pixeltracker

Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?

Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:14pm

Stealing a title from a wonderful article in the Post from Friday, I want to know what you guys think about Bee's possible win this year. I personally think that it has a good chance of winning and after reading Friday's Post's article, I am even more confident. The voters (according to the article) fell in love with BEE calling it the "only new show this year with heart". The voters seemed to have split on DRS' music, however (some called it "gross" while others thought it was one of the greatest comical scores written in recent memory.) There wasnt much on Spamalot but it seems that all the voters have really fallen in love with of it was Ms. Ramirez. Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys think of Bee's possible win for Best Musical.

Updated On: 5/8/05 at 04:14 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:19pm

I definitely think that "Bee" is a contender. But I stand by my belief that SPAMALOT is still going to walk away with the award.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Plum
#2re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:21pm

I also think Spamalot will probably get it, if only because I doubt the Tony voters will act so out-of-character and vote for the small show 2 years in a row. Avenue Q has already taken all the "little show that could" sympathy points, and not enough time has passed for more of them to be accrued.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#3re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:22pm

What if (and they probably will considering David Stone, also a producer of Wicked, is a producer of the show and witnessed Ave. Q's shocking win last year) they begin a campaign a la Ave Q?

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#4re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:23pm

Or maybe Avenue Q has set a new trend? I think the Tony voters were delighted with themselves for voting for the little guy last time, and maybe they'll pounce on the opportunity to do it again.

Plum
#5re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:27pm

On the contrary, I think a lot of them regretted it once they found out about Q's Las Vegas deal. (Which served them right, by the way, because if that was such a disappointment to them it's proof positive they were still voting their wallets, the twats.)

I actually think Spelling Bee has tremendous moneymaking potential in the far future rather than in the immediate, touring future. Community and school theaters are going to be snapping it up in no time once it's made available. But for now...I just don't know.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#6re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?

I agree with Jezebel.

Any more opinions?

Thesbijean
#7re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?

Bee has no chance whatsoever

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#8re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:31pm

99.8% Bee will not win Best Musical.

Updated On: 5/8/05 at 04:31 PM

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#9re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:34pm

I don't think Bee's going to win. While Wicked was HUGE with viewers, it didn't do well w/ critics. Spamalot is huge and HAS done well w/ critics. I know Tony voters dont = critics but I still think it's going to go to Spamalot.

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#10re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:36pm

I personally think that Bee has a very good chance of winning the Tony. It will take book and best supporting actor and i really believe that it could take musical. i know many people who are tony voters who have said that they are voting for bee for musical and have spread the word to their fellow voters. plus, if bee begins a campaign, it seems the chances are even better that it could win the award. bee is also a hell of a lot more family friendly than ave. q was and it is definitley the most family friendly of the four likely nominees for musical. if wicked was not as family friendly as it was, it would have been dismissed immediatley as a likely winner. although this idea of family friendly shows being the likely winner doesnt always hold true, the only times it doesnt is when a show is really, really, really good and gets raves. bee is really, really, really good, got raves, AND is family friendly. it, in my mind, has a good chance of winning this year. the voters absolutley love it. one of my friends who's a voter said that it seems to him that this is the order of favorites of the voters:

-Bee
-Piazza
-DRS
-Spamalot

dont underestimate bee. it could very well take the cake come tony night :)

*Kristen*

Chrysanthemum62001
#11re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:37pm

I will be shocked, not to mention dissapointed, if Spelling Bee wins.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

WiCkEd4LyFfE
#12re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:39pm

shu q- i have to disagree. spamalot wasnt very well recieved. it got mixed reviews at best. and also, thinking about it, to make a comparrison of last years ave q vs wicked fiasco and this years bee vs spam situation, is innacurate and unfair. q was much more well recieved than spam; and bee was much more well recieved than wicked.

*Kristen*
Updated On: 5/8/05 at 04:39 PM

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#13re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:41pm

I don't doubt that earning prospects come into a Tony voter's mind...but is it really their primary concern? I like to think that merit still has something to do with it!

JenD512
#14re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 4:55pm

Nope, not a chance. The road producers that were conned into "voting their heart" last year will not be duped twice.

And that is not a knock on Avenue Q itself, because I've seen it twice and I loved it. But a majority of Tony voters are road producers, and they love the profitiblity of a show like "Spamalot."

Not to mention that "Spamalot" is just hilarious. Apologies to those who just don't get Monty Python...but it's just a fun night at the theater. I hope it will win.

Plum
#15re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 5:11pm

Oh. My. God. For the last time, the road producers who were "duped" into voting for Avenue Q were not voting their hearts, but their wallets. If they only voted for the show because of a prospective tour and were therefore disappointed when its producers decided on the Vegas deal instead, they weren't voting based on the merits of either show. They deserved what they got, and they were "duped" into voting for the better show anyway, if not the best one.

That said, see my posts above for why I think Spamalot's going to win anyway.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#16re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 6:10pm

Plum, no one said they were voting on the merits. But they were duped.

Back to the original question: I wouldn't be shocked if DRS or Bee won. I'd be shocked if the Wing awards the Tony to Spamalot. Ugh

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!
Updated On: 5/8/05 at 06:10 PM

Hank
#17re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 6:41pm

If anyone challenges, it will be DRS.
Kind of reminds me of 2002, when Millie beat out Mamma Mia (the year's biggest hit) and Urinetown (the little show with heart).

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#18re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:06pm

Amen, Plum.

There's no new Tony campaign trend here. In my mind, what "Avenue Q" pulled last year counts majorly AGAINST "Bee"... I know "Bee" is different from "Q" in many respects, but to the average voter, the situation will probably look eerilly similar. Small-time show gets big-time attention upon transferring to Broadway. It's witty and a darling with audiences. It looks like it could be very commercially successful in the future. Investing in it's future by giving it the big prize seems a good idea-- yet you remember what happened last year. You got royally screwed by those "small time" folks. What happens? You shy away from being burned a second time.

I haven't seen "Bee" so I can't comment on quality, but because of a certain puppet show, I seriously doubt the situation will repeat for a second year in a row.

Vote your heart, my ass. Unless by heart you mean wallet.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

WiCkEDrOcKS
#19re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:14pm

But Bee wont make the false promises that Q did. It will go on tour and wont dupe the voters. David Stone learned how to be fair but still win from last year's shocker.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#20re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:18pm

You have a lot of faith in people. Not sure how you can be so positive that they won't, but I guess time will tell. To me... false promises or no... Q has created an unfortunate president that will be hard for future small shows to overcome.

(Heh. And I LIKE Ave. Q, actually... I just don't agree with what they did.)

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#21re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:18pm

How do you know that, WickedRocks? Last year about this time, I don't think anyone really thought Q would go back on its word to tour. Nobody *knew* it was a "false promise."
It will go on tour and wont dupe
It's really premature to be dicussing a tour, anyway. I'm not sure what you mean by saying it with such conviction...

A work of art is an invitation to love.

WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:31pm

Em- My parents are investors in Bee and there is a tour in discussion and because of the raves it got, it will most likely happen. Nothing about a sit down production.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:33pm

Sadly, I think Spamalot is the 800 pound gorilla in the room

Poster Emeritus

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?
Posted: 5/8/05 at 7:36pm

Okay, but billing honesty on raves, if you're discussing it in comparison to Q, isn't really too valid. Whatever happened with Q, whether it was an outright lie just to get Tony votes, or if plans simply changed, there wasn't talk of a sit-down production in that case before last year's Tonys, either and I think there's liability that any production could have the same thing happen to it. A touring production of Q was "most likely" a year ago, too.

I hate to say it, but I think Spamalot's going to win. I'd rather see it go to the Scoundrels or Piazza, though. re: Could 'Spamalot' 'Bee' Challenged?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/8/05 at 07:36 PM

Videos