pixeltracker

Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...

Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#0Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:19pm

sang "Better" from Little Women for an uptempo peice for an audition? Just curious. If not, I am also looking at "Facade" from Jekyll & Hyde. I have a ballad...so...just wondering about this.

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:29pm

They are both pretty lame songs. I'd choose something better. The auditors may confuse your bad choice of material with lack of talent.

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#2re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 12:33pm

really, what about "Leaning on a Lamp" from Me and My Girl...

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#3re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:03pm

Would WHO be turned off? People on this board?

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#4re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:05pm

NO if you were the casting director...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:22pm

Well, if you're amazing I really wouldn't care what song you sang. But..."Facade" is a terrible audition piece. "Better" is...better than "Facade," but it's also the worst song from LITTLE WOMEN - not to mention one of the worst songs written for a musical in the last 10 years - if not more.

Do something else.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#6re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:28pm

If you really wanted to wow them, sing "Defying Gravity". Or maybe "On My Own". That'll seal the deal.

Honestly, "Astonishing" is a much better choice that "Better", if you truly want to sing something from Little Women.

ETA: I was kidding for those who didn't catch on.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 6/29/05 at 01:28 PM

munkustrap178
#7re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:29pm

....hardly.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#8re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:32pm

I would stay away from Defying Gravity and On My Own, so overdone. I was at an audition the other day and 3 people in a row sang Defying Gravity. Casting Directors may not give you full attention if they are sick to death of hearing the same song over and over again. Just my 2 cents!

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#9re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:32pm

I think that most of the songs on Little Women have those really "audition song" feel to them.

If you're looking for something cutesy though and extremely rangey, try and get your hands on The Girl in 14G.

This is my signature.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#10re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:33pm

Good choice, Aigoo.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

munkustrap178
#11re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:34pm

Yes, it's rangy and showy - but overdone and obnoxious.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#12re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:37pm

Hyperchet, if you're looking for audition song help, mind filling us in on some details?

Gender? Range?
If you're a female, belt? Soprano?

This is my signature.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#13re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 1:41pm

Well, I've done casting and, honestly, I rarely care what song a performer brings in. It just matters if they do it well. I may not especially want to hear 'On My Own' but if someone comes in and sings a great 'On My Own' then I'm going to cast them.

People spend WAY too much time worrying about this.

roquat
#14re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:42pm

Don't EVER sing:

On My Own (or anything from "Les Miz")
Defying Gravity
If I Loved You
Soliloquy
Much More (from "Fantasticks")
Tomorrow
Memory
Anthem (from "Chess")
The Music of the Night

And ESPECIALLY

That'll Show Him from "Forum" I DO NOT KNOW why so many women think that's a perfect little audition number--it isn't funny and doesn't even really work in the show!

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#15re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:46pm

If you must sing a song called "Better," I would sing the "Better" from A Class Act. It's better that the other "Better."

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#16re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:48pm

for audition songs, i've always been told that it's smart to stay away from anything that is "owned" by a particular performer..."memory" just made me think of that because when someone hears that song, they always hear betty buckley, and obviously it would be exceptionally difficult to be at her level or better.

just a thought. re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...

dietcherryemma
#17re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:50pm

Can you buy sheetmusic to "Girl in 14G"? It's an interesting piece... but for an audition, I agree- stay away from recent shows.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#18re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:53pm

I know several chicks who have sheet music for "The Girl From 14G."

I don't associate "Memory" with Betty at all not do I think most people do, nonetheless I would still stay away from it.

EDIT: I don't think TGF14G is a strong audition song either. Just my two cents.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns
Updated On: 6/29/05 at 03:53 PM

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#19re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 3:57pm

Now, honestly - Girl in 14G was written specifically for Kristen's voice...do you honestly think you can sing it as well or better than she can? Even if you DO get the sheet music - save it for the shower - those kinds of songs get tremendously overdone at auditions, and people have probably already been doing that one for a while - the CD's been out for 2 years or more - it would have been very easy to have it transcribed and performed. Please do yourself a favor and don't sing it.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

dietcherryemma
#20re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:03pm

Oh, I just wanted the sheetmusic to play around with on the piano- I don't think it would be a wise audition piece at all.

Falsettoland Profile Photo
Falsettoland
#21re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:04pm

I agree on it all coming down to talent. But only do something well known if you can do it at least as well as, if not better than the person who's known for it. Which is generally unlikely.

That said, if I have to sit through another rendition of "All That Jazz" I may throw something.

"We are engaged in two wars, one on drugs and one on terror, that can never be won. I mean, one is a group of inanimate objects and the other is an emotion. We might as well fight a war on pasta, which I guess the Atkins people are actually doing."

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#22re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:08pm

Stay with not-overdone, but not so uncommon that the accompanist doesn't know the piece. Those piano players are the ones that will change your destinah. O_O

This is my signature.

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#23re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:10pm

OK Lets see.. male, I need uptempo peice...I have a tenory/barely baritony voice...like I can sing Tenor and Baritone...

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#24re: Would you be TOTALLY turned off if I...
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:13pm

What show are you auditioning for?

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Videos