pixeltracker

Great Songs in Weak Scores- Page 2

Great Songs in Weak Scores

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#25re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 2:55pm

It's a "guilty pleasure" for me, magruder. Carolyn Leigh penned some VERY witty lyrics, and I am partial to "Walk Away", "Shakesphere Lied", and "They Don't Make 'em Like That Anymore".

As for the Tony Roberts songs...EUUUUCHHH!

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 5/22/05 at 02:55 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#26re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 3:15pm

Not to mention the delightful insanity of "He's Here". Tony Roberts is an acquired taste, I suppose, but I really like "Gawk, Tousle and Shucks," "Touch and Go," and of course, "Step to the Rear".

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Bwaybaby109
#27re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 3:45pm

Yay GirlforTartaglia! Great minds think alike! re: Great Songs in Weak Scores

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Sant
#28re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 3:48pm

Only In New York - THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE

Crazy - STARLIGHT EXPRESS

Plum
#29re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 4:04pm

"Another Suitcase in Another Hall" - Evita

And in a less extreme example, "Day by Day," from Godspell. That's not really a bad score, just a mediocre one.

Oh, and this will probably get me a few flames, but "The Impossible Dream," from Man of La Mancha, a distinctly mediocre score. Updated On: 5/22/05 at 04:04 PM

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#30re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 4:11pm

Divas lament from spamalot.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 6:48pm

How Now was enjoyable. Not great but enjoyable
Loved the score from I Had A Ball

When I Get My Name In Lights - Legs Diamond
A Married Man - Baker Street
It's So Simple - Baker Street
Horn of Plenty - Little Women
Two of A Kind - Gone With The Wind

Poster Emeritus

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#32re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/22/05 at 9:09pm

the gods love nubia- aida

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#33re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:04pm

"Oh, and this will probably get me a few flames, but "The Impossible Dream," from Man of La Mancha, a distinctly mediocre score."

There are maybe one or two others (To each his Dulcinea, Aldonza, Dulcinea) but it is not as strong a score as the show's ongoing fame would suggest.

But... how does GYSPY qualify as a weak score?? Ok, some of the vaudeville numbers are intentionally awful but that's the point. The rest is pure gold. The lyrics zip along at a great pace and the tunes are all totally appropraite for the book. There is NOT ONE WEAK LINK in this score. It's fine if the writer doesn't like it, but to say it is weak shows a lack of familiarity with what Broadway is all about. (Maybe the writer spends too much time watching WICKED and PHANTOM over and over?)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#34re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/23/05 at 11:27pm

although i dont agree with it, mydreams is entitled to her opinion. and i have to say that the little lamb comment made me laugh.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#35re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 12:23am

To beat a dead horse, Gypsy is easily in the top 5 scores of all time.

I can't listen to My Favorite Year straight through anymore, but I frequently pop it in for "Twenty Million People" and "Larger Than Life."

"Wanting" and "Children of the Wind" almost redeem Rags for me, but not quite enough to get listened to very often.

"The Devil You Know" is the only thing I ever listen to from Side Show.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#36re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:06am

"Before The Summer Ends" from Dracula the Musical. As a whole, the score was pretty lackluster and undeveloped, several of the songs were quite wonderful. "BTSE" is an amazing example of how a shorter ballad can be so effective when it's well written. I have to be honest, I think it was the only song in the show that Don Black didn't try to write in five minutes. Wildhorn's music had such potential, but the lyrics throughout the show were crap! I really think that Doug Besterman's orchestrations, even though most of it was canned, were gorgeous!

Bye!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#37re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:35am

I am still in disbelief that someone mentioned anything from GYPSY.

The Impossible Dream, MAN OF LA MANCHA
Try to Remember, THE FANTASTICKS
Mama, A Rainbow, MINNIE'S BOYS

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

neelyohara Profile Photo
neelyohara
#38re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 2:18am

"Fifty Percent" from Ballroom...

To continue to "beat a dead horse," Gypsy is a wonderful, wonderful show with a great score--not to mention also classic and timeless.

Not today, Geraldine.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#39re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 2:21am

Yeah, my mouth is still on the floor about the whole Gypsy thing!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Urban
#40re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 9:52am

"Tango Maureen" from RENT.

#41re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:02am

Half A Moment from By Jeeves!

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#42re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 10:37am

A Man Worth Fightin' For - Bring Back Birdie
And Eve Was Weak - Carrie
The First Lady of the Land - Mr. President
The Life of the Party - The Happy Time
The Man Nobody Could Love - Legs Diamond
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer - The Rink
Stop Time - Big
Orbachs, Bloomingdales, Best and Saks - Coco
Men - Lorelei
Running in Place - Steel Pier

There are no good songs in Thou Shalt Not and Nick & Nora.

cathyhyatt
#43re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 1:25pm

astonishing-little women

only song I really liked in the show..

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

QuiteSo Profile Photo
QuiteSo
#44re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:09pm

Geez, let up on the person who has a different opinion about Gypsy!

Anyway:
Aida - My Strongest Suit
Triumph of Love - Have A Little Faith, Henchmen are Forgotten, and Mr. Right
Jane Eyre - Sirens, In The Light of the Virgin Morning, The Proposal
Hairspray - Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Prayer, Falcon in the Dive
Jekyll and Hyde - In His Eyes

...I think this is mostly a list of guilty pleasures, but hey.

Merrily we roll along, roll along...
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 04:09 PM

hypertruffle
#45re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:20pm

WithoutaTrace-Since you've mentioned Carrie, is there any recordings available from the show?

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

WithoutATrace
#46re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:24pm

not any recordings that are legal. i had to do some serious research to get a hold of that one.
Updated On: 5/24/05 at 04:24 PM

hypertruffle
#47re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:25pm

ah....Have you actually seen the show *curiousity of the experience rises*

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#48re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:30pm

i really like once upon a time from Brooklyn... thats just my opinion and i think its the best song from the brooklyn score, all though theres not too much competition

WithoutATrace
#49re: Great Songs in Weak Scores
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:32pm

i was only 6 when the show came out in 1988 so I did not see the show live. i have seen the bootleg of act 1 though. the show has great appeal to me because it was a huge flop. some of the music is good, but according to those who saw it, the show flopped because of the staging and the costumes.