pixeltracker

Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut

Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#0Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:52am

Wife and I saw it from 4th row center orch last night (perfect seats - front row is too close, you would be looking up too much). As my wife said, she was pleasantly suprised. It was a thouroghly enjoyable experience, that I heartily recommend. Christina puts her heart and soul into this, and it shows. I saw NO indication that her foot had been broken, and Dennis O'Hare bent down and kissed it during the bows.

I especially liked the closet scene and the elevator scene, plus that "Rich Man's Frug" dance.

Christinas mom was sitting at the end of our row (we were in D 107-10Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut, lots of people congratulating her afterwards. Also noticed MacKenzie (sp) Phillips sitting a few seats over... Lots of camera guys coming down the aisle taking pictures at the bows.

Again Christina, welcome to Broadway!!

Mark2
#1re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:02am

I love Christina. Only the best girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:16am

It's a show just to go and enjoy - no need to think think think - just enjoy. If you are going to bash it, go see it first before you do. You may change your mind... (Does Reidel HAVE a mind?)

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:44am

re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#4re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:48am

What's with all of this trashing of Sweet Charity's book, and the "no need to think" crap. I actually think that the show has a lot to say, in terms of being alone, wanting something so bad and being stuck in a rut because of your social-economical status. All of this is captured beautifully in Fosse's film.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#5re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:52am

Bobbybubby - I agree completely.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:55am

I think that any fluff that the show may currently possess lies in the production team. Even the idea of the new ending horrifies me.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#7re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 11:01am

I don't think it's fluff, but compared to "The Pillowman" (which I saw Saturday night), it's just something to sit back and enjoy. And I DID enjoy it! The "think think think" comment was towards people who think TOOOO much about the show rather than enjoy it for what it is - entertainment!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#8re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 12:43pm

Forgot to mention - neither of us liked the ending.....

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 12:51pm

The new ending sounds lame.

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#10re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/19/05 at 1:47pm

i just have to say, christina applegate has proven herself worthy to open a broadway show. she may have been hired as stunt casting, but christina has shown her love for broadway and i have so much respect for her and her determination. Anyone who has put as much heart and soul in a show as she has deserves an amazing opening night on broadway. i wish her nothing but the best!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#11re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/20/05 at 6:33am

I agree - and with the weak women's leading actress Tony field, I think she has a chance for a nomination (although I think Sutoon will probably win)....

wink
#12re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/20/05 at 6:51am

What a quick recovery from a bone that was so badly broken in her foot she could her it "pop" (that must be the first ever for a closed fracture).
Updated On: 4/20/05 at 06:51 AM

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#13re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/20/05 at 7:48am

Even if she's not recovered, she hid it well!

I didn't see her swinging from any lampposts though - isn't that when she broke it? Maybe changed that scene?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#14re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 8:23am

Anybody else see this since Monday?

I've decided that after seeing it, people are right, she is Charity Hope Valentine... Perfect for the part.

samarag1
#15re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 10:48am

ok- i saw the show yesterday (wed) mat. it is not fair to comment on christina's performance- because she is clearly still hurt! she is wearing a cast under her boot- i hear that she danced the whole show on monday, but yesterday- she sat though some of the dances and watched- i know a lot was on her to come back, but why would she do permanent damage to her foot? she is clearly still in pain and was limping at times- any thoughts?

magicmanst
#16re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 10:56am

She must have been under tremendous pressure...The show didn't sell many tickets with Charlotte, they needed her in ASAP~

As far as the ending goes, there's no way you can tell me the fairy godmother ending is even remotely decent! The original ending is quite possibly THE worst final minutes of any show at all. The new ending, while lacking that "oomph" to end a show, sure beats a fairy godmother flying down and telling Charity tomorrow will be better.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#17re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:30am

What dances did she sit out of?

I still don't like the ending.

samarag1
#18re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 11:39am

There's gotta be something better than this!

then she danced in parts of other numbers and it looked like she would have danced more in others- its just hard to tell because this was my 1st time seeing it! But it was very akward- i also feel (and this is just a feeling) she didnt dance "everything" in brass band- IDK

Aphexis Profile Photo
Aphexis
#19re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:11pm

Saw the show last night and I have to tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I could tell from the second Christina came out how much she wanted to be up there...and I can be somewhat of a pessimist when it comes to "celebrities" and shows in general, but I was bowled over. The cast is superb and I was thinking about possible nominees for lead actress and I have to tell you that I think she might have a good chance at a win as well as the show as a whole for Best Revival. I'm heading back in a week...but for all those who think it's going to be terrible (like I thought), Go and prove yourself wrong!

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#20re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 12:22pm

I don't think it's possible for any woman... broken bones or not... to take the Tony away from Victoria Clark. I saw both performances in Chicago and as sweet as Christina is... Victoria Clark was... um... every positive adjective I can think of.

KC

Jesus saves. I spend.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#21re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:05pm

Christina was great, and has a great story too! And working under adverse conditions! Tony people love that. Didn't see Victoria, so can't comment on her.

Aphexis Profile Photo
Aphexis
#22re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:10pm

I did see Light in the Piazza...twice. Victoria Clark did a very nice job and maybe I was more impressed with Christina because I wasn't expecting much, but she works her butt off and all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if she was heavily considered. KJisgroovy - it will be a close one!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#23re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:24pm

I'll be rooting for Christina after seeing her perform.

Chrysanthemum62001
#24re: Sweet Charity - a quick review of Christinas debut
Posted: 4/21/05 at 1:32pm

I wanted to love this show so badly. I can't describe it, but the show is just missing something. I'm not sure what it is. It has energy, it has a lovable cast, it has bright costumes.... Ideally, it has it all. But, it just ends up flat. I tried to put my finger on it, and couldn't figure it out. I don't know why it doesn't work.

I had never seen a production of this show until yesterday, nor have I seen the movie. Here's one question I kept asking.... Why don't they hint more towards Oscar being gay?

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Videos