News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:29pm

I *knew* I heard the name Saycon Segleh or however it's spelled before.

Years ago, when I went to see WICKED, the following day I went to see AIDA. At the time, Michele T. Williams was starring in the role. However, she wasn't there for this performance, and the actress that performed 'Aida' that night was...

Saycon.

And she was AWFUL. I was excited that the announcement said an understudy (or standby) would be performing for Michele T. Williams. Too many pop stars had been stunt-cast in the role, so at last, I would potentially see someone who was familar in the role. WRONG! Vocals were not up to par with the rest of the female cast. Her acting was unemotional. I'll try and find my original review. She ruined what would have been a phenominal show for me. HOWEVER, she was tolerable. Just not what I consider to be a leading performer on Broadway. No spunk. No outstanding talent.

Just thought I'd share. She's the current "Elphaba," yes? This role would be better her. The voice isn't as demanding as "Aida."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:30pm

"Just thought I'd share. She's the current "Elphaba," yes? This role would be better her. The voice isn't as demanding as 'Aida'."

No, she is the current Elphaba understudy. Shoshana Bean is the current Elphaba.

jjdude2000
#2re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:30pm

She's the current Elphaba *stand-by*. Shoshana bean is elphaba.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

jjdude2000
#3re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:31pm

3 seconds apart, lol.

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#4re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:33pm

NOT EVEN CLOSE! She actually is the STAND-BY re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#5re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:33pm

lol....i guess we all know our facts!

melissa errico fan
#6re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:34pm

Has she been elevated from Understudy to Standby?

jjdude2000
#7re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:35pm

She's always been standby.

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#8re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:44pm

"Years ago, when I went to see WICKED, the following day I went to see AIDA. At the time, Michele T. Williams was starring in the role. However, she wasn't there for this performance, and the actress that performed 'Aida' that night was...

Saycon."

I am utterly confused by this timeline. You say that when you went to see WICKED a few years ago, you saw AIDA the following day w/ Saycon? What's that "when I went to see WICKED" there for? Sorry, just confused.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:44pm

(Sengbloh.)

Sad to hear it - she was my favorite Aida.... that I saw live. re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!

A work of art is an invitation to love.

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#10re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:45pm

I saw Saycon's Aida and loved her. I guess its all a matter of opinion.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:47pm

I made a special visit to see WICKED the December after it opened on Broadway. I had always loved the music to AIDA, so I decided to go see it, too.

That statement surprises me, luvtheEmcee!! Especially from you! Haven't you seen nearly everyone? Did you see Heather Headley?

I saw the OBC on bootleg and the show was so much better than what I saw live.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 5/17/05 at 06:47 PM

melissa errico fan
#12re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:48pm

Michelle T. Williams played Aida from November 11, 2003, to February 15, 2004. Although that is technically not "a few years ago", it is also not "recent".

melissa errico fan
#13re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:50pm

Capn-

I remember a post Emcee made a little while back saying that she never saw Heather. She was out the day Emcee saw the show.

*Dear Emcee, I am not a stalker! re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!! I just have a really good, long memory.

luvtheEmcee
#14re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:50pm

Well, I saw the show in October 2000, so I *should* have seen Heather Headley, but I saw an understudy. re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!! I don't remember many details of the performance at all... her name was Thursday Farrar, and I thought she was great, but I was like 13. I wasn't too critical back then.

I saw Saycon my second and third times, then Ta'rea Campbell, and I saw Deborah Cox at the final show. Deborah's vocals were spot on, but that part needed to be acted well. I felt like even though Saycon's vocals weren't the best, she did a great job with the songs, and had a beautiful interpretation of the part, and KILLER chemistry with Adam.

ETA - LOL, MEF re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!

Updated On: 5/17/05 at 06:50 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:53pm

Hmmm.

Yes, saw them December 2003. Change "few" to "couple."

Well, I didn't see her with Adam. An understudy was on for Radames as well. Perhaps this is why I didn't enjoy it.

--Aristotle

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#16re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:55pm

Iam surprised to hear this. I have only heard good things about Saycon.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

luvtheEmcee
#17re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 6:57pm

The first time I saw Saycon, she was on for Simone, and she was playing opposite Richard H. Blake (Adam's stand-by, now playing Link in Hairspray). Radames just wasn't the role for him. The OBC was simply irreplacable.

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#18re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:00pm

Ok, let's try this again.

You saw WICKED in New York at the Gershwin in December of 2003, the December after it's opening on 10-30-03. The cast was Idina, Kristin, Norbert, Joel, Carole, Michelle, etc. Glinda's standby was Laura Bell Bundy. Elphaba's standby was Eden Espinosa.

Where is there a connection between Saycon in AIDA and WICKED in 12-2003? Are you just saying she was bad in AIDA, so she's probably bad in WICKED? I have to be missing something. Can someone clarify?

Joshua488
#19re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:00pm

2004 isn't recent?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:04pm

Ignore WICKED altogether. I'm saying I went to NYC to see WICKED, but I also saw AIDA. When I saw AIDA - Saycon was Aida, and was not in Wicked whatsoever. It was the OBC in WICKED.

--Aristotle

sassypanz
#21re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:07pm

Shes got a squeaky voice!

defy_gravity
#22re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:09pm

Question: Was Laura Bell Bundy the original Glinda standby?

We can't all come and go by bubble...

Joshua488
#23re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:11pm

I like Saycon's squeak.

Yes, Laura Bell Bundy was the original standby.
Updated On: 5/17/05 at 07:11 PM

luvtheEmcee
#24re: Saycon Was AWFUL!!!!!
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:11pm

It's really funny how many of these posts are unrelated Wicked posts...

Videos