pixeltracker

The "Queering" of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?- Page 4

The "Queering" of Broadway -- Agree or Disagree?

#75The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/22/05 at 9:50pm

Jose this is how I see your post and why I don't like it. The posts you apparently dislike, where posters exchange ideas and memories and theories (Even fractious ones) are a nice exchange of ideas: I don't like that show you like, I think Glen Close stinks, I think Music Man is dull, etc. etc. Your post threw out an idea I personally find repugnant: That people of a certain sexuality some how damage Broadway with their presence. And you phrased in it a way (Many people think, this is often discussed, etc.) that you took no personal responsibility for your post. Frankly, it's not often discussed around me I guess beause I'd set the bigots straight(No pun intended).

I think of the many Gay & Lesbian posters here (Professionals who work on Broadway, youngsters getting their first taste of sexual diversity, Closeted folks across the country) and think of how your post effects them.

I purposely didn't answer your post because I found it deeply, truly offfensive: Do you really think Marc Shaiman should not not write another show because he's too gay? Do you really think Harvey Fierstein should be removed from Fiddler and not work again? Do you really think Chayanne Jackson should get back in the closet? I don't. Broadway is a place where it's almost all based on talent and determination. I'd hate to see "Sexuality" brought in as a criteria.

On top of that, you used a slur to describe the "Queering" of Broadway. That sickens me as so many gays & Lesbians have made a home on Broadway for so long, often when they couldn't be welcomed anywhere else. I think I'd respect you more if you brought your opinion to the forefront and claimed these opinions as your own, if that's the sort of garbage you believe. Especially if you hold some sort of power on this board, I'd like to know what kind of crap I'm dealing with.

#76The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/22/05 at 9:50pm

Double post cause I was just that PO'ed! Updated On: 5/22/05 at 09:50 PM

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#77The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 12:38am

Broadway is the most gay place in the world. Broadway is the center of gayism.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#78The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 1:44am

DGrant and Glindafan, thank you for saying what I've been thinking since everyone first started objecting to this thread topic.

Very few of the people that are calling this topic "homophobic" have bothered to provide a defense as to why you believe the original agrument (not Jose's posting of the topic) to be wrong. No wonder there are so few legitimate debates on this board, no one is willing to contribute to them.

Edit: I googled "gay agenda on Broadway". This article came up and is on the same topic that Jose' posted, so it is a preexisting argument.
"Never Gayer" Tony Awards

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 01:44 AM

#79The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 1:56am

It is homophobic. And for the record Jose said "it's been said..." who said it? I think Jose said it, so it's Jose who should receive the criticism.

Orange, there is no original argument. And if there is, Jose didn't bother to credit anyone with it.

Edit:Orange, this article you posted was a reaction to the Tony awards aired in 2003. This article was published two years ago.It seems Jose is the one bringing this issue out. You had to go back two years to find something to justify Jose's homophobic posting and you found a hateful article by a homophobe which was written to foment anti-gay sentiment, not intelligent discourse. Good going Orange.

Updated On: 5/23/05 at 01:56 AM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#80The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:27am

Orange--that columnist you posted, Brent Bozell, is one of the most violently anti-gay hatemongers around, hardly an example of the kind of reasonable discourse Jose says he wants to open up.

Brent Bozell IS a notorious homophobe.

mikewood
#81The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:13am

I think overall in society there has been an overall unfortunate shift in tolerance/political correctness/a gay-lesbian chich/homophobia. Insert term depending on your political leaning. Certainly, Broadway is gay friendly... but since a significant portion the community on stage/behind stage/audience is gay, is that a surprise? Why shouldn't it be? With so many elements of society anti-gay, why shouldn't Broadway be gay friendly? Am I off base here? Now with George W., I think there has been an rather substantial conservative shift in the country so if the gay community has been in a little more in our face in taking a secure foothold in the theater community all the more power to them.

My best friend, who despises theater, insists on introducing me as "Mike does a lot of theater...but he's not gay!" Of course, when I introduce him to my theaer friends, I say he's a golfer but not a total a$$h$%&!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

#82The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:36am

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooW! That Brent Bozell column could not have made my argument any better! If he's repulsed by Hairspray, it makes me love it more!!

birdlives Profile Photo
birdlives
#83The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 2:23pm

The only time I have an issue with gay-ness in theater is when I'm forced to watch some college or summer stock production of WEST SIDE STORY in which a majority of the "gang" members on both sides are very effeminate dancer boys.

Or even worse, a very obviously gay Tony who has as much chemistry with Maria as I have with a busted toaster.

That said, the only thing MORE uncomfortable than watching that is watching a straight man try to pull off the exact opposite as any Nathan Lane originated character in a Terrence McNally play.

Nina Profile Photo
Nina
#84The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 6:38pm

"On top of that, you used a slur to describe the "Queering" of Broadway. That sickens me"

Yet, you write, in reference to Latinos:
(not that I Have a problem with them-- most of them are well-behaved and clean people, just like 'regular' folks).

BwayTheatre11
#85The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:09pm

I agree that many shows have "queer" humor, but it sure isn't turning people away.

CCM '10!

ghostlight2
#86The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 8:43pm

Nina, it was sarcasm - he was trying to point out the flaws in the original poster's argument and was being so deliberately, outrageously offensive that it's hard to imagine anyone taking offense when it's clear he meant none.
Updated On: 5/23/05 at 08:43 PM

justthefacts2 Profile Photo
justthefacts2
#87The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 9:32pm

Here's a controversy for you - will it ever be acceptable to be Catholic on Broadway?

Salmon leap from the womb of the white sea you look on; they are calves, they are lambs of good color, in peace without slaughter.

Fizz
#88The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:03pm

Wow... I got angry when I read the title of this. Ticenewyorkcity says it very eloquently on the first page.

The only problem I have with it is when its over the top. Example being... lets use RENT, the character of Angel. One or two people have played it way too flamey and feminine- Yes, Angel is very feminine. However, she's also a total tough cookie when needed and has layers(Ooh. An onion!). It makes me angry when the feminine side of Angel's personality is all thats expressed.

Oi, chinkie azn jai, you live near me... I go to Larkin.

Now I'm planning to leave this topic because I'm both Latin and queer, terms being used are pissing me off quite a bit.

stonewall2
#89The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/23/05 at 10:24pm

I'm offended by this entire thread. No one would think of starting a post asking if "Broadway was TOO African-American or too (insert your own group here!)! WHY is this even important to you? I'd much rather hear about the weather in Chicago if you feel that you absolutely MUST post something or die!
Now,I really want to know what was meant by the statement which was made by Marquise:

"Theatre will never be the same until the gays are out."

Hopefully it was meant as a joke-but I didn't find it a bit funny. It's stupid,nasty, bigoted comments like that which encourage gay-bashing as an "after-bar sport".
Come on folks, theatre mirrors life and as someone so aptly said,
"We're here, we're queer and we are NOT going away"!!!!!!!

"I'm mad, you're mad. we're all mad"... The Cheshire Cat

#90The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:08am

Broadway would be so much less fun if it didn't have a gay vibe. Straight people like to ignore/deride it, but secretly we know they're lovin it.

Shoshagga X

kelleymd
#91The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:14am

This is a silly thread.
Who gives a crap who is gay/straight/biwhatever...I come to Broadway to see the most TALENTED people in the world sing, dance, act, do makeup and costuming, etc...And if a lot of these talented people happen to be gay then more power to 'em.
By the way, Broadway DOES appeal to everyone- not just "liberal New Yorkers" and the other various categories aforementioned...
Might I mention that I am a straight, Republican (*gulp* This is message board suicide), Texan who loves to go to Broadway with my straight, Republican (*gulp* again- don't get me started, maybe it is a phase), Texan, baptist husband who wears his cowboy boots to the shows (just trying a make a point here) and we love watching each and every performer. And we have never been as heartbroken as when Justin Johnston's awesome Angel died...you do not have to be gay to imagine the pain of a lover dying...
OK, don't get me started on the 5/21 evening production of RENT as it was the best theater moment I have ever had and my head is still spinning...
Point is, who gives a crap? Talent is talent, and I have never seen as much of it concentrated in one place. God bless each and every one of you on stage and behind the scenes who make the productions possible. Gay or straight.

cserannie
#92The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:45am

Honestly, I don't care if the actor is gay as long as he does his work right. Of course there are some gay jokes in the comedies but they are not provocative at all.

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

#93The Crazy World Broadway Message Boards
Posted: 5/25/05 at 2:21pm

OMG, there are Republicans on this board!?!?!?!?!?