Hedwig and the Angry Inch

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#0Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 7:12pm

After seeing Anthony Rapp play Hedwig in Philly a little while back, I was contemplating whether or not to see the movie version..

Also, I had a question about the ending..Anthony Rapp was out of drag and sang that "follow my voice.." song, yet still had makeup smudges and Hedwig boots on..what was going on then? Was he supposed to be Hedwig's former love or..Idk, I'm just a little confused :)

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 7:24pm

SEE THE MOVIE. It is amazing and John is....there is no word to describe it. Love the movie......"suddenly I'm this Punk rock star of stage and screen and I ain't ever, I'm never turning back."

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#2re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 7:44pm

Definitely see the movie -- it's beautifully-made (it won several awards, including the Audience Award at Sundance) and, in my opinion, is one of the greatest stage-to-film adaptations of a musical, ever. The film opens up the book a bit more by dramatizing all the events and anecdotes that Hedwig merely describes and imitates in the stage show.

The ending is intentionally ambiguous (the plot starts to unravel to give way to abstract feeling), although the film is a bit more explicit about what happens.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#3re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:32pm

anthony rapp played hedwig in philly?? geez, where was i?

as for the ending ... i don't think the movie really makes it that much clearer. i personally like it a lot better that hedwig "becomes" tommy whether in reality or imagination or what - like in the play. in the movie, since there is a character of tommy that we see ... it just makes it more confusing to me.

before the movie came out, i still feel the same about the ending as i do now. it may clue you in as to what is "supposed" to be happening, but the message and overall theme is still the same.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#4re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:43pm

The film version of HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH is one of my favorite movie musicals ever. Brilliantly made.

birdboy782
#5re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:47pm

Anthony didn't play Hedwig in Philly - he played Hedwig in a production at the City Theatre in Pittsburgh which played (and extended a few times) during the summer of 2003, and subsequently transferred to Hartford Stage, CN (where it also extended.)

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#6re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:49pm

Ooh sorry, I got my "P" -letter-starting-with cities messed up..Either I was in Philly or Pittsburg..sorry!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 8:50pm

as for the ending ... i don't think the movie really makes it that much clearer. i personally like it a lot better that hedwig "becomes" tommy whether in reality or imagination or what - like in the play.

I guess the movie's ending suggests something slightly different than the show. While in the stage show, it seems that Hedwig "becomes" Tommy, the film offers a confrontation between between the two spiritual halves: that's why the two of them look so similar, and seemingly so stripped of anything. To me, it harks back to that moment described in "Origin of Love" where the two lovers look at each other and recognize each other's pain....and then Tommy says goodbye and leaves "with the good stuff."

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#8re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/14/05 at 9:01pm

Yeah I've been contemplating on whether to see the movie or not. But it sounds like it's well worth a watch. *heads off to blockbuster*

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

audreypocahontas
#9re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/15/05 at 2:04am

see the movie ~ it has bee-aa-uutiful music. John sings like a dream

he's also the hottest hedwig. Updated On: 5/15/05 at 02:04 AM

sfs1414
#10re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/15/05 at 9:39am

See the movie. I just got an Origin of Love Tattoo on my wrist! I had the honor to see Anthony perform the role over 10 times and got to meet him! What an amazing experience. Anyone who missed Anthony, missed out on a brilliant experience!!!!

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#11re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/15/05 at 11:21am

Just echoing everyone else's sentiment. You must see the movie. The music is beautiful and unforgettable.

sfs1414: Can you post a pic of you tat? I would love to see it.

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#12re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/15/05 at 11:34am

I loved the movie and want to see the stage show so much!

sfs1414: Sure, rub it in, why don't you? Not all of us are blessed enough to have seen Anthony as Hedwig. (jk)

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

sfs1414
#13re: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Posted: 5/15/05 at 4:45pm

I would post a pic but i'm not quite sure how to!!
I see the image link but I don't know how to get the pic in there! Help!

Videos