Why does Elphie melt???

PeteG Profile Photo
PeteG
#0Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:20pm

OK... I know you people have a habbit of going crazy when people post about Wicked.... but here I go....

I've seen Wicked, and maybe I'm just blacking one part out... but why can't Elphaba get wet? She "melts" at the end, but in the first act, when shes out in the rain, Madame Morrible had a line that was something like "We don't want you to get wet..."

Someone explain!!!!

What good is sitting alone in your room......

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:20pm

Cuz she's so WIKUD.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

#2re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:22pm

Its never explained in the show but in the book they explain that she has is allegic to water... But they put it in the show because like in the movie and book a bucket of water kills the Wicked Witch... She's allegic to water. Plain and simple.

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#3re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:22pm

In the book she is allergic to water...in the musical I think that it is a rumor because so many people think so many odd thinks about Elphie since she is green

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#4re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:23pm

if you were really wwatching you would know...(SPOILER) she doesnt melt!!!!
and the madame morrible line was supposed to be funny

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

#5re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:24pm

To quote him---

She "melts" at the end

#6re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:26pm

I thought that the scene in the rain was a rather elegant way to foreshadow that Elphaba WOULDN'T be melted by water. For all the slams the book has taken, that was once nice piece of writing.

I think maybe you need to go see Wicked again.

WickedShopofQ
#7re: Why does Elphie melt???
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:27pm

SPOILER
if im not mistaken, doesnt Elphie run off with fiyero at the end.
and i quote...
"they can never know"
hello trap door injuries ring a bell????

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#8re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:31pm

In the show, the "allergy" to water is a rumor. In fact, she is standing out in the rain when she is singing I'm Not That Girl and Madame Morrible comes out carrying an umbrella. I thought it was an error in the show until I saw the end when she in fact doesn't melt.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

DefyingPopular
#9re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:39pm

actually i think sequel was the reason for that line.

Feodor Sverdlov
#10re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:43pm

I think I have red somewhere that Elphaba is so bad and evil that she can only be destroyed by something pure or clean: which is the water for example.

scooter3843

#11re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:44pm

You mean a sequel musical to WICKED---- I know there is gonna be a sequel to the book out soon about Elphaba's son and his life I would assume. But a second Oz musical... I would go for it... but it would prolly have to be amazing just like Wicked.

sassypanz
#12re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:50pm

Yeah Whenever she crys, the tears burn her face.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#13re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:50pm

The problem with the melting reference is that it's clearly a wink to the movie and the original rather than any kind of exposition. NO one ever explains that they think she has any kind of reaction to water and, aside from that one little piece of "schtick," the water allergy is never mentioned again until the "death." I think it's indicative of a bit of faulty writing there, for all I think Winnie did an interesting and occasionally successful job of adapting the book into a musical.

#14re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 4:55pm

I agree. Winnie did a nice job.

WickedShopofQ
#15re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:02pm

"i hear her soul is so unclean, pure water can melt her"
~Thank Goodness

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#16re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:05pm

The "water allergy" is mentioned...In thank goodness someone sings I hear her soul is so unclean pure water can melt her, however in the play it is just a rumor Fiyero even remarks to the above line saying how its a crazy rumor that water can melt her or something along those lines, in the book it is a true allergy, she bathes in oil instead of water and spends her whole childhood avoiding water and water does eventually melt her if i remember correctly

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

PennyLou Profile Photo
PennyLou
#17re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:13pm

I think it's just to make people laugh, but in the context of the show she's ok in the rain but she is told don't get wet just like someone would say to a normal person.. if I was in the ran and was talking to someone I would let them share my umbrella as well.. then later on in the story Feyro hears the roomer and is shocked by it (SPOILER) but then they use it to get away

Grace: My love for you is like this scar (points to elbow) ulgy but permanent!

#18re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:13pm

Boy hate to jump into this without novel in hand, but (and do I need to say SPOILER ALERT) we do all realize that in the stage musical, playing now at the Gershwin, Elphaba does not die at the end? Because the question and some responses make me think that people are confused about that. Musical=Elphaba NOT dead at the end!

As far as the book goes, I was under the impression that she was not melted at the end. I'd want to re read it make sure, but doesn't she get hit with the water and is so outraged by the injustice of it all, take off into hiding? There is that reference that one day she will be back from wherever she is hiding: "Did she ever come back? Not yet...." or words to that effect.....

WickedShopofQ
#19re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:22pm

i guess we will find out when the sequel to the book comes out about her son. but how would she of had a son if she did melt? ureka! ive solved it. she doesnt melt in the musical nor the book

thank you

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#20re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:25pm

She melts in the book, I assure you :)

Her son is born about midway into the book, after they find out about her affair with Fiyero.

This is my signature.

#21re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:31pm

Yeah he's the boy who follows her around in the book.

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#22re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 5:38pm

all i have to say is when i saw it, it kinda looked like the musical had fiyero and elphie plan it...i mean he is the only one who knows about her being alive at the end, and he gets so mad at the rumors of her being able to be melted by water. I kinda infered that they planned it so the wouldn't have to worry about the townspeople anymore.

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#23re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 6:02pm

One: after the second act starts the show and the book go down totaly different paths, I mean in the book Elphie lives with Fiyeros wife for a number of years after Fiyero dies ( I think its been a while since I read it)

and I'll say it again I read the book a while back and don't remember evey detail so I cant reply to everything that I think sounds wrong on here

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#24re: Why does Elphie melt??? SPOILER
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:18pm

I heard her soul
Is so UNCLEAN
Pure WATER can melt her...

UNCLEAN - WATER

Videos