pixeltracker

broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!

broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#0broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 5:56pm

Hello, my BWW people! I don't like starting threads b/c I have the special gift of killing them when I post but I wanted to tell people about this beautiful new musical. This isn't a review b/c I'm not even going to attempt being a critic.

I saw Piazza on Thursday night and it is, in my opinion(but I still haven't seen Bee), the best musical of the season and possibly my favorite of all time. I bow down to Adam Guettel for giving me this music. Every note is so beautiful and memorable, those melodies were etched in my mind the second I heard them, and there they shall stay.

I love the story; It's simple yet complicated and it just makes for a perfect musical. Love is born in a foreign land then gets taken away, but not for the reason you might think. Oh, this show is perfect and flawless.

Before, I was all about Sara Ramirez winning the Tony but Kelli O'Hara has put some serious doubt in my head. She is so talented and perfect in this role, I'm very torn. Victoria sings beautifully and is quite funny, but I did have to get used to that accent. And Matthew singing in Italian. *sighs*

This show took my breathe away figuratively and literally speaking. I could not breathe at the end of act 1, and at the end of the show, when I'm usually woo-hooing for the actors, I couldn't get a peep out because I was on the verge of tears. I don't know why I felt the urge to cry b/c it's not a sad, dramatic show. It's somewhere between that and comedy.

If you haven't seen this show, please do so. It's not boring, it's not only for adults, it's for anyone who loves musical theatre.

Ask away if you have any specific questions about the show. Sorry if this hasn't done a good job of convincing you how great this show is but I'm thinking of getting help. I hear Emcee is holding classes on Monday nights on writing successful threads for BWW. But her fees are astronomical!

Stage door-

I waited at the stage door and I met Matt Morrison. He was a gem and a doll. There was a small group waiting there but they all knew cast members or something. I feel so silly b/c I asked this woman who was standing alone by the SD if she'd take a pic of me and MM and she said yes and took my camera. Then, her friend comes out and she runs over to say hi. So, when MM comes out, her friend intros her to him and turns out she's some famous novelist. Whoops!

Anyway, Matthew was so kind to me. He figured I was nervous and gave me a hug/squeeze to loosen me up but it only made me want to faint. I told him that I was a fan and that he did a great job. Then, he saw that I was holding a camera and asked if I wanted a pic, I shook my head. He stretched his arm and took the pic himself. He's such a sweetheart! I thanked him and he went on his way.

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#1re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:06pm

Piazza is so beautiful. Seeing it for the second time on Saturday. BTW, has anybody seen Patti Cohenour go on for Victoria Clark?

broadway betty
#2re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:28pm

Welcome to the boards, Lucille! I hope to see it again on Wednesday, so excited!

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#3re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:30pm

Thanks for the welcome. BTW, I have never stage doored this show. Does Clark and O'Hara sign?

broadway betty
#4re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:54pm

Kelli came out and I'm sure she would sign but I left cuz she was talking to her friends and I had to get home. I might stick around a bit longer on Wed. and tell the ladies how much I love them and the show. Just ordered my ticket, yay!

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#5re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 6:55pm

So glad you enjoyed it enough to go again. I can't wait to see it again myself in 6 days!

broadway betty
#6re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 7:05pm

Oh, I'm going to be making that trip into the city quite a few times over the summer to see this show. I can't believe it has to close, it's so unfair. I'm going to be devastated on September 4th.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#7re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 7:23pm

I'm so happy to be moving back to NYC right before it closes -- I'll definitely be seeing it again!

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Alejandra925 Profile Photo
Alejandra925
#8re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 11:24pm

>Before, I was all about Sara Ramirez winning the Tony but Kelli O'Hara has put some serious doubt in my head. She is so talented and perfect in this role, I'm very torn. Victoria sings beautifully and is quite funny, but I did have to get used to that accent. And Matthew singing in Italian. *sighs*

Wow, coming from you, that's surprising to hear, bb. :) I'm so glad you loved Piazza. :) Matt and Kelli are *wonderful*. The music is beautiful; I'm especially fond of Light in the Piazza and Passegiata.

Alejandra

broadway betty
#9re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/29/05 at 11:53pm

I surprised myself by saying that, Alejandra. I still love Sara but Kelli is doing a beautiful job. And, the thing is, I love the show more than any individual performance. I love Sara in Spam and Norbert in DRS but I love everything about Piazza. I'll say it again, I think this is my favorite show ever.

#10re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 12:34am

I really want to see this, I'm a member of Studentix(the new "student rush" deal Lincoln Center has created) and am thinking of going to the show sometime this summer.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#11re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 12:42am

Nice to see a new fan created.
I thought the show worked beautifully in the theatre and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Then I bought the cast album and truly realized no one is writing for the musical theatre today with quite the musical accomplishment of Adam Guettel. It's extremely impressive and I already can't wait for his next musical.
Pick up Myths and Hymns if you are unfamiliar with Guettel. I think the score to Floyd Collins (his first show) is better, but I imagine Myths and Hymns would run more to most people's tastes, and it features an array of great talent.

broadway betty
#12re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:10am

Thanks, bwaysinger. I tend to run out and but every cd I can find when I like a show or performer. Adam Guettel, I have no words!

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#13re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:19am

Just listen to "How Glory Goes" from Floyd Collins. It's spectacular. Also, Audra does a moving version on her CD, "How Glory Goes"

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#14re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:28am

I am really glad you loved the show and so envious that you saw it and met Matt ! Hope it runs another year, so I have the chance to see it on my next trip to NYC !

broadway betty
#15re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:53am

I hope they keep extending it so you have the chance to see it. Why is it that the best musical I have ever seen has to close in September? Andre Bishop and Bernard Gersten will be recieving some letters from me pleading for this show to stay forever!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#16re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 12:00pm

Nice "review."

Hopefully I will see this soon!

broadway betty
#17re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 1:11pm

Please go see this soon! I've let more than two months pass before seeing it and I'm kicking myself now because the thing is closing in a few short months.

#18re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/30/05 at 1:15pm

im seeing Piazza for the fourth time the Tuesday after the Tonys.

broadway betty
#19re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 12:58am

Bumping my thread so you guys can talk about how great this show is. Anyone else praying for an upset so it'll win best musical?

#20re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 1:05am

All I can say is, you're not alone!

#21re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:16am

I'm with you!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#22re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:28am

Kelli definitely deserves it over Sarah (saw both)

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#23re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 8:00am

I think it would be an upset if it won. My wife disagrees, she thinks it will win. We have now seen 3 of the 4, seeing "Bee" tonight.

broadway betty
#24re: broadway betty has fallen in love with Piazza!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 9:17am

I wanted to see Bee tomorrow but I can't help wanting to see Piazza again. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it should win, it deserves it! If you were to ask me a week aso, I'd say Sara should win and I'd fight anyone who said otherwise but now I think I'd be really upset if Kelli doesn't walk away with it. Nothing would make me happier than to see Adam Guettel and his perfect show win a truckload of Tonys.

Videos