Here Lies Jenny

thtrteacher
#0Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:17am

Is anyone going to see Here Lies Jenny in San Francisco?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#1re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:07am

Not I, but I went last Summer in NY - and Loved it - here is a rare off-Broadway review of mine for the show.

HERE LIES JENNY

“Here Lies Jenny” with-in its heart lies the very essence of off-Broadway Musical Theatre. A small show, for it only runs seventy five minutes in length; a small theatre, “The Zipper Theatre” is as nostalgic as ever for it was once a Zipper Factory; a small ticket price, starting now you can get a rush ticket at 10pm on Saturday nights for only $10.00; a small cast, there only five of them; and Large talent, the transcendent and resplendent Bebe Neuwirth gives yet another astonishing performance in her repertoire of luminosity.

At the very heart of “Here Lies Jenny” is a story, one that while the talent on stage emotes, the theatergoer puts together their own tale of recent tragic events. The dialogue here in spoken word is minimal, yet the dialogue in emotion, song, and dance is inevitable. Broadway razzle-dazzle this show is not, a true actor’s piece this show is! The music by Kurt Weill gives the small cast every bit of glorious material to act their hearts out. Whether it is a torch song, a fun romp, or a tango, there is something for everyone here in this thriving collaboration of the greats.

Directed by Roger Rees and choreographed by Ann Reinking, two Tony award winners for their work on the Great White Way, bring something special to the smaller side of town that this was not too often comes. Having had realized that, the crafty producers just extended this sensuous & seductive work through late September and have elongated the three late night performances a week six shows a week, Wed-Sat at 8pm, Sat at 11pm, and Sunday at 7pm.

So unzip your purse strings, stand in a small line, pull out a Hamilton, have a drink the bar, have a seat in the seedy automobile style arena, and enjoy off-Broadway as it should be enjoyed: at it’s best

Loppy Profile Photo
Loppy
#2re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:27am

I saw it in NY and was underwhelmed. And I worship Bebe.

Oh well.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#3re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:24pm

I am seeing it in SF, probably late next week or the week after. I can't wait to see Bebe on stage again. The last time I saw her in SF was when she was performing in Three Penny Opera.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#4re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:12pm

any music for this available?

#5re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:37pm

BWW Comments HERE LIES JENNY, July 2004 Updated On: 5/4/05 at 03:37 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#6re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 4:26pm

There needs to be a recording to save Bebe's performance.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

#7re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:41pm

Beaver, I can't help the fact that what's new in New York takes a year to be "new" in San Francisco.

Maybe you're living on the wrong coast?
Updated On: 5/4/05 at 05:41 PM

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#8re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:47pm

RUDE!

God Forbid we all don't live in NY.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#9re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 6/11/05 at 11:33pm

Thanks to all of you who told me to go see this show. It was terrific. The "basement bar" set was done very well, and the song selection was good. I hadn't heard much of Weill's music before (and only recognized Here Lies Jenny), but enjoyed the selection of songs very much.

Bebe and her two supporting dancers were fantastic. She moves so fluidly! Beautiful! My one dissappointment in the show was Bebe's voice. A lot of her singing sounded "forced" to me, though my friend had no problem with it.

Beaverhausen, did you see the show yet?

A big thank you goes out to "Usher Man" who not only told everyone upon seating them to turn off their cell phones, but came down the aisles several times before curtain to remind the audience to do so! THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!

and now, a "pet peeve" moment:
an audience member in front of my friend had the "individually wrapped" candy and during the show unwrapped three pieces. As if that's not bad enough, she was crinkling and folding the empty wrapper into a tiny ball before putting it back into her purse. Now, when asked, my friend said she hardly heard it and was able to block it out. I CANNOT and was tempted to reach over and throttle her, but didn't want to take my eyes off the stage!

hrh_annette Profile Photo
hrh_annette
#10re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 6/12/05 at 1:53am

Pretty right on with the review. And yes, I do prefer Bebe's throatier singing than to some vocalists who sound operatic when all those around them do not. But that's just one girl's opinion.

"I would rather be with the people of this town than with the finest people in the world."--Fred Willard as Mayor Deebs in Roxanne

jarred03
#11re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:16am

Yeah, Bebe's voice is not for everybody, it's not the usual "broadway voice", but Here Lies Jenny is not the usual musical. I saw Here Lies Jenny last summer in NY and thought it was amazing and so was Bebe. I personally love her voice but even if you don't, she will still blow you away with her acting and her amazing dancing, god lord she gives a new meaning to the word grace.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#12re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:43am

too true jarrod03! I was mesmorized by her movements on the stage! The show was so different from my usual musical experience and I loved it!

Bebe can sing any way she wants and I will return.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#13re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 6/12/05 at 6:52am

I saw the NY production three times...astonishing! One of Bebe's finest performances.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: Here Lies Jenny
Posted: 10/12/05 at 5:13pm

Random bump.

I love Bebe's voice. I wish a Cast Recording was made.

Videos