The Movie Wicked

The Gaper
#0The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:17pm

If Wicked was turned into a movie would you rather it be a musical or not?

Swiftynifty15
#1re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:20pm

I would like it to be a musical. re: The Movie Wicked

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:22pm

How many posts are you going to make about this??????

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

The Gaper
#3re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:24pm

i cant find my other post re: The Movie Wicked

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#4re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:26pm

S'right here, m'dear.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=860573#1263875

Click on your Profile, and you can see the recent posts you've made.

This is my signature.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:27pm

Ah, you're new.

Welcome! re: The Movie Wicked

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

The Gaper
#6re: The Movie Wicked
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:29pm

i could find it

The Gaper
#7Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:32pm

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#8Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:38pm

Well, I'll reply in this post.

If Wicked were made into a movie, I would want it as a non-musical. As much as I enjoy the music, I can't see it appealing to the general public in a movie. Okay, I know that doesn't make sense...I can't really explain what I mean, but I think the music is better suited if it was performed live on a stage rather on the big screen.

If it was a non-musical, all lot of the elements that were in the book could be adapted onscreen, covering a lot of the darker points not shown in the musical.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:48pm

I'd vote for a musical movie and a non musical mini series of the book (too much to cover in a two hour movie).

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#10Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 9:55pm

I would love it to be a musical but I think it would also make an amazing dramtic movie if they went just by the book. If it were a musical people would be comparing it way too much to the staged version.
It would definitely have to be longer than 2 hours though. If they're going to cut pieces from the book they might as well base it on the musical.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

RentBoy86
#11Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:13pm

I think it should be kept as a musical. I think since its kind of playing off the Wizard of Oz thing, which was a movie musical, it should keep in that same relm of things. But i still can't picture this working as a movie musical, ever.

TheaterBaby
#12Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:36pm

"Return To Oz" was not a musical even though "The Wizard of Oz" was; but then again that movie did not do very well. Although I do own a copy. :P

ehhh I still think "Wicked" the movie would be better based more on the book.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Fabalaflies891
#13Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:40pm

I like the idea of a mini-series of the book. It has a lot in it that would need to be covered. If they were going to make a movie musical, I would rather have them tape the stage production of the OBC. It would be much better.

bwaybaby891
#14Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 10:42pm

Just to let you know that Fabalaflies891 is really me

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#15Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 11:10pm

Theaterbaby, your avatar is hilarious- Sheer BRILLIANCE!

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

TheaterBaby
#16Musical?
Posted: 7/24/05 at 11:15pm

Why thank you much. Musical? I had it specially made, but anyone is free to take it (lol not that I could stop anyone).

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to completely diss Donna Murphy. I do adore her. I just couldn't resist when I saw that photo. Those were the first words that came to my mind.

The Gaper
#17Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:16am

ok soo not a musical of wicked just base it on the book?

RentBoy86
#18Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:23am

Its hard to tell because both the book and the stage show are extremley success in their own right. However, I think the movie musical would make more money versus a screen adaption of the book. I mean the stage show has already condenced (sp?) the book to a 2hr show, which would fit neatly into a movie. Where as the book would take a LOTR style triology to explain it all.

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#19Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:28am

I dunno, if it was done right I could definitely see this working as a movie musical. If the music wasn't as ehilerating outside the theatre, why did everyone buy the soundtrack? I think it's possible, you'd just have to find a REALLY good director (especially for Defying Gravity).

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#20Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:29am

A lot of the Wicked score sounds like a Disney movie. I say turn it into a cartoon.

The book though, should be a mini-series.

The Gaper
#21Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:31am

That is so true i like the way you think. i love the music and a lot of my friends do too and they havent even seen it

The Gaper
#22Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 1:32am

oo noo not a cartoon those are soo corny
Updated On: 7/25/05 at 01:32 AM

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#23Musical?
Posted: 7/25/05 at 2:04am

if they made it into a movie i would hope they would "darken" the score a bit. i think its a little too light and happy, even in songs like "no good deed" and "no one mourns the wicked". and i would love to hear the score with a full orchestra.

Videos