pixeltracker

2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???- Page 5

2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???

glam
#100re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:16pm

This is unbelievable.
Sara Ramirez was not nominated?
Wow. It's like these Broadway award shows get deeper and deeper into dirty politics every year!
Sara Ramirez overrated? Now I've heard it all.
Comedy is hard. That woman worked hard developing that role amongst a Male-Dominated cast. Nothing against the men, that's for sure, just pointing out the challenge she was faced with and how she shined out %100!
What a hard working and fantastic performer...
¡Viva la Sara Ramirez!

-glam girl
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 02:16 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#101re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:18pm

That's what I'm saying, Bobby. re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions??? He CAN do it because he has all of that talent, but it's not the right material for him to be finding a perfect fit. I don't think that all "traditional" musical theatre is the wrong route for him - which also depends on how you define more traditional, really. I mean, he does Sondheim well, which is far more "traditional" than something like Taboo or Tick, Tick... BOOM! or anything pop-ish. Then there's Cabaret - that's "traditional." I guess the key to the problem with him in Chitty is the fluff factor, and this "family-friendly" business. He can act like the oddball, sing and dance until the proverbial cows come home, but this fatherly, toned down thing that completely lacks any edge - aside from what he's desperately trying to squeeze in there- isn't his strong suit. That's just not him.

So in short, I think we're agreeing. re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/28/05 at 02:18 PM

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#102re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:18pm

As for the Matt Morrison nom, he IS the leading man in that show even if his role is not the largest one in the show. I thought his performance was beautiful and showed off a glorious voice. He was really great and I would love to see him be nominated for and win the supporting actor Tony Award. I fear that if he is nominated for a leading actor Tony, he will have strong competition from Butz.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#103re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:20pm

I think Raul thrives when he is able to take risks. And I imagine and can almost guarantee, that the director of Chitty did not allow him to take such risks.

luvtheEmcee
#104re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:22pm

I don't know too much about Chitty's director, but the role in and of itself is sort of a risk for him, because it's so different, and subdued in comparison to the drag queens and the crazy people he's played lately. There's a certain bitchy, rough-around-the-edges thing about Raúl as an actor, and the part has almost none of it. I guess every actor, no matter how brilliant, has his limits.

Updated On: 4/28/05 at 02:22 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#105re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:23pm

For Morrison's sake, he should be nominated in the Featured category come Tony time. That is, if he wants to have a chance of winning. Now that Pierce and Azaria are eligible for Lead, he has a greater chance in the feature category.

Princeton78
#106re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:24pm

Right. Personally, I'd say that in the featured category, Morrison's only competition would be from "The Marc."

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#107re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:26pm

His strongest competition in the featured category is likely to come from the Spelling Bee boys and from Christian Borle, who would certainly gain momentum by winning this Drama Desk.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#108re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:28pm

And as there are only 5 slots at the Tony noms, it could end up squeezing Kudisch out of a nomination altogether. Especially if Chitty opens to bad reviews tonight.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#109re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:29pm

What I mean Emcee is the way Esparza may want to play the role a certain way, but the production and director may be preventing him from doing so. But yeah, he just doesn't seem suited to this sort of thing. Maybe he needed the money, or perhaps, wanted to stretch himself beyond what he would normally be cast in.

I for one, would love to see him tackle drama again. His performance in Normal Heart is one of the best things I have ever seen on stage. The entire audience was in tears. Amazing.

Princeton78
#110re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:29pm

We have to see what Spelling Bee boys are nominated first. Christian Borle, from what I hear would be a nice surprise, but if I had to call the nominees now, I'd say Morrison, Folger, Ferguson, Kudisch and O'Hare.
I'd be thrilled with Kudisch, O'Hare or Morrison. I can't comment on the Spelling Bee boys yet.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#111re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:36pm

If Morrison is indeed featured, I'd say He, Fogler, and O'Hare are locks. Leaving a 4th and 5th spot, likely to be filled by Borle and Kudisch.

luvtheEmcee
#112re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:36pm

Well, hopefully something else will come his way soon. I doubt he'll stick with Chitty for more than 6 or 9 months - something with a little more substance is bound to come up. I'm glad he's stretching himself, if that was the motivation, but family-friendly's looking like too far of a stretch.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#113re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:37pm

I'd wait on Morrison until the Tony committee decides on his role's place. For now, I'd be saying look for locks from Fogler andperennial favorite O'Hare, but don't knock Jesse Tyler Ferguson out.
If Morrison is a featured role, that's a lock for him (not a lock if they go with lead; in fact, I think he won't get one then).
At that point, I'm almost willing to call Borle a lock too, which means 4 slots are definite locks: Fogler, O'Hare, Borle and Morrison
Given the big roles who are left: Kudisch, Ferguson, Sieber, McGrath (don't forget him!), I'd probably go with Ferguson.

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#114re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:40pm

how embarassing the awards nominations are turning out to be for Gary Beach and Daniel Davis of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES. The original stars Gene Barry and George Hearn got nominated all over the place and both went on to be nominated for the Tony with Hearn winning. The role of ALBIN in La Cage is a great one for a musical theater star. It must be particularly disturbing that Mr. Beach is not doing well nomination wise for the theater awards. Was his performance as Roger in THE PRODUCERS his "peter principle?" Good enough to be a great co-star but not quite "leading star material?"

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

Princeton78
#115re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:41pm

I'm not so sure of a lock for Borle and about the only good things I've heard about Chitty are Kudisch and Maxwell, so I'd lay my money on them for nominations. Folger seems, from what I heard more likely than Ferguson, but you never know. I'm surprised Kevin Cahoon hasn't gotten more buzz, as I've heard he's quite good. Personally, I'd like to see it go to O'Hare for being the best thing about "Sweet Charity" or to Morrison who I couldn't belive was the same guy who played Link Larkin.

Updated On: 4/28/05 at 02:41 PM

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#116re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:44pm

I'm really happy for all the Dessa Rose nominations. Mostly I am sooooooooooooo happy the Kecia Lewis is being recognized for her work in that show. Her voice and her presence in that show is just mind-blowing. I can't wait to hear it on the recording. Also something interesting, Stephen Flaherty got nominated for his music to the show but Lynn Ahrens did not get nominated for her lyrics. Interesting. I'm just so happy for all of them. They are all such nice people and great performers(and writers) and they deserve this.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#117re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 2:50pm

The saving grace of Chitty is the entire cast, specifically the featured roles. Maxwell and Kudisch are excellent (but you have to hand it to Maxwell, who steals the entire show) but Chip Zien and Robert Sella are EXCELLENT in their bizarre role of scene-change villains. Kevin Cahoon is not going to be a strong contender simply because the role shows up too late and he has one VERY bizarre song to sing. It's creepy and good but nothing special.

The guys in Spelling Bee have great material and much larger and fun roles.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#118re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:01pm

I love that Chip Zien has been reduced to playing a "scene change villian".

I hope the ladies of Bee get noticed somewher. Saltzer (sp) stole the show in my opinion.

cserannie
#119re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:02pm

No John Lithgow, no Tim Curry, no James Earl Jones, no Natasha Richardson? Is this a joke?

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#120re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:04pm

Bobby, Sarah Saltzberg was great, she was just such a bad singer I couldn't get past it. Celia Keenan-Bolger, however, was excellent in a "dowdy" role, as was Lisa Howard in the role of the moderator.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#121re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:11pm

Given that this is also off-Broadway, I don't think it will serve as much prediction for the Tony's.

For those shocked by the ommission of Lithgow, Curry, and Beach, did you really think they'd be nominated? Lithgow and Curry are fine - nothing special, and Beach (in my opinion) is bad.

What shocked me are all the Altar Boyz nominations - truly undeserving, in my opinion.

Where is PACIFIC OVERTURES?
Where the f*ck is Natasha Richardson?
I'm very happy for Laura Linney, because I think she's one of the best living actors today, but I am very upset that Richardson was not recognized.

I am a little surprised, yet overjoyed, that Adriane Lenox was remembered for DOUBT over Goldenhersh. Not to stub Goldenhersh, but if only one of them was going to make the cut, I'm ecstatic that it was Lenox.

Yay for Jan Maxwell, who I would give the award to hands down in a heartbeat!

Haha for Sarah Ramirez, who is funny but as far as a meritable performance? Hardly.

I guess some of the nominations are disappointing, but with so many off-Broadway nods this year, I'm glad they get to shine here since they aren't contendors for the Tony's.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#122re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:14pm

Bwysinger, Saltzberg's "singing" didn't bother me too much, since the lisp-thing was so freaking funny. The vocals by Bolger and Howard were much more polished, but I think Saltzbergs expression and such made her performance even more winning that the other 2 ladies.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#123re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:24pm

Wow these nominees are SO much better than the OCCs

#124re: 2005 DRAMA DESK Nominations - Reactions???
Posted: 4/28/05 at 3:38pm

I agree Matt has the biggest male role in the show, I was just surprised after the OCC noms where he was considered featured, to see him as lead here. I guess I dont always pay attention to notice if the different awards ceremonies all agree on where people belong. I sortve expected Piazza to push Victoria Clark as the only lead and Kelli & Matt as featured. Im going to be on vacation when the Tony committee makes its decisions about the last round of shows!

Im not particularly surprised that Tim Curry isnt listed, I thought he did a good job, but I think the other two men were more memorable. Sara Ramirez not being listed, that surprised me! But then I havent seen most of the women listed in their featured category- unless she was considered a lead too? hmm.