News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

DRS Signing @ Tower

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#0DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 8:35pm

Anybody else go? I thought it was a great setup. Got to meet and talk to Sherie, Yazbek and Greg. Norbert just kind of gave me a blank stare, while John kind of mouthed the word "hi" and gave me a smile. They both spent the whole time at the end of the table chatting. Sara Gettelfinger didn't show by the time i left (5:30, started @ 5) and Joanna Gleason was found "ill" last minute. Does that lady ever be seen? W/e, I thought it went fairly well.

Message Board Signature
Updated On: 6/23/05 at 08:35 PM

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#1re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 8:40pm

Anybody go? I really would like to know because I would think I wouldve seen you there if you were, since it was just like one line on that level.

Message Board Signature

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 8:54pm

Joanna found ill last minute - WHAT A SUPRISE! Not.

Well atleast Sherie, Greg, and Yazbek were nice. I wish I could've gone.

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#3re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 8:57pm

I know. I'm really curious to see what Joanna's like in person. But it was crazy, the relationship between actor and fan, when NLB just looks at me, but I feel like I know him so well from all that I've seen him in. Greg definately deserved the Nicest Actor Award, btw.

Message Board Signature

Yankeefan007
#4re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:08pm

joannas nice in person, when shes healthy. she was very pleasant at the CD giveaway signing

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:10pm

Joanna wasn't there?

YES! Now I'm not sad I didn;t go!

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#6re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:12pm

I want to know if she felt "well" enough to attend tonight's performance.

Message Board Signature

hypertruffle
#7re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:12pm

T_T Damnit! Why did my brother's graduation had to be the same date and time as this???? *shakes fist* Darn you theater gods!

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#8re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:17pm

I met Norbert after a performance of DRS one night and he was really sweet. He gave me hug, signed my playbill and took a picture with me.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#9re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:23pm

Really? He didn't say a word from what I saw. Maybe a bad day.

Message Board Signature

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#10re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:26pm

doogie, i was there i got cold responses from everybody but sherie and greg, although john did talk to me when i got the picture with him(my new icon) all he said was "you may do anything you want as long as i don't have to pose" so yes, i climbed up on the platform and my friend waited for him to look up. I was actually joking about joanna to sherie, kurt, and greg. they claimed she actually had a doctor's appoint ment this time.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ProducersFan
#11re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:28pm

Norbert was really sweet the two times I saw him at the stage door. He couldn't stop to pose for photos as he was in a rush, and explained that if he posed for one he'd have to stop for everyone, which I entirely understand. I'm surprised the two of them were "off on their own" as they both seem very giving towards their fans.

I'm sad I couldn't make it, being back in Baltimore really makes you miss NYC. Plus I got my wisdom teeth taken out this morning, so seeing the DRS cast would have been an excellent alternative! re: DRS Signing @ Tower

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#12re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:32pm

Jonart-thanks for the input, I'm glad I'm not really the only one! And Producersfan, congrats on the wisdom teeth.
The reason David Yazbek was so nice to me is because Sherie showed him my t-shirt (DRS) and told him I was a big fan because she asked if I liked the score and I said "yes". I actually am a big fan, I have one of his other CD's ("Laughing Man"). If I hadnt been talking to Greg mostly, I would've mentioned it.

Message Board Signature
Updated On: 6/23/05 at 09:32 PM

jonartdesigns
#13re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:32pm

as soon as the cd booklets reached yazbek they essentially just were slid down and you picked one up at the end (greg appoligized about this pointing out its impersonal but faster that way), i ended up with a much nicer/ new one during this since mine was in my pocket for the bus ride from jersey so it was win win.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#14re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:37pm

That explains it. But why did we get to be "personal" with Sherie, Yazbek and Greg, but after that it just got quickly shoved along?

Message Board Signature

jonartdesigns
#15re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:47pm

at least you got to talk to yazbek, when i got up ther he was sideways talking to norbert

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#16re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 9:53pm

I didn't really talk to Yazbek that much. He did say "Hey! You have the t-shirt!", so that was pretty cool. I wanna go see the show again possibly third week of July, so I can see the cast at the stage door (I know Joanna doesn't show). Any of you know if anyones out that week? I hear July is kinda crazy for DRS cast attendance.

Message Board Signature

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#17re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 10:15pm

I DO NOT understand why a cast that NEEDS this type of publicity (especially for the sale of their CD) would be so cold. I am SURE that there wasn't an insane or out of control amount of people there. I would think that, as a performer, to have fans coming up at a SCHEDULED "meet and greet", one would enjoy and welcome some conversation from their supporters and fans, without whom, they would be without a job.
Updated On: 6/23/05 at 10:15 PM

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#18re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 10:21pm

I agree. I'm not exactly sure how long this line was, I got there very early so I was close...I think it was pretty long, went all the way in the back. But it wasn't outragous. If the cast of Spamalot was signing, I'm sure it'd be huge, and I'm sure they would all just do a sign-and-pass, understandably. I was dissapointed by Butz and Lithgow. Greg and the rest made up for it, though.

Message Board Signature

halyiaganitefiz
#19re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 10:33pm

wow, that's very strange to hear it was so cold! when i stagedoored them in may, i was received very well and got pictures with/autographs of sherie, norbert, john, greg, and sara, and they were all exhausted beyond belief but they found the strength to sign, pose, and even talk a little bit. norbert was practically falling over himself he was so tired but he smiled and was very nice. and sherie was extremely sick, bad cold, but she was chipper and smiley. sara was shy but nice, john was quiet, professional, and polite, and greg was greg (i.e., extraordinarly nice above and beyond expectation).

i was sad because joanna doesn't come out... but i heard from people on the inside that she's VERY shy. shyness on broadway is seen by fans as an excuse for diva-ism, i've discovered, but most of the time they're just plain shy. i don't want to start an argument, because i know there's a decent number of people who think of her as a huge snob because she's of few words and moved quickly when signing playbills at the stagedoor, but idina menzel for example. very very shy woman in real life, around fans. people in that big of a group all screaming her name weirds her out. (off-topic: i met idina at the stagedoor last july and was careful not to freak out near her, but because i was careful she posed for a photo, which didn't happen a lot after the Tony's. so from my experience, it's a matter of people and how you act.) i suppose joanna is the same.

back on-topic, though, i definitely find it weird that norbs was so... blank, as you said.

jonartdesigns
#20re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 10:42pm

side note, marty bell, the producer showed up while i was up there and was rather annpyed about the lack of sara and joanna... not to say i blame him because i'll tell you joanna was one of my reasons for going since i knew she was a hard person to get a signature from

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#21re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 10:53pm

this is off topic, but is there anyway of getting Joanna's signature....and is Sherie doign stage door again.......

i wish i could have gone...but sadly i had reheasel

HumorousConclusion Profile Photo
HumorousConclusion
#22re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 11:25pm

Did Sara not show up? I saw the show yesterday, and she wasn't there so I figured she was probably sick.
Updated On: 6/23/05 at 11:25 PM

HumorousConclusion Profile Photo
HumorousConclusion
#23re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 11:25pm

double post Updated On: 6/23/05 at 11:25 PM

jonartdesigns
#24re: DRS Signing @ Tower
Posted: 6/23/05 at 11:35pm

yeah sarah was missing too, though the smartly filled in the 2 empty chairs on the table very quickly with marty bell and sherie's husband and son

Videos