Heart-broken Over Cyndi

rcalhoun
#0Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:11am

I don't think I can take it. Cyndi Lauper deserved the role in Sweeney Todd. Why would Patti do this to Cyndi??? she's singing Cyndi's Time After Time song in her shows, and then she turns around and takes the role from her. It infuriates me..

I wanted to see someone new and fresh in the role, and Cyndi Lauper would have done wonders w/it. I'm giving up on broadway for good..

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:14am

Ummm...I don't think Patti did anything to Cyndi. The producers decide who they cast. I'm sure she didn't walk in and say:

"Hey, I'm better than Cyndi and I'm an evil b*tch, so I'm taking the role from her."

Patti had what they want and she won the role fair and square. Plus, it's not even official yet.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Chrysanthemum62001
#2re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:15am

Oh get over it. They've been trying to get Patti all along.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

rcalhoun
#3re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:18am

Then why did so many newspapers make a big thing about Cyndi 'blowing the producers away' at her audition, and all the news stories about her likely getting the part? Then all of the sudden Patti is announced as the probable star.

I used to like Patti Lupone, especially on "life Goes on." She could have turned the role down and let someone else have a shot at it.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#4re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:19am

Why? She wants to get paid like any other actress.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

kjklo
#5re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:25am

The news stories were most likely plants by Lauper's PR people. Be realistic. No one turns down parts that they want, to give others "a shot."
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 12:25 AM

rcalhoun
#6re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:38am

Cyndi has given Patti permission to sing "Time After Time"(a song that Cyndi wrote), in her recent shows.

I still think it's pretty lousy.

I can also assure you, it wasn't Cyndi's PR people who spread the gossip.
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 12:38 AM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:49am

How can you assure it?

#8re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:53am

me too...kinda. Cyndi would have looked MUCH better in the mini skirt.

rcalhoun
#9re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:56am

Because I'm a regular visitor to Cyndilauper.com, and there has always been an issue with Cyndi's staff, PR people, whatever you want to call it, not informing the fans nearly enough. That's always been the complaint. We've usually gotten news about any special events thru other fans. If there is DEFINITE confirmation re some major event, Cyndi will then give the go-ahead to have it officially posted at her site. But ONLY after it's been confirmed.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#10re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:56am

Well, perhaps Cyndi can take over the role, when Patti leaves, I think the show will last that long......

#11re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:08am

I think the show will get criticaly panned, and not last more than a couple months. This production is not for people who have never seen it. Its way hard to follow.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#12re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:30am

Theaterguy -- Ben Brantley has already given the show a rave review in the NY TIMES. That said, its always possible they could screw up everything that made the show a magical experience in the theatre in London in the transfer to NYC.

I for one, agree that Lauper seems a better choice for the eccentricity of this production.

#13re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 1:37am

yeah, agreed about Cyndi. At first I thought the idea was TERRIBLE, but the more I thought about it, Cyndi really would have fit nicly. I dont think a conventional star works in this production.

I am NOT a Cerveris fan, but In this production, I think he'll fit nicly.

rcalhoun
#14re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 7:24am

My gut feeling tells me the show will have a short-run also.

Cyndi would have brought the proper edginess and eccentricity to the role. She's got a legion of fans as well(young and old), and could of really attracted big crowds to this production.

They're going to regret it.

Updated On: 4/28/05 at 07:24 AM

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#15re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 7:37am

Cyndi would've been a breathe of fresh air to Broadway and given this role some substance. I think Patti is so overated...I think I'll sit in the barber chair for this show.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#16re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 7:42am

She's got a legion of fans as well(young and old), and could of really attracted big crowds to this production.

And of course, nobody knows who Patti Lupone is at all.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

shameless Profile Photo
shameless
#17re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:46am

If it's true, I don't blame Patti at all, but I would've loved to see Cyndi.

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be enbered with your old nonsense. ~ Emerson

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#18re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:56am

For what it's worth, I would have made a trip to NY just to see Cyndi. I'm no fan of Patti's so I'll probably be missing this one.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Nokros
#19re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:18am

It's not about Patti stealing the role for herself or not giving it to Cyndi. It's NOT PERSONAL. It's about getting work, getting paid. This is a job, and an audition is like an interview. You don't expect anyone to just give someone else their job - it's the same situation.

CurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
#20re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:21am

I loath Patti Lupone. I was planning on seeing with Cyndi. I'll pass on Ms. Lupone, thank you very much.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#21re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 10:16am

and I will fly in from the Coast just for it!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#22re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 11:17am

I LOVE Cyndi and have been a big fan for years. I also have a background in PR. That said, the rumors of Cyndi doing well in an audition for Sweeney could very well be circulated by her PR people. It gets her name out there and creates the buzz that she is interested in working on Bway and there is audience that would buy tickets to see her. So maybe we *will* see Cyndi in a show sometime - it just won't be Sweeney.

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#23re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:44pm

I love Cyndi Lauper, but for a classic Broadway Show, they should have a classic Broadway performer. Though honestly, I would see it with either one of them in it.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#24re: Heart-broken Over Cyndi
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:47pm

Theaterbaby -- this isn't a classic Broadway production. It's an avant garde abstract presentational experimental version of SWEENEY TODD. Nothing traditional about it. At all. In that sense, Lauper made more casting sense than LuPone.

Videos