pixeltracker

Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY- Page 5

Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY

lori2
#100re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 9:12am

Lol, there certainly is a LOT of bitchiness on this site!

mikewood
#101re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 9:25am

I acknowledge the fact that wicked is popular amongst the kiddies, family audiences and the untalented twink musical theatre students. that's all fine and dandy. but no amount of success will ever detour from the fact that it is a poorly written show. >>>

What a snarky comment.

Well, I'm not a kiddie or an untalented twink musical theatre student. And, I like the show. It is as least as well-written as CATS.

In any event, in either case, it is only our opinion. Including the merits of the writing in Wicked.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

yarn769fink034
#102re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:53am

If you are offended then therefore you are close-minded. political correctness is a matter of being uncomfortable with one's self. If you are comfortable with your own beliefs and respect the intelligence and beliefs of others than you should not feel the need to inform me that my comment (meant to be taken in a light-hearted manner) could be offensive to some.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#103re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:14am

again, in defense of CATS, it is said over and over again that we are all entitled to our own opinions and this is true so I will say that in my humble opinion to put wicked on the same level, at least textually speaking, as CATS, as one is rather poorly constructed by Winnie Holzman from a fantastic source material by Gregory Maguire, and the other constructed by Trevor Nunn with the source material being these fantastic poems by the late great T.S. Eliot is a bit laughable. CATS is a "spectacle" show in the same vein as wicked (and they both have their "assents") but its text and songs are based on those poems by T.S. Eliot who probably ranks as one of the most important poets of the 1900s, and even these poems which were initially written for children are not even on the same intelligence legal as that of the book to wicked.

and I, of course, admit that CATS is not without flaws. it has many. but, I will say that most of it's flaws are due to the fact that Eliot had passed on and was not able to write any new material. the Eliot estate being, understandably, very cautious about the project was adamant about them only using the words of T.S. Eliot which therefor put a bad on anything that was written that could possibly link the songs together other than the unpublished fragmented poems that Eliot had written almost suggesting an evening of theatre about one special night where a single cat is chosen to go "up, up, up past the Russell hotel and up, up, up to the Hevyside Layer". It is agreed by most that prior to his death Eliot might have had the idea for some kind of abstract evening with these poems already established. the musical can only exist as an incomplete realization of that idea. Updated On: 5/25/05 at 11:14 AM

LittleBitRacist Profile Photo
LittleBitRacist
#104re: Last Song:DEYFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:13pm

yarn yarn yarn...my advice: get another username, start fresh, and dont mention singing defying gravity ever again, maybe we wont recognize you.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#105re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:28pm

1. You spelled Defying gravity wrong
2. Why do you think that you can pull this off?
3. Good luck, and I would agree with littlebitracist

~kangaroore: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#106re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:30pm

yarn yarn yarn...my advice: get another username, start fresh, and dont mention singing defying gravity ever again, maybe we wont recognize you.

Excellent advice that should not be overlooked.

This is my signature.

Annie Get Your Rose
#107re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:31pm

I would never pick to sing this song. But whatever floats your boat. But get a new alias so you will not be abused. re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY

#108re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:37pm

Let me get this straight - a young person who gets to sing solo with their group for special occasions, and gets to sing a song they like a lot (which, by the way, I would GUARANTEE not many people outside of the theatre world know about) is supposed to feel embarrassed or shameful for being excited about it - and having the temerity to post about it on a *gasp* THEATRE BOARD?

Say what you want, I guess, but many of you have come out looking like fools.

Yarn - congratulations, and I hope it goes well for you and your choir. Also, I really hope you enthusiasm for performing doesn't diminish - this is simply a small taste of how ridiculous other people can be. Just remember that the audience will be able to tell if you really love what you're doing and let them share in that experience.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#109re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:40pm

Well, I was aying I have a wide variety of tastes...from ASU to Sweeney Todd. They all offer something different. That's what I love!

stylinbohemian
#110re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/25/05 at 7:06pm

Defying Gravity right on!

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#111re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:31am

wow. I have the weird feeling I am reading script excerpts from CAMP II- The Wickafying!

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#112re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:24pm

DGrant, well said!

lori2
#113re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:51pm

after I read this comment, I laughed for the first time today. This is just plain amusing now. Poor guy.

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#114re: Last Song:DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted: 5/26/05 at 3:58pm

be careful, but my friend mandee was amazing singing it at the chorus concert, so you never know

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous