The Pillowman questions

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:30pm

I am thinking of going to see this show and was wondering where I could find an in depth (but non-spoiling) summary of it. Also, is it scary? If so, in what way? Like being startled and jumping scary or gripping and intense scary? Thanks! :)

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:53pm

Anyone?

cabarethed
#2re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:58pm

There are some startling moments in it, a couple gross ones, and very gripping ones. The only one I'd warn you about is when Billy Crudup first turns to the audience and starts narrating a story. That's the only part that kept me from sleeping that night.
It's honestly best if you don't know too much about the show.
Updated On: 6/16/05 at 10:58 PM

MargoChanning
#3re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:01pm

It didn't shock me, but then I don't shock easily. And don't read too much about the play before you go - it's better that way. If you must know, then do a search for the review thread for the show -- all of the reviews give a basic summary of the plot.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

gavrochegirl
#4re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:03pm

Here's what I know:

A playwright's (or author's, I don't really know exactly) stories have strange connections to some recent murders in his town.

What the puck?!

Tirso de Molina
#5re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:13pm

You will NOT enjoy this play if you know what's going to be revealed in it, trust me. You want to be startled in all the right places.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#6re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 12:11am

What's the student rush/lottery situation for this show?

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#7re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 12:36am

They have student rush, but I believe they're located in box seats -- not great because of the staging. You'd be looking at the back of an actor's head for a good part of the show.

I don't shock or scare easily, but my friend and I held hands during the part that cabarethed mentioned. It's intense! re: The Pillowman questions

MyNameInLights Profile Photo
MyNameInLights
#8re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 4:50am

I really wish someone would PM me a REALLY detailed synopsis of this. I'm so intrigued, and I know I won't be able to see it. Someone please give me details!

"The stage is where I live and come alive and act out all the things that go on in my life. It's not just what I do for a living, it's my shrink and my love affair. No one in my life has ever or ever will kiss me on the mouth like this lover called my relationship with my performance."

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 7:14am

I don't scare easily, but my wife and brother-in-law were holding each others hands throughout. It can be rather scary.

From what I have heard, they only release something like 10-15 student tickets for each performance, and it is very competitive. You should PM Mabel; I know she has done it before and gotten them.

Other than that, see it! In my opinion, it's the best show on Broadway.

mabel Profile Photo
mabel
#10re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 8:09am

C'est moi, again, w/ the in's and out's (from what I can tell) for getting rush to The Pillowman. I've done it twice (Wed/Sat matinee) and for both I showed up when the box office opened (they have you line up inside the box office along the wall). I'd recommend getting there at least an hour before the tix go on sale (3 hours before the show). The Wed. mat, my friend and I were the first ones there, a little after 10, but it filled up fast, and the second time I got there for the Sat mat a little before 10, and I was the second person there (also filled up fast). There are 12 spots, I believe (at least there were both days I was there). I think there are 8 seats in the boxes, and I'm not really sure where the other four are...scattered obstructed orchestra singles??...Both times I saw it, I sat in the right boxes, and it honestly wasn't that bad. I've only sat in the right box, and there are only one or two spots that you have to kind of lean over to see the action. And MatureDignity mentioned only seeing the back's of actors heads...it wasn't that bad from where I was (I think the farther back in the box you are, the better...not that you really have any control over what seats you're given).

Sorry that got so rambling! Good luck! re: The Pillowman questions

But when did New Hampshire become--Such a backward wasteland of seatbelt hating crazies?...I mean, only 40 people actually live there. The others are just visitors who come for the tax-free liquor and three inches of novelty coastline. John Hodgeman on The Daily Show (1-30-07)

Plum
#11re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 12:06pm

I arrived 15 minutes early to get student rush seats, and only managed to get standing room. However, the view from the back of the orchestra is excellent, and an usher invited my friend and I to sit down in abandoned seats in Act II.

The show has some startling moments, but there's a lot more dark comedy than pure horror in it.
Updated On: 6/17/05 at 12:06 PM

Staci1818 Profile Photo
Staci1818
#12re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 12:18pm

I got student rush seats for a Wednesday night. I got there around half an hour beofore the seats went on sale and got seats on the far right. They were fair, I was looking at the back of the heads of anyone facing the left side of the house, and I couldn't see the right side of the stage well. There was one moment when I really couldn't see as well as I wanted, but for $20 the seats were certainly worth it. After intermission the people infron of me left, and i moved a seat up, which helped the view alot. My advice is to get there around an hour before the rush seats go on sale, since I was there on one of the slower nights.

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#13re: The Pillowman questions
Posted: 6/17/05 at 5:17pm

I arrived around 45 minutes before the tickets went on sale and I was second in line (this was in early May). I was in the right box. It was mostly a fine seat (especially for the price!), except for a brief part of the second half. I wanted to go take an empty seat in the first row after intermission but there was only one and I was there with my mom. A lot of the other people with rush seats "traded up" for the second half.

MyNameinLights- you should order the script off Amazon. It's a hard play to describe. It's also not a play that would read very well, but you can kind of get the idea.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

Videos