POTO ending

yarn769fink034
#0POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:54pm

I have sceen the show twice and both times the Phantom has disappered(sp)at the end,but a teacher told me that sometimes they kill the Phantom...WFT is up with that?

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#1re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:24pm

NEVER, the crowd never kills the Phantom in ALW's production.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

iluvtheatertrash
#2re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:51pm

Crowd doesn't kill the Phantom.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:03pm

They determine how impolite the audience has been at each performance, and that decides whether or not there is a bludgeoning.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Juliet2170 Profile Photo
Juliet2170
#4re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 4:01pm

wait what? i have never heard that rumor

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#5re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 4:18pm

ah, yes. sometimes the ensemble gets to the layer a little early and they are forced to slay him right there live on stage.

Jenny1284 Profile Photo
Jenny1284
#6re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 4:24pm

There's a 1925 silent film version with Lon Chaney, and in that movie, the mob does kill the Phantom. (So I've been told, I haven't seen the movie yet.) Maybe your teacher was referring to that, or maybe she confused the two.

Joshua488
#7re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:47pm

Meg Giry grabs his mask off of the chair, hunts him down, and cuts his throat with the mask's sharp edge.

This occurs only in Wednesday matinee performances.

beacon1
#8re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:48pm

LOL

*envisions Hugh Panaro on those nights... "Uh oh..." *

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Sant
#9re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/5/05 at 6:50am

That only happens every once in a while. That's when they have to change the actor to play the leading role. They kill off the actor at the end of their contract so they won't reveal how the disappearing is done... re: POTO ending

Seriously, there is a musical PHANTOM which is based on the same book The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux. PHANTOM is composed by Maury Yeston and in that musical The Phantom dies in the end. Maybe your teacher has seen that show and mixed them up by mistake.

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#10re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 1:06pm

ok the Phantom does not get killed! Your teacher is wrong!!!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#11re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 2:19pm

When Meg Giry removes the Phantom's cloak, only his mask is there. It's left up to the audience to interpret what happened to him.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#12re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 2:38pm

HE falls through a hole in the chair - you can see him throw up the blanket.

The hole was made by Christine...

Joshua488
#13re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 2:45pm

Yes, the blanket isn't supposed to be part of the special effect. You watch him cover himself in the blanket, then Meg Giry comes and tears the blanket off of him and there is nothing left but his mask.

In the special features for the film's DVD, the magic consultant for the original production said that his original idea was to have Meg Giry tear off the blanket and the mask would be floating in mid-air, but Hal Prince said no.

LizzieCurry
#14re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 2:54pm

Nope, he's still in the chair, actually. He doesn't fall through it.

Notice how thick the chair is -- he actually retracts into it. If Meg sat in the chair, she'd be on top of his lap.

Joshua488
#15re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 3:03pm

When they say "in the chair", I think they mean actually sitting on the chair. He retracts into the chair, so he is no longer "in the chair."

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#16re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/6/05 at 3:18pm

the phantom never dies. though one time i saw it and the chair didn't work. so he kept the black cape over himself then meg giry picked up the wedding veil that christine threw.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#17re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:09am

<< HE falls through a hole in the chair - you can see him throw up the blanket.>>

That would be quite a special effect re: POTO ending

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#18re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 12:30am

haha, it would be!

I am sure they have planned what would happen if the chair doesn't work.

I wonder why Hal said no to the flyinf mask...

rawleygirl
#19re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:34am

Sometimes they send the Phantom to prison, where he is gang-raped by the chorus of Irma La Douce.

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#20re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:37am

I think the flying mask would have been too "magical" or whimsical for the ending of the show. Its supposed to be a little more dark, but really just bittersweet, because we know the phantom's life sucks, but Christine and Raoul are both free.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#21re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:48am

I think you basically got it neocomposer, with just a little difference in my thinking. The ending is bittersweet, but it's more for the Phantom than just his life sucks. Christine has empowered him to go on through life without the mask. That's the significance of Meg picking up the mask at the end. Also, well some of this I kind of interpreted from a couple things, the movie, a couple of books, but I've decided I like my interpretation: also when she gives him the ring back and says nothing, I once thought it just kind of bitchy of her, but now I realized/decided that since it technically was Raoul's ring to her she certainly could have kept it but she gave it back to the Phantom to reinforce what she told/sang to him that he is not alone.

And I really love the idea further explored in the movie that he always had a piece of her and while she was Raoul's on earth, perhaps she's with the Phantom in death.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli
Updated On: 5/7/05 at 01:48 AM

LizzieCurry
#22re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:56am

Raoul. O before u.

BroadwayBallyBoo
#23re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:09pm

When I saw Phantom in NY with Crawford in it. The end he gets into the chair and disappears only the mask it left for meg to find no killing. Maybe in the new movie they kill the phantom I have not seen it yet also there is a sword fight.

MAKE SOMEONE LAUGH!!!!!*******************

Joshua488
#24re: POTO ending
Posted: 5/7/05 at 1:28pm

The sword fight between the Phantom and Raoul happens when Christine goes to her father's grave. No one dies during it.

The Phantom doesn't die during the movie, either.

Videos