pixeltracker

Rob Maitner's "Basket Case": my review- Page 3

Rob Maitner's "Basket Case": my review

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#50re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:37am

Oh, no. I missed meeting you again... and now I realize that you were at the table right across the ailse. Sigh. NEXT event, for sure.

And just because there are TWO Robbie threads going and I don't want anyone to miss what JRB wrote, I am taking the liberty (and trusting that he won't mind) of cutting and pasting his review of last night into this thread, too. Here goes:

BROADWAY, LISTEN UP---it's WAY past due you hire Rob Maitner A.S.A.F.P.!!!! - jrb_actor May 1, 03:54 AM

I went to Rob Maitner's cabaret expecting fully to be entertained.

Why do you ask? Oh, I'd seen him in BETTY'S SUMMER VACATION in his fantastic performance. I'd seen his brilliant Birthday cabaret. I'd even seen him put ALL of the other Broadway performers of SO3 (save Jennifer Holliday, Barbara Walsh, and a few others) to shame.

But, NOTHING prepared me for the performance I received on April 30, 2005 at The Duplex.

I watched an ARTIST breathe life into the essence of "cabaret". Many people criticized La Verruso when he went to task against cabarets. Well, let's be honest---La Verruso was right about that. Who on earth wants to see an anemic, lifeless collection of leftover Broadway and unknown songs? I don't. And, THANKFULLY, that's the LAST thing you get when you see Rob Maitner perform.

Rob Maitner gives you THEATRE. Yes, T.H.E.A.T.R.E. That which cabaret should be but somehow isn't usually because someone along the way decided that cabaret should be self indulgent bulls***. THANK THE MAKER that Rob Maitner makes THEATRE.

WHO ELSE on this planet could sing "And I Am Telling You" TWO WEEKS after his core audience saw the great Jennifer Holliday perform her masterwork and yet own his version? I'm not talking, "oh, he had a cute idea for how to arrange and present this song"---I'm talking a REAL artist who can take the song and make HIS OWN. By simply applying that magic of acting that somehow escapes much of the landscape in our beloved Broadway these days, ladies and gentlemen.

An artist who can craft a show around ANY collection of standard, Broadway, and pop songs--but, in fact, the PERFECT mix of said songs.

An artist who takes said songs and INFUSES life into them---not gimmicks. Not showyness. Not "hey, aren't I fab doing a benefit", but ART in the true nature of that word.

I'm beyond the ability to put into words what Rob has created---I really should leave that to others---people who are good at being ctitics. I can only say that I saw a unicorn onstage tonite--a UNICORN? YEAH--a rare ****ing creature that Broadway would be LUCKY to get its hands on.

So, BROADWAY---take this SUBTLE hint and cast Rob Maitner NOW, while his fee is still low (he's still a cheap ol whore lol). THE PRODUCERS? You'd be wise to snatch up this talent who could cover probably ANY role in the show---and pleasingly star in any role, too.

Weisslers, you smart, calculated SOBs--hop on this bargain fast! He won't be available in stores. Act Fast Now! If you call in the next 30 minutes, we'll include his fabulous music director/accompanist and his talented boyfriend---all for the same low introductory price! So act now while supplies last!

Otherwise, waste brilliant, genius talent--like we can spare that in this crackpot world.

P.S. If I EVER create my own cabaret (and seeing how I have before and likely will again), I will most definitely be adding Rob Maitner to my list of inspirations---Robbiej and Sandy B! (Sandra Bernhard). I will steal his essence and every sense of how to do things right that I possibly c

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#51re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:38am

oh... and KISSES to RobbieJ's adorable Mom. Who looked FABULOUS in pearls...

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

iflitifloat
#52re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:45am

I think that I shall wear my pearls ALL WEEK in honor of Robbie's success. I'll stop short of declaring this the "official BWW Pearl Wearing Week"...unless, of course, you think maybe I should start a thread about it on the OT board. re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review

#53re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:53am

Yes, I think you should.

Why shouldn't FORs (Fans Of RobbieJ) parade and promote their idolotry?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#54re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 8:54am

I'm wearing mine right now!

Official Pearls For Robbie Week. LOVE IT!

or, BWW PWW!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#55re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 9:16am

One word can sum up Robbie's show for me: Eh.

re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review

Ok, just kidding. For those of you who met me last night, you know doubt know I'm the person who was in possession of the extremely loud, obnoxious laugh put to good use through the ENTIRE show. For good reason.
Everyone else has said it and said it better so I'll just say, "I had a blast!" and leave it at that.

iflitifloat
#56re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 9:24am

"Why shouldn't FORs (Fans Of RobbieJ) parade and promote their idolotry?"

And all while exhibiting the GOOD TASTE that a fine set of pearls affords.

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#57re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 9:46am

I'll even wear a double strand...

Nina Profile Photo
Nina
#58re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 9:52am

Robbie pumpkin, such high praise from so many and so well deserved. I'm glad to hear that this weekend was as much a smash hit as last, not that there was ever any doubt that it would be.

Congratulations again.

For those of you who have not seen Robbie's show, get your butts out to the Duplex for his final weekend. Obviously, he is a talent who must be seen.

Corine, shame on you for trying to highjack Robbie's thread and encourage people to go to FB when they should be going to see Basketcase. Keep your incessent FB and puppet raves restricted to the one hundred plus threads you have already started on those shows and leave one thread for someone more deserving than Jan Simpleton or whatever the woman's name is.

#59re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:42am

In honor of the blossoming of NYC's newest flower, I'll be sporting a tribute to the star himself!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#60re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:43am

DGrant - that is perfect! re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review

#61re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:45am

Hi, Addy re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review It's perfect because the imp himself came up with it (I shamelessly lifted it directly from his web-site!)

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#62re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:51am

Therefore, the perfect tribute!

FindingNamo
#63re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:26am

I'm gonna try my hardest to get a pearl necklace by the end of the day today.

JRB, great review. Put ours together and we sound like the Two Thumbs Up guys!

I completely agree with what you said, especially the Dreamgirls bit. That was the most genius moment in a series of them, in my opinion. To think that it starts out as a funny story, then breaks into the outlandish idea of a white male doing it and rather quickly Rob makes it evolve into a sad and tender gay male love lament.

I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that when Ray Fellman (grrrrr! ruff ruff!) hit those first notes of "And I am Telling You..." I had waves of goosebumps all over my body. It was so, SO good. A moment of theatrical transcendence. And that's what I'm looking for when I put my rump in a chair for any performance.

(Kudos for what sounds like another great show, Robbie!)

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#64re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:08pm

I'm gonna try my hardest to get a pearl necklace by the end of the day today.

I know a few places you could pick one up. Real cheap, too!

PEACE.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#65re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:27pm

Where? I need a new pearl necklace.

#66re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:31pm

Corine, Robbie was extremely entertaining.

Pearl necklaces were available at the performance, had you been there...

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#67re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:32pm

A proper lady always wears pearls.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

FindingNamo
#68re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:40pm

Apparently Corine's in her Samantha phase right now. So she knows a thing or two about getting a pearl necklace.

And Sueleen, all the pearl necklaces I get are cheap. I am what I am!

I loved JRB's review of Robbie's show so much.

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#69re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 12:47pm

I didn't get pearls to clutch, or even an oyster to shuck but I got the best gift of all last night, getting to be fabulously entertained and warmly moved by Robbie's performance. And dare I say surprisingly awed by the depth of his voice (having only seen him sing once before at a bad venue with bad sound and being more enthralled by his high kicks at Standing Ovations 3 to really grasp his voice). He's a showman through and through and his home is the stage. Watching him, felt like seeing someone where they belong in all of their natural resplendence.

Many thanks to all the lovely people we met last night for identifying themselves and helping put board names to faces, it was a pleasure to meet all of you and hopefully we'll have cause to do it again someday.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

FindingNamo
#70re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 1:16pm

"Resplendence," I love it.

I almost used the word "transplendence" but held back!

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#71re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 2:52pm

you held what?

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

#72re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 3:02pm

"Baby got back"

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#73re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 3:16pm

bottom's up.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#74re: rob maitner's 'basket case': my review
Posted: 5/1/05 at 4:29pm

I can not thionk of anything mmore to add to this thread other than a deep and heart felt THANK YOU ROBBIE!

Last night was the best show on or off broadway I have seen in a very very long time.....you deserve all the world has to offer and I will alsways be one of the first in line for tickets!

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie