Children Of Eden

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#0Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:50pm

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the show? I think it is a great work by Stephen Schwartz. Hopefully, one of these days it will come to broadway. Please post your opinions on the show.

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#1re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:50pm

i love the music, ive never actually seen the show though.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

Thesbijean
#2re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/9/05 at 11:03pm

It is a beautiful show, but it will never come to Broadway.

musicnmath
#3re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/9/05 at 11:38pm

It was done in Phoenix (not known for its theatre) a few years ago and was astonishingly good. I ran out at intermission and bought tickets for my whole family for christmas. It produced that Lion-King-like wonder.

There was a thread a while ago with people saying some not so nice things, but personally I rate it in my top 10 favourite musicals. I'd love to be in it.

Blair
#4re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 12:28am

I was just in it at school this year. I'm a fan, and I can't say that much about most Schwartz musicals. The story is beautiful, though I still don't think half of our cast knew what it was actually about. It's not a bible story, though the show centers around Genesis. There are so many ways you can interpret it, and that's what I love about the show.

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#5re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 12:33am

I love this show, I was a challenge to do, but the most worth while. I do hope that they bring it to broadway soon!

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#6re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 1:23am

"Lost in the Wilderness" is a BRILLIANT song.

But other than that I think the music's a bit blah. "Stranger to the Rain" makes me upset because in the middle of the song you think something exciting's going to happen and then it doesn't.

And, yeah, I don't see it ever going to broadway.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Cages or Wings
#7re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 1:27am

I agree "Lost in the Wilderness" is amazing (as is Darius de Haas's voice *melts*), but I think "Stranger to the Rain" is one of the few other viable songs in the score. An enjoyable show, with a beautiful story, but it could have been so much more (talk about amazing source material).

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#8re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 1:29am

It's one of those shows that you want to like a lot and then you sort realize at the end that you're just unsatisfied.

But I love the end to lost in the wilderness. I kind of listen to it over and over and over and over and over and over...

:0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Cages or Wings
#9re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 1:33am

That's a great way to put it. You have these beautiful and dynamic family stories being musical-ized and they could be wonderful (ESPECIALLY Act One... Adam and Eve and Cain and Abel *chills* great stories) But at the end of the day you jst aren't satisfied with it.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#10re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 10:21am

It's a Schwartz show - I won't be seeing it anytime soon.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#11re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 3:40pm

Wow, talk about biased.

Just to tell you mate, Schwartz is one of the greatest broadway composers ever.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#12re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 3:45pm

Yep, it's a good example of a show never becoming more than the sum of its parts. Most of the songs are pleasant enough but the various threads don't pull together and become something bigger or more emotional than what's on the page.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 7:26pm

I saw a production of this at Ford's Theatre a year ago. It was extraordinarily well done. Incidentally, I was at a kennedy Center last month and Schwartz was there as a speaker. He mentioned this was his favorite show he has done.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Icbanannie Profile Photo
Icbanannie
#14re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 7:50pm

I saw it at the FORD also and it was SOOO amazing! It is one of my top 10 favorite shows! The music is so brillant, and it is a moving story.

MTRBOI24
#15re: Children Of Eden
Posted: 6/10/05 at 8:17pm

Had he won wicked, he may have had a chance, hehe.

Videos