pixeltracker

Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?

Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#0Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:24am

Gypsy1527's post on the Wicked thread bemaoning the lack of entrance applause got me thinking about the "phenomenon" of applauding people purely for walking on stage. In one person shows like 700 Sundays or At Liberty, it's understandable but for plays and musicals, I personally loathe it. What does anyone else think?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 10:24 AM

Plum
#1re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:29am

It depends on the situation. Some shows break the fourth wall so much that entrance applause is just the first example of it. But I have to say, as much as I adore, say, Joanna Gleason, it was distracting when she got entrance applause. At least Dirty Rotten Scoundrels took care not to give any of its stars big diva entrances.

bunchamuncha Profile Photo
bunchamuncha
#2re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:30am

As long as it doesn't interfere with the dialogue, I don't mind it. It drives me a little more batty at the ballet when they do it b/c I can't hear the music.

If you really want to help the American theater, don't be an actress, dahling. Be an audience..... Don't be taken in by the guff that critics are killing the theater. Commonly they sin on the side of enthusiasm. Too often they give their blessing to trash... Tallulah Bankhead

WOSQ
#3re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:32am

Lately shows have been directed to either encourage/allow for entrance applause or specifically to avoid it.

Vanessa Redgrave in Orpheus Descending backed onto the stage during a scene where her character was talking and by the time she reached down center and turned around, the audience was already in the scene and it killed any applause.

Sometimes it is in the writing like Mama Rose in Gypsy.

It all depends on the set-up. If it is a big star, one has to be quite deliberate in devising a way to kill it. See above.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#4re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:34am

I'm not a fan of it unless it is their last performance, or the final show of the run. But I'm British, so it goes with rarely giving standing ovations either re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?

mandy2loveRB
#5re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:43am

I don't mind when it does not interrupt the show itself...but I guess sometimes it is required as a courtesy of Theatre-goers...I don't know...maybe I am too much influenced by "Kabuki" etiquette:) (Even though I am not Japanese, I admire Kabuki...)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#6re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:43am

It all depends. I agree that Joanna Gleason's entrance applause was awkward. However, at the final performance of Little Women, Sutton and Maureen both got a lot of well deserved entrance applause. Also, I will never forget the first preview of Sweet Charity when Charlotte D'Amboise got like 2 minutes straight of entrance applause. It was incredible...and she is a much better dancer than Christina.

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#7re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:45am

I know that when I went and saw Wicked, I wanted to applaud for Shoshana entering because it's the first time we see our heroine! And I knew Shoshana was going to be great, so why not show her right away that you love her? I don't mind it so mcuh...I just don't like it to last a long time; show your appreciation and then let them carry on.

I know that if I was a performer and I walked out on stage and the audience applauded my presence, it would be a very positive experience. Of course, you have to learn where positive reinforcement like that transforms into egotism in the actor and know where to draw that line. For instance, Carol Shelley walked out on stage and I could tell she was expecting the applause, so I didn't give it to her. And neither did anyone else. And I'm glad I didn't because she was pretty awful, overall.

I applauded George Hearn--'cuz, I mean, come on, it's George Hearn--but not many other people did, I think because not many people knew his significance.

In short, I like entrance applause. re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

popcultureboy
#8re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:46am

I know that for Virginia Woolf, they had to re-block to allow for Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin's entrance applause. Initially they were just going to carry on with the show, but the audience didn't stop applauding and it had to be re-blocked.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

BwayTheatre11
#9re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:47am

I agree that unless it is a special performance, I don't care for it.

The curtain call is for all of the praise.

CCM '10!

romanov
#10re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:47am

I understand why audiences do it, but I don't agree with it. After all, the person hasn't done anything yet.

mikewood
#11re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:49am

I hate entrance applause...... hate it, hate it, hate it!

Unless it's for me!

BLAH BLAH BLAH

popcultureboy
#12re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:49am

Exactly. And when everyone except Lily Rabe got entrance applause in Steel Magnolias, I wanted to chew my own arm off.

Gothampc
#13re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:51am

Entrance applause is not acceptable under any circumstances. The performance has started and the audience needs to be quiet.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Plum
#14re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:53am

Are you against applause at the end of a number or scene, too, Goth? Because shows are quite often written with those in mind.

twogaab2
#15re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:56am

It's a Broadway tradition.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

mandy2loveRB
#16re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:57am

...I think it is a matter of preference, but one thing I hate seeing is, when the actor/actress obviouly expecting the Entrance Applause yet he/she does not get one...I know, I know, they might have a reason not to deserve one, but I just feel so bad for them and hope that does not affect their performance that night.
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 10:57 AM

Practically Perfect Profile Photo
Practically Perfect
#17re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 10:57am

It has really lost it's meaning - if it's for a legend, like Bernadette, then fair enough, but for Shoshana Bean... she may be good, but she's not a star.

Mary P x

mikewood
#18re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:01am

All kidding aside, I agree with Gotham's sentiment.

As an actor, I imagine it must be annoying and distracting. Not having experienced it myself....

Don't want to start another thread for this but what about exit applause for a continuing scene, that's annoying for the actors still on stage.

When I did "To Kill a Mockingbird" there is a scene where Atticus sends the children home with the maid and she exits while chewing out the kids and in most the shows the audience broke out into spontaneous applause for the scene...Great reaction! However, the scene is not over because immediately after Bob Ewell confronts Atticus and spits in his face. So visually even though most of the audience was focused ont he maid and the kids, there is uncomfortable lull on the main stage while Atticus and Bob wait to do their scene.

When I was a mechanical in Midsummer Night's Dream, we got a lot of exit applause...gotta admit...I loved it.

BLAH BLAH BLAH
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 11:01 AM

popcultureboy
#19re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:06am

what about exit applause for a continuing scene, that's annoying for the actors still on stage.

Yes it probably is, but I have less of a problem with that because at least the performer being applauded has done something worthy of the applause, as opposed to just showing up.

And to address an earlier comment about expecting entrance applause, Count Fosco's appearance in Act One of Woman In White is so horribly obviously designed to garner entrance applause and the day I saw it, it failed spectacularly.

Gothampc
#20re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:13am

The question is why do we need to applaud anyone when they first enter? They haven't done anything but show up on time. I don't agree that stars or legends need to be applauded. They know we are eager to see them because our butts are sitting in the seats. There is plenty of time for applause after a song or at the curtain call.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 11:13 AM

bonna
#21re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:17am

For decades it's been tradition to applaud a star or other notable actor upon their first entrance. Not only appropriate but it's a tradition that should be upheld, and one I much prefer to the standing ovation that has become a curtain call standard.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#22re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:22am

I think it depends on the situation, in a number of different ways. For example, Raúl Esparza's entrance in CCBB begs to be applauded; the man enters on a huge swing for goodness' sake. It's an elaborate entrance, and he's only got about one line before he's whisked off into the wings again. It's not really an interruption there. But, while there are people who do absolutely deserve it (like Joanna Gleason in DRS), if their entrance isn't contingent to entrance applause, I could see how it's a bit of a bother, and even a distraction. I wouldn't say I hate it, though, because I think they deserve the acknowledgement.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

yodamarie78 Profile Photo
yodamarie78
#23re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:23am

I agree bonna. I enjoy giving entrance applause to show the actor I like them and appreciate their body of work. One earns entrance applause by having an impressive body of work behind them.
On the other hand I hate the obligatory Standing Ovation. The SO is earned by giving an exceptional performance that evening. If I was not blown away by the show there is no way I'm standing for curtain call, even if it means not being able to see most of it.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#24re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:24am

Bonna, you beat me to it. Actually, I'm quite suprised, even shocked, that this thread was started. It is a tradition to applaud a legitimate star on his/her entrance. It is expected, as a tribute to the star's previous triumphs. I believe it would be rude not to applaud when a famous (usually award-winning) star makes an entrance.
And I agree also about the standing ovation, though I must admit it's much more common for me to feel like standing after a musical than a straight play (perhaps because a musical requires in integration of so many elements--acting, singing, dancing, comedy, drama, etc.) that when they come together, it does deserve an ovation.
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 11:24 AM

Videos