pixeltracker

The "Queering" of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?- Page 2

The "Queering" of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?

One Song Glory
#25re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 7:07am

Hmmm...I'm not sure how to respond to this.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

Lindy2
#26re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 7:08am

You can correlate anything you want, but it does not prove that it is the cause of why it is happening.

You can say that red haired people are less likely to go to the theatre now, but can you really attribute a correct reasoning?

For the record, I've grown up in the south and was taught that homosexuality was a sin, but recently, I began searching for my own views on things. My thoughts have changed, and a lot of that has to do with the influence of Broadway. So I believe the "gay agenda" as it is called, is helping.

One Song Glory
#27re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 7:18am

I suppose broadway has it's benefits with homosexuality. And that many gay people would like to see some of them. I just wasn't sure because I know some gay people but they've never said anything about broadway except "It's a bit boring".

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

romanov
#28re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 7:21am

If it weren't for homosexuals, there would be no theatre. In the wings, on stage, in the audience. No where.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 9:48am

See the article on tomorrow's Arts section on all-male casts.

This is a specious argument started by a bored poster to create controversy.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#30re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 10:00am

um, pal joey....uh the whole Lancelot gay thing in Spam....bad example

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

#31re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 12:13pm

Gee, PJ, the intent was not to start controvery, but rather to hopefully start some level of substantive discourse on the main board in order to create some jumping off points for actual discussions centered on theatre.

You may not like the topic, nor the fact that I posted it, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Personally attacking me, as you are prone to do no matter what the topic, is of no value to anyone.

#32re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 12:22pm

No, actually it's a divisive post started by someone that I suspect has no interest in intelligent discourse. And it's incredibly offensive.

Updated On: 5/21/05 at 12:22 PM

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#33re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 12:45pm

Broadway is what broadway is. Today the big deal in plays is homosexuality 50 years ago it was great big dance numbers. Fads on broadway change i think that "queering of broadway" is a great way to open up the stage to more audiences

MarkCohen
#34re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 1:40pm

"its true the vast majority of male actores on Broadway are gay, you do have a few str8 ones (cough) Matt Morrison (cough) "

Hmmmm...you would think that maybe, but I'm not sure if the vast majority, of leading men that is.

Hunter Foster, Matthew Broderick, Adam Pascal, Taye Diggs, Cary Shields, Matt Caplan, Norbert Leo Butz, John Lithgow.

I'm not trying to be contraversial, but I'm just saying it may not be the huge majority that some would suspect.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#35re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 1:51pm

Does any of this really matter? Anyone is allowed to like Broadway. I'm a straight, 15 yr old girl and I've loved it since I was about 4. I like things based on the shows and the people and the actors..The worth of a show or anything isn't based on anyone's sexuality. Some shows do promote homosexuality in a very positive way, such as Zanna Don't and Bare, yet just because there are shows like that does not mean that Broadway has been 'queered'. Many different people contribute to make Broadway a wonderful atmosphere.

As for the question itself I dont think people should get mad..it was just a question, but just bringing up a point like this I guess could cause controversy?

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

MarkCohen
#36re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 4:29pm

I definitely agree that everyone is allowed to like broadway. But I definitely am assumed to be gay because I like musical theatre and am a 15 year old guy.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#37re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 4:43pm

THere are definately sterotypes, but those are generated from naive people.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#38re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 4:53pm

I think live theatre and Broadway are one of those 'fine' things that certain people enjoy, gay men being one of them. Whether anyone NOT GAY chooses NOT TO LIKE IT because gay men do, is a whole 'nother story. I think that the shows out there do not have a gay agenda, however.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

RentBoy86
#39re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 5:47pm

I kind of agree. Gay people have some how been injected into all sorts of shows. My dad and i went to see The Fully Monty tour when it came into town because I loved the score and wanted to see the show performed live. We were both shocked that there were two gay characters in the show. Not that we were shocked by the "gay" characters, but the fact that the creative felt that they needed to add them to make the show more marketable to American audiences. There were no gay characters in the movie, why would they add them? Its just annoying when everyone outside of theater thniks your gay for wanting to be in theater. And don't get me wrong, my two favorite shows ever are Rent and Bare, but it just seems like they don't need to be in every single freaking show. Its just kind of become a standard.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#40re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 6:36pm

"There were no gay characters in the movie, why would they add them?" - They are in the original screenplay, rentboy.

I'm sorry, José, but I find the subject of this thread as offensive if you had asked "The 'Jewing' of Broadway - Agree or Disagree?".

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#41re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 9:31pm

This post is homophobic.

Updated On: 5/21/05 at 09:31 PM

WayWicked
#42re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 9:40pm

Is this a serious thread? I mean..come on

Happy Happy Joy Joy

#43re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 9:48pm

Oh honey that's how I feel about a lot of Jose's threads. Take it up with the management.
Updated On: 5/21/05 at 09:48 PM

wink
#44re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 9:58pm

Do shows without gays push a heterosexual agenda? Maybe I'm ignorant, but I can't see people staying away from theater because of a gay character. Shakespeare used them too.

Wasn't there a thread about this not too long ago? Something about "Why is everything gay, gay, gay?"

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#45re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 10:06pm

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 5/27/05 at 10:06 PM

romanov
#46re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 10:07pm

This entire thread is a faux pas. Anyone want to talk about Ethel Merman? I saw her when I was 15! Ooops! I just showed my age. That's a REAL faux pas.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#47re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 10:40pm

First off- It is true that EVERY SINGLE guy who is into musical theatre is thought to be gay by many people. At least once a month I get questioned about my sexuality, and it's been this way for FOUR years. I personally do not think my sexuality is relevant to my interests but others believe that liking musical theatre and being gay ARE THE SAME THING: call it controversial if you want, but it is true.

Next- Theatre has ALWAYS been more open to gay/flamboyant characters and it seems only natural that in today's world, where "gay" is in every art medium (music, television movies etc.),there would be an even greater number of gay characters. 40+ years ago having a gay lead would kill a show, and threaten an actor's career, but, once again, in today’s world having a gay lead is OK and opens up the theatre to many interesting new stories (i.e. "Zanna Don’t").

I would NOT SAY Broadway is becoming more queer, but it is giving today’s world shows that will entertain us, and, in some cases, make us think. An example of this would be if a "not-so-liberal" person goes and sees "La Cage..." they might understand that a "gay-family" can be just as loving and NORMAL as any "straight family". I'm not saying this is going to happen, but it might.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#48re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 10:58pm

Broadway has always been gay.

Isn't this beating a dead horse?

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Tirso de Molina
#49re: The 'Queering' of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?
Posted: 5/21/05 at 11:47pm

A couple weeks ago, there was an article in the New York Times about how SPAMALOT was managing the difficult trick of attracting lots of straight guys to attend -- and the man-in-the-audience quotes seemed to suggest that many straight guys (as opposed to gay men or women of either orientation) just don't have Bway musicals on their mental entertainment map. I don't recall if the article raised the question of gay content in shows or not ....

(this was the same article where Fierstein described himself as "gayer than a pink leather pinata", a line that I'm always going to cherish)

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"