miranda, and I have a Godspell problem.

BSoBW2
#3re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:31pm

Rent, it isn't as "musical" as other recordings...

ashley0139
#4re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:33pm

I would personally think Les Miz or Phantom. Classics. Or maybe something really fun that you can dance to... like Hairspray. Not a classic but very fun and reminiscent of what much of the music is like in theatre right now.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:35pm

LES MIS and PHANTOM aren't classics....

And for someone that has only a slight interest in musical theatre isn't going to be sucked in by PHANTOM, AVENUE Q (terrible music), GODSPELL, or a number of the other shows mentioned above. For someone barely interested in theatre, you need something like HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, RENT, WICKED, THE LAST 5 YEARS, TICK TICK BOOM, etc. to spark their interest, in my opnion.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#6re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:36pm

I say Rent or Wicked, even...

Maybe Avenue Q - although of late, I have been sick of it!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#7re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:39pm

i say wicked. it attracts people!!!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#8re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:40pm

I'm also saying RENT. It's what got me obsessed with theatre, and I know a bunch of people who had RENT as their first recording, and it made them explore recordings more.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:54pm

RENT
REEFER MADNESS
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Updated On: 2/14/05 at 09:54 PM

CatatonicBohoGirl Profile Photo
CatatonicBohoGirl
#10re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:56pm

What's Reefer Madness about?

"I would dance in the moon; pale as a fading star that quickly falls from veiw-" Lucy, Dracul

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:59pm

Immerse your friend in the classics:

Show Boat
Gypsy
Kiss Me, Kate
Anything Goes
The Music Man
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (I'm still on a high from seeing it last night)

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:00pm

well, drugs really... re: CDs for a newbie you can click my siggy to see the trialer for the new movie, the soundtrack will be out soon, but I suggest the original L.A. cast recording instead. Updated On: 2/14/05 at 10:00 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:01pm

Rent or Les Miserables

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

timote316
#14re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:45pm

CATS, I just watched the trailer, and I'm now angry I don't get Showtime...

Wicked has to be one you get. Otherwise, I echo what everyone else has said.

apdarcey
#15re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/14/05 at 11:39pm

avenue q or hairspray are the starters. rent is not for beginners (maybe the highlights version, but i still think no). those two are what people will find appealing and then they will delve deeper in collections

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#16re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:11am

OK this is coming from a HUGE RENThead but I'd have to go with RENT. I disagree that it's not for beginners. On the contrary, it's pretty much what got me started with loving musical theatre. I think anyone (Even a non-broadway fan) can find deep connections and appeal in RENT. Wicked might also be a good choice. I say this because those are the two recordings that pretty much got me hooked for good.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

RentBoy86
#17re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:31am

Hey, I'm new to the board and to the whole website, but I can't get enough of it. Very addicted...
i'm a theater major in college, but just recently getting into musical theater hardcore.
The first show that i saw and fell in love with was Rent. Just loved it - hands down the best musical ever made - in my opinion.
My Top 5 Cds:
Rent
Tick, tick...boom
Bare [even though i haven't really seen the show or heard the
entire show]
Little Shop of Horrors - Hunter Foster rocks
The Full Monty

Runner-ups: The Last 5 Years, Taboo, Songs for a New World...

Dreamcatcher
#18re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:34am

Welcome RentBoy86! Hope you enjoy your time here! Post away, say what you want and have fun! re: CDs for a newbie

Oh yeah, Definitly Little Shop of Horrors. Great GREAT musical!

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

FOCI Profile Photo
FOCI
#19re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:39am

If he/she is not that into the musical theatre genre-I'm gonna go with RENT. Trust me, that is the only musical I have ever heard people who self-proclaimedly don't like musicals listen to. Plus, people won't think it's like a weird cd to own.

If they have expressed interest in musical theatre-then what everyone else said. Who really knows though people have such different tastes?

"I guess she is one very confident girl who feels if you see it, it shall be. I hope she sees a room with a piano player and a bunch of scary middle-aged queens sitting behind a table, talking to each other as she auditions!!" -Marc Shaiman on Kelly Osbourne in Hairspray

Dreamcatcher
#20re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:41am

I agree, my friend who hates musical theatre is a RENT obsessive/compulsive extrordinaire. Maybe its because I'm one as well, but I think its pretty hard for someone to not like RENT a little bit or more.

WhiteRabbit Profile Photo
WhiteRabbit
#21re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:55am

Wicked or Rent. I'm gonna go with Wicked though. It is what got some friends of mine into musical theatre... If they are totally new to musical theatre I'd go with Rent, it is more mainstream sounding.

I most definitely have issues with my word choices on this board.

Dreamcatcher
#22re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:57am

I dont know if I'd call the sound of RENT mainstream...but that's just me. All in all, LSoH, RENT and Wicked for your friend. Those will, without a doubt, get them hooked on musical theatre for life.

WhiteRabbit Profile Photo
WhiteRabbit
#23re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 1:02am

By mainstream I meant Rent is more pop/rock.

I most definitely have issues with my word choices on this board.

Dreamcatcher
#24re: CDs for a newbie
Posted: 2/15/05 at 1:02am

ahh ok I see. re: CDs for a newbie

Videos